Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 10:38 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Ajjam Just take the Charlotte posters advice try and make the best of what Charlotte has too offer. I know your probably going to have to force yourself to adjust to what they offer but you cant spend your time complaining about what the city lacks.. Your going to drain yourself silly doing that. There are lots of things too do in Charlotte but The Social scene is a lil bit more laid back.. If you still cant adjust, Atlanta is 3 to 4 hours away you can always come here on the weekends and get your life...
Pretty much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 10:58 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Pretty much!

Thats what I did when I went to school in Daytona. Because we new Daytona was kinda dry. We would drive to Orlando on the weekends and then come back to Daytona to handle what was important SCHOOL...

Old 10-23-2010, 11:21 AM

644 posts, read 1,430,821 times
Great advice and that whitewater thing does look like fun....mikeandike I know that Chattahoochee has white water rafting as does Helen

Old 10-24-2010, 05:18 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowOldGetWise View Post
Anyone else besides me, feel this question, "ATl people how do you really feel about Charlotte??" is almost like asking the question, "How do you really feel about the sky?"

Uhh, it's such an ambiguous, never ending answer question.

But, alas, I will try to answer this retarded question. Your answer is this, I've never felt any feelings for Charlotte. We had a one-night stand, I left the next morning, never came back.
LOL.That ABOUT sums it up!!!

Old 10-24-2010, 05:19 PM

WOW!!!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Well, you did say that Charlotte doesn't have any influence within its region because it's not the state capital. Even I had to come back and challenge you on that one. Later on you said you weren't speaking literally and I took you at your word since we have some history, but you can't expect everyone to know when you're being facetious if you guys don't have that sort of history. If it were my first time dialoguing with you, I wouldn't have had any indication that you weren't being literal.
I had no problem being wrong and being challenged.But I will not be talked to in any manner in which my intelligence or even integrity is called into question.The thing is I had already clarified that I was not being literal and yet they kept bring up and continuing to suggest that it meant as I originally stated

The guy who started this thread is entirely too overzealous; that much I can tell you. It seems as though he lives for Atlanta's approval of Charlotte and in the process has said a couple of outlandish things. Now I would say that that guy is trying to make Charlotte out to be more than what it is. But that has not been true of all of the Charlotte supporters in this thread.
Its been true for half of Charlotte posters,and that to me is a large number.

Going back over a few past pages, it seems as though this is where you and Poseidon got into it. In post 635, he talked about Charlotte's GDP being somewhat large for a city its size, especially as compared to Atlanta in terms of population. He didn't seem to be directing that statement at anyone in particular but was just mentioning it as a bit of information in general; this was after you and Carolina Blue got into it about F500 companies in Atlanta and Chicago. In the very next post, the first thing you said was "No its a stupid fact NOT worth highlighting" and from my point of view that did seem unnecessarily confrontational since Poseidon wasn't talking to anyone in general, but I don't usually jump in the middle of these little spats. That's when the bickering seemed to start between you two. Up until that point, even an Atlanta poster said that Poseidon was one of the more reasonable Charlotte posters (because I admit, qc dreamin and Carolina Blue have been somewhat confrontational). Then in a later post Poseidon snapped back at you and that's where we are now. Like I said about ajjam, you are probably unaware of his prior posting history in the Charlotte forum so that's why you seem him as being attacked unfairly. But as I said, he did initially question whether Charlotte had a symphony, ballet, or opera, and when it was shown that Charlotte does have these things like just about any other city, he quickly changed the subject to the quality of the institutions. I don't think that was fair, but coming from him, I'm not surprised.
So if someone says this:

Quote:
The quip about Charlotte not having influence within NC or on any other state is just downright foolish, and I think the person who said that knows it. It's so foolish until I won't even address it.
I should not be offended and someone calling me foolish? That's not confrontational?He knew I said it.Even if he did not he answered "the person who said it"

I will admit Carolina Blue and QCDreamin get under my skin(Im sure they'll be happy to take note)But I responded to Posideon as he keeps insulting people.It was never about simple disagreement.All about his tone.We disagree on occasion but the tone is not disrespectful .

Old 10-24-2010, 08:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I should not be offended and someone calling me foolish? That's not confrontational?He knew I said it.Even if he did not he answered "the person who said it"
To be fair, he didn't call you foolish, but he said what you said was foolish. And I should note that you called his statement "stupid" first, and that's when he called your claim "foolish." And like I said, you can't always expect people to know if you're being facetious or serious on an impersonal message board, especially if you haven't had a history of dialoguing with someone. Had I not been dialoguing with you for some time now, I wouldn't have any reason to think you were being anything but literal. Otherwise, I would have probably had a similar reaction. I've never heard anyone say that a city isn't influential because it's not a state capital, not even in jest. I don't know if that was your way of trying to slam Charlotte based on some other Charlotte posters getting under your skin, but it was a rather perplexing way to do so since it can be so easily refuted.

Quote:
I will admit Carolina Blue and QCDreamin get under my skin(Im sure they'll be happy to take note)But I responded to Posideon as he keeps insulting people.It was never about simple disagreement.All about his tone.We disagree on occasion but the tone is not disrespectful .
From my perspective, it's gone both ways. I know we always like to think of ourselves as being "fair and balanced" (I even hate using that terminology, LOL), but all of us have our biases. The way I see it, it does look like your tone did get start to get harsh first in that post where you called what Poseidon was saying as stupid, and it doesn't even look like that comment was directed at you in particular. And I'm not just sticking up for Poseidon because I'm a Charlotte supporter like he is (because I also think that qc dreamin is being quite overzealous with a lot of what he's saying), but that's honestly the way I see it.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
To be fair, he didn't call you foolish, but he said what you said was foolish. And I should note that you called his statement "stupid" first, and that's when he called your claim "foolish." And like I said, you can't always expect people to know if you're being facetious or serious on an impersonal message board, especially if you haven't had a history of dialoguing with someone. Had I not been dialoguing with you for some time now, I wouldn't have any reason to think you were being anything but literal. Otherwise, I would have probably had a similar reaction. I've never heard anyone say that a city isn't influential because it's not a state capital, not even in jest. I don't know if that was your way of trying to slam Charlotte based on some other Charlotte posters getting under your skin, but it was a rather perplexing way to do so since it can be so easily refuted.

Thats the other thing.When I made the remark about"its not even a state capitol".I really don't understand why that is so laughable.I NEVER said that was THE ONLY reason Charlotte cannot be influential.Especially if people can bring up a football team as being influential(yes I do think that is a stretch).Cities usually get influence for the following things:Economic clout, political clout or media related are major areas in influence.The only one out of those that Charlotte has(a small amount) is economic clout.But as north Carolinians like to boast they have other major cities in the state like Raleigh.Now that is "convenient" Charlotte has all this power of influence.:smack:

From my perspective, it's gone both ways. I know we always like to think of ourselves as being "fair and balanced" (I even hate using that terminology, LOL), but all of us have our biases. The way I see it, it does look like your tone did get start to get harsh first in that post where you called what Poseidon was saying as stupid, and it doesn't even look like that comment was directed at you in particular. And I'm not just sticking up for Poseidon because I'm a Charlotte supporter like he is (because I also think that qc dreamin is being quite overzealous with a lot of what he's saying), but that's honestly the way I see it.

So I listen with extreme fairness to what you said.I had got to thinking:" did I actually call P704 statement "stupid" FIRST ?I really did not rememeber but I was begining to think I did.But the remarks by me that you speak of, came after he initially made the statements I quoted earlier.Even though I stand by that I did find his foolish remark and other things confrontational.In hindsight I do think I overacted now that I have gone back and reread.I I do offer an apology to Poseidon only.Most of that anger was misdirected,.His remarks jwere last and they just touched a nerve.Along with Carolinablue,QCdreamin, I just felt ganged up on.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
I like Charlotte people on this forum. Charlotte gets my props.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:30 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
This has to be the longest thread on this forum!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta