Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 12:06 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The "ugly" already has.Its called "THE TRUTH"!
Some people just cannot handle it.I'm not one for politically correct answers just to appease someones sensibilities.
Its not like I said anything that was an opinion as fact.Yet people are deriding me as with no argument in regards to what makes me wrong in my assumptions.
Sorry,but they got the wrong one.

Its only the same few posters from Charlotte that like to argue the same crap over and over again. Poiesdon704 and Aken are the most reasonable Charlotte posters Ive seen. We have given Charlotte credit after credit on here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 01:04 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,803,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Its only the same few posters from Charlotte that like to argue the same crap over and over again. Poiesdon704 and Aken are the most reasonable Charlotte posters Ive seen. We have given Charlotte credit after credit on here....
Even though Aken and i got into really bad before with Carolina Blue's statements,I do and still respect and value his opinion even if I do disagree.However sometimes the tone in which people approach(not Aken) can seem hateful and down right disrepectful.I don't claim to know everything but I do have an opinion.If someone does not agree then there is no need to "attack" with insults as if that person is stupid.Thats one way to get on my bad side REAL bad.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:03 PM

937 posts, read 927,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Again, proves my point. "You people" start losing the debate about Fortune 500 companies, so rather than admit Charlotte and Atlanta as being essentially equals on that front, you miraculously flip Fortune 500 companies into a debate about nightlife. Like I said before, you guys are hyper sensitive and defensive. The more you keeping coming back at me about it, the more it proves my point, so keep on.

Regardless of F-500 companies, or GDP, as far as the better city: Atlanta, hands down. Charlotte's nice. Feels for family-oriented. Quiet. Atlanta's got more culture, amenities, transportation option, we've actually built up things to our highway perimeter. Ever drive around 485? Kinda feels like there's nothing there...
Charlotte's quaint, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather live in Atlanta and be part of a big-name city that actually has some character than be stuck in a banking town with an identity crisis.
Charlottans are just hyper-sensitive when Atlantans say y'all are inferior.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:28 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Atlanta is a city of transplants, including myself. I remember back 10 years ago when half the license plates on the roads were from out-of-state. I don't have a car now, so I'm not sure if this is still the case. Georgia's highway patrol might have started enforcing the 30 or 60 day registration switchover grace periods, thus ending this phoenomen of SO MANY out-of-state plates on metro area highways.
As an aside, it is legal to retain the front plate from another state in Georgia (Georgia only uses a rear plate for some reason). I've asked about it here, and I also asked the MN DOT since we came from MN (they said it was fine, but recommended that I not drive in MN with an old expired plate in front even though it might not be technically illegal).

Old 10-17-2010, 06:16 PM

265 posts, read 330,342 times
Quote:
No its a stupid fact NOT worth highlighting.The same distance is between Atlanta and Chicago in regards to GDP.Im not saying Charlotte is not important economically,obviously it is.So is Atlanta somewhere near Chicago?
Hey man, where's this attitude coming from? You must have thought you were responding to Carolina Blue because all of a sudden you're snapping at me. So I think you need to chill because I never even mentioned Chicago at all.

But I think I did indeed highlight a noteworthy fact about my city. Atlanta's metro is over three times as large as Charlotte's, but it's GDP is just a little over twice as large. I'm in no way disparaging Atlanta here, but it just shows how big of an economic punch Charlotte packs for its size. We're the 33rd largest MSA while our GDP ranks 21st. That's a nice designation for us to have, and while you may disagree, it's just a fact. I never would have thought you would have descended to childlike behavior and say, "Well I think it's a stupid fact and I'm not your friend anymore!" and storm off like that. Oh well, be that as it may.

Quote:
Actually I did not say only economically.But to be a city of prominence and influence its usually a combination of factors.The fact that those cities I mentioned have things like historical,cultural,research/high tech sectors, and economically in mostly regards to the their past reputations as well as their futures.GDP is nominal at best between these cities.NOT all a blow out.Not to mention GDP changes can be huge from year to year.Not always uniform in every city.
Okay.....

Quote:
As I said before since when did F-500 companies determine a cities importance soley or others?Seeing how city wide MSA or city,it actually works out differently.Cities like Philly have less than Charlotte too as in the link I provided shows.So my arguments is not outlandish or a defense.Its simply the truth.
I have no clue what arguments you were making, so I'm totally clueless here.

Quote:
As far as influence is concerned its really a matter of opinion.However if you were to provide some sort of proof as concrete evidence to support why "its so downright foolish " that you find it unworthy to adress then my opinion stands.
Wait a minute; did you just actually say, "If you can't show why I'm wrong, then that must mean I'm right"??? I'm totally flabbergasted!!! Whoa!!!

But anyway--and I find it silly to even be addressing this--Charlotte obviously has influence as the largest city and metro in the Carolinas; its MSA includes one SC county and the CSA includes three; many companies that service both states are located here; BOA dominates both states; the Panthers represent both states (as do the Bobcats, just on a smaller scale); Carowinds draws a large contingent of visitors from both states; and on and on and on. You've got to be totally clueless about Charlotte and its geography to have made such an unfounded statement. I'm still scratching my head at the fact that you actually said that Charlotte has absolutely no influence in either Carolinas, and one of your reasons is because it's not a state capital. I'm just dumbfounded by the sheer ignorance of it.

Quote:
If you would like to know why I and others I know feel the way we do then consider:
1)Charlotte is not a capital.Raleigh has more polital clout.
Man, I took you for being smarter than this, but I guess you're not. Let me go down the list of cities in this country that exert much more influence than their state capitals: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, San Francisco, Miami, Minneapolis, Seattle, Baltimore, New Orleans, Milwaukee, Portland, Las Vegas, Louisville, and the list goes on. Sure there are some cities that are the state capital that also are the big dogs in their states like Atlanta, Phoenix, Denver, Indianapolis, etc., but clearly being a state capital is not a prerequisite to overall influence. I can't believe you would even make sure a foolish argument; it's pretty mind-boggling actually since it is so easily disproven.

Quote:
2)You should also note that while Raleigh may not have as many F-500,it does have strong manufacturing and high tech growth.Research industry is vital to any major city.
Yes it is, but it's not like that is totally absent in Charlotte. Plus there are cities that are growing and thriving without particularly large research industries.

Quote:
3)Not to mention tourism.Neither city is particular stellar in this regard but Raleigh
Tourism isn't really a big deal and it comes naturally as a city gets larger. I'm not particularly worried about that. I'd much rather Charlotte be a great city to live in than a great city to visit, and that's very true. Even then, we do okay with certain large-scale events and our new cultural campus is sure to give us a boost in that department.

Quote:
So please save it.You got your opinions I got mine.I backed them up with solid info,so chilll out.
As far as I'm concerned, you failed to do any such thing.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:49 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Quote:
Charlotte metro is in South Carolina so of course there is some.But I believe ATL has more over the whole state of S.C. and not to mention the entire South in varying degrees.Its like saying Chattanooga has influence in Georgia seeing how it sits two states.I admit I could be wrong but if you have something substantial to disprove what I say please do so
I'm a born and bred South Carolinian, and I'd say you're incorrect here. The vast majority of SC is closer to Charlotte. The Upstate is sort of midway so it can sometimes go either way, but just about everywhere else in the state is certainly influenced more by Charlotte. It's where people are more likely to go for big-named concerts that don't come to SC, shopping, entertainment, sports, etc. I grew up in a county between Charleston and Columbia, and for the vast majority of my family members that moved out of state, they moved to Charlotte. Only one of my uncles moved to Atlanta, but he went to college in Charlotte. Don't get me wrong; Atlanta does exert an influence on SC for sure, but Charlotte has more of an immediate influence.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'm a born and bred South Carolinian, and I'd say you're incorrect here. The vast majority of SC is closer to Charlotte. The Upstate is sort of midway so it can sometimes go either way, but just about everywhere else in the state is certainly influenced more by Charlotte. It's where people are more likely to go for big-named concerts that don't come to SC, shopping, entertainment, sports, etc. I grew up in a county between Charleston and Columbia, and for the vast majority of my family members that moved out of state, they moved to Charlotte. Only one of my uncles moved to Atlanta, but he went to college in Charlotte. Don't get me wrong; Atlanta does exert an influence on SC for sure, but Charlotte has more of an immediate influence.
The immediate area of S.C. I know Charlotte does.But closer to Georgia and the western half of the state Its more Atlanta.But these are opinions ,not fact.Im not saying you are wrong but I you obviously have a different view.The family and friends I know in S.C.seem to say different.Oh well.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Hey man, where's this attitude coming from? You must have thought you were responding to Carolina Blue because all of a sudden you're snapping at me. So I think you need to chill because I never even mentioned Chicago at all.

But I think I did indeed highlight a noteworthy fact about my city. Atlanta's metro is over three times as large as Charlotte's, but it's GDP is just a little over twice as large. I'm in no way disparaging Atlanta here, but it just shows how big of an economic punch Charlotte packs for its size. We're the 33rd largest MSA while our GDP ranks 21st. That's a nice designation for us to have, and while you may disagree, it's just a fact. I never would have thought you would have descended to childlike behavior and say, "Well I think it's a stupid fact and I'm not your friend anymore!" and storm off like that. Oh well, be that as it may.

Did you not say this in response to my remarks:
Quote:
just downright foolish, and I think the person who said that knows it. It's so foolish until I won't even address it.
Okay.....

I have no clue what arguments you were making, so I'm totally clueless here.

Wait a minute; did you just actually say, "If you can't show why I'm wrong, then that must mean I'm right"??? I'm totally flabbergasted!!! Whoa!!!
Once again drawing your own conclusion.I clearly stated I had opinions.If you felt different then dont just say what I say is not worthy to be heard as you clearly did.

But anyway--and I find it silly to even be addressing this--Charlotte obviously has influence as the largest city and metro in the Carolinas; its MSA includes one SC county and the CSA includes three; many companies that service both states are located here; BOA dominates both states; the Panthers represent both states (as do the Bobcats, just on a smaller scale); Carowinds draws a large contingent of visitors from both states; and on and on and on. You've got to be totally clueless about Charlotte and its geography to have made such an unfounded statement. I'm still scratching my head at the fact that you actually said that Charlotte has absolutely no influence in either Carolinas, and one of your reasons is because it's not a state capital. I'm just dumbfounded by the sheer ignorance of it.Is this influence?Because BOA dominates?And as far as me saying none of course its not literal!Every city has some influence somewhere,but my point is if you claim to be a big city due to F-500 companies ,then clearly the city should also have the influence to back it up.Not to mention those other cities I mentioned.
Omaha has influence over Iowa if we really want to play this silly game!

Also dont play me please.You read exactly what I wrote.If you are going to take out my words out of context without regard to the other subjects mentioned then obvioulsy we can both play this game,But you know good and well that i said several factors make a city what it is.Not one by itself.This is why Atlanta is Atlanta and Charlotte is Charlotte.

Man, I took you for being smarter than this, but I guess you're not. Let me go down the list of cities in this country that exert much more influence than their state capitals: New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, San Francisco, Miami, Minneapolis, Seattle, Baltimore, New Orleans, Milwaukee, Portland, Las Vegas, Louisville, and the list goes on. Sure there are some cities that are the state capital that also are the big dogs in their states like Atlanta, Phoenix, Denver, Indianapolis, etc., but clearly being a state capital is not a prerequisite to overall influence. I can't believe you would even make sure a foolish argument; it's pretty mind-boggling actually since it is so easily disproven.
That was not my argument.You are making that argument.I said it was ONE of many reasons.Oh ,once again thanks for the insults.Once again you took one thing as if I said only ONE thing is what makes that city influential.I asked you how does Charlotte exert influence and the only "smart" thing you could think of was the less than 15 year old Bobcats and the Panthers?LOL

Yes it is, but it's not like that is totally absent in Charlotte. Plus there are cities that are growing and thriving without particularly large research industries. I was also talking about research in education.But could you please list some of those cities you speak of,because I don't know of any

Tourism isn't really a big deal and it comes naturally as a city gets larger. I'm not particularly worried about that. I'd much rather Charlotte be a great city to live in than a great city to visit, and that's very true. Even then, we do okay with certain large-scale events and our new cultural campus is sure to give us a boost in that department.
[Every major city that has substantial clout is a hub foir people to come to.All the top 25 citys in the u.S. for tourism are either cities that are known for tourism or are so big in business,that people come to see what more those cities have to offer

As far as I'm concerned, you failed to do any such thing.
I could careless what you think.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,542 times
Quote:
Thats because the question was asked by a Charlottan under a false guise of just simple inquisitiveness but in reality is nothing more than a forum to be...well defensive.Also an attempt at trying to change the minds of Atlantan's who have valid good reasons to feel they way they do but yet those reasons are just not accepted by the O.P. or the some of the other naive(or blind) Charlotte boosters.
No it wasn't. The question of the forum was how do Atlanteans feel about Charlotte. Thats all it was nothing else.This thread has turned into an ugly,immature mess. The sad part is that Charlotte and Atlanta are two of my three favorite cities in the country.Some of the responses on here from both sides have been full of attack, slander, and misjudgement. I think its time that some people take a look at themselves and ask whether or not its the cities themselves that have inferiority issues or is it the ACTUAL PERSON themselves!!

Old 10-18-2010, 09:33 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,536,422 times
I wonder have people spent time in both b/c I find it hard to believe there could be that much anger toward the other city if they did. Both are great, not sure why so much fuss.

Surely if ATL people go in the N.C forum, the N.C forum will say Charlotte is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta