Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 11:12 AM

90 posts, read 412,653 times

Advertisements

I searched other posts but nothing useful came up. Does anyone have any thoughts (negative or positive) on Tucker ? How are the schools ? From what I can see there's a Best Buy

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 11:50 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
There have been excellent posts that provided specific FYI --maybe some sort of an 'Archives' would be helpful?

Here's a link to a recent AJC article that might give a bit of insight>>>
http://tinyurl.com/2hyoy3 (broken link)

The NW part of Atlanta offers more of what most people prefer. Cobb County's school system might be the best system of considerable size in the state. Alpharetta/St Johns Creek/Duluth--Western Gwinnett and Forsyth counties--booming and this will continue.

The schools in Tucker serve a culturally diverse population and that area extends to Lilburn and the Gwinnett Village. The Smokerise subdivision --between Tucker and Stone Mountain is an upscale community. The surrounding area would require careful research.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:13 PM

Thank You. I'll take a look at the Article. Cobb County is on my list. Its obvious that I would need to be around the Sprayberry District. Lassiter and Walton are not an option price wise. I've read some negative things about Gwinett Village. Considering that I'm African American of Carribean Discent a diverse culture is exactly what I'm looking for... thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
There have been excellent posts that provided specific FYI --maybe some sort of an 'Archives' would be helpful?

Here's a link to a recent AJC article that might give a bit of insight>>>
http://tinyurl.com/2hyoy3 (broken link)

The NW part of Atlanta offers more of what most people prefer. Cobb County's school system might be the best system of considerable size in the state. Alpharetta/St Johns Creek/Duluth--Western Gwinnett and Forsyth counties--booming and this will continue.

The schools in Tucker serve a culturally diverse population and that area extends to Lilburn and the Gwinnett Village. The Smokerise subdivision --between Tucker and Stone Mountain is an upscale community. The surrounding area would require careful research.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:25 PM

I understand your concerns. NW metro is probably the better alternative.

I found this link to a forum on Tucker, FWIW>>>
http://tuckertoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=37&action=new (broken link)

(Gwinnett Village is not a safe area. The International Corridor --Chamblee --is on its way up.)

I can only conclude that more 'High Rise/High Density' bldgs will be built in DeKalb--it may one day look more like Midtown??? We shall see. <wry grin>

Old 01-29-2007, 12:34 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
If you are looking for diverse, you might not want Tucker/DeKalb. Tucker High is rapidly becoming all African-American. This year it is 68 percent African-American-- two years ago it was 56 percent black. It is the nearest diverse high school to South DeKalb, so there have been alot of transfers there due to No Child Left Behind and frankly, more white flight has occurred as a result of how badly DeKalb County School System botched the whole thing. But, I believe the community is becoming less diverse as a whole.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:59 PM

Its an interesting thing trying to find a home and being black. You want to be around your own... you want your kids to be around their own... but the harsh reality is that too many people looking like you in an area results in others fleeing to another part of town. Now is the problem to those who are fleeing the fact that the school is 68% black... or is it the type of kids that are coming into the school are not from good areas? My guess is that its a little of both. Its a shame that many times as a black parent you have to have your child be the only, or maybe one of a few, black children in the school in order for them to get a good education. Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
If you are looking for diverse, you might not want Tucker/DeKalb. Tucker High is rapidly becoming all African-American. This year it is 68 percent African-American-- two years ago it was 56 percent black. It is the nearest diverse high school to South DeKalb, so there have been alot of transfers there due to No Child Left Behind and frankly, more white flight has occurred as a result of how badly DeKalb County School System botched the whole thing. But, I believe the community is becoming less diverse as a whole.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:07 PM

There seem to be several studies (for revitalization) under consideration.
This one includes high rises>>>

http://www.tuckerlci.org/index.html
To be a fly on the wall at urban planning meetings.

~~~
ETA: Gwinnett Village CID/Plan for Development, Oct '06>>>
http://tinyurl.com/2o9uxf (broken link)

Gwinnett Village site>>>
Jan '07 --'Landscaping of I85 ramps, Jimmy Carter Blvd, etc'>>>
http://www.gwinnettvillage.com/bbs/bbs_detail.asp?bbs_no=17&doc_no=20 (broken link)

Last edited by TakeAhike; 01-29-2007 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 02-01-2007, 11:25 PM

3 posts, read 11,333 times
Default Gwinnett Village vs Tucker

Gwinnett Village like Norcross has tons of multifamily and apartments so it has a lot more gang activity. Neither are desireable areas for SFR living. Tucker in many cases is worse. Many blacks I've worked with moved out of Tucker, became to violent for them and their families.

That crime wave is also evident in Lithonia and is moving north along hwy 124 towards Snellville. Crime along the Gwinnett border to Dekalb is a problem because theives hit office parks and retail outlets in Gwinnett & scoot back over the border into Dekalb.

Drive down I-78 to Hwy 78 past Stone Mountain and the climate changes for the better as you get closer to Loganville. Then it becomes predominately white and crime drops to a nil once you pass Snellville, still in Gwinnett. Loganville is 1/2 in Gwinnett, 1/2 in Walton County. The Walton side is alot more open country but is growing very fast. Walton is a great balance of open country bordering retail development, plus is a much easier commute to the Atlanta area.

I would much rather commute to Atlanta on 78 than I-85 or especially I-400 any day. Homes will appreciate faster in Duluth, Suwanee, or Buford though but alot more traffic on I-85 with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
I understand your concerns. NW metro is probably the better alternative.

I found this link to a forum on Tucker, FWIW>>>
http://tuckertoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=37&action=new (broken link)

(Gwinnett Village is not a safe area. The International Corridor --Chamblee --is on its way up.)

I can only conclude that more 'High Rise/High Density' bldgs will be built in DeKalb--it may one day look more like Midtown??? We shall see. <wry grin>

Last edited by randrews45; 02-01-2007 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: more traffic info on I-85 corridor

Old 02-02-2007, 05:35 AM

from the AJC--2-1-07
'Tucker's Plans for Cityhood on Hold'
http://tinyurl.com/3ad8nn (broken link)

Old 01-29-2009, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,079 times
I, Tucker Johnson, think that the Schools in Tucker are very good. That is just my opinion. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta