Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:44 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times

Advertisements

Lived in Birmingham for a year and its a total slum in my opinion. The entire city doesnt seem to have progressed at all from the civil rights era. Really the only parts of the city I would even consider living in are Hoover or Inverness which is basically where all of the doctors from UAB live.

And you think the crime in Atlanta is bad? Wait until you get a load of Birmingham. I lived in Homewood which was supposed to be a nice area but our complex had break ins pretty much on a very regular basis.

If you do move there all i will say is stay out of Bessemer, Fairfield, West End, Tarrant, and definitely stay out of Ensley. I didn't even believe Birmingham had gangs until i moved there. As a matter of fact it was voted one of the most dangerous places to live last year.

Night life is pretty non-existent. There's one little strip where they have a few bars over behind UAB that i cant remember the name of. Strip clubs are wack... there's only one decent mall which is in Hoover.

Birmingham is the only city i hated more than DC and i would never even consider living there again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 07:06 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
All of that is not true! Yea, Birmingham has a high crime rate, but it has gone down a little bit. Like Atlanata, there are areas that are good in Birmingham. I've lived in ATL for 4 years and found out that Birmingham has the same thing Atlanta has but just short!

Old 01-23-2009, 07:37 AM

314 posts, read 1,277,966 times
at 26...Atlanta all day...

pleanty of great places to live for young singles in midtown!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
All of that is not true! Yea, Birmingham has a high crime rate, but it has gone down a little bit. Like Atlanata, there are areas that are good in Birmingham. I've lived in ATL for 4 years and found out that Birmingham has the same thing Atlanta has but just short!

Whats not true about it? There is nothin downtown except UAB and a bunch of dilapidated buildings. There is nothin to do on the weekend, and besides Hoover and Inverness what nice areas are there? Birmingham is only a place you could love if youre from there.

And for it to be smaller than Atlanta it has more crime. Just last year when i was there a dude killed a cop and wounded another one when they interrupted a robbery in Fairfield. A few weeks later a kid walks on Miles College campus and shot another kid in the face.

And im not even gonna mention how they sit at red lights and wait on cars to stop so they can rob you at night.

You can move to Hoover, Inverness and i forgot about Vestavia Hills but thats about it.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartIthaca View Post
Thank you all for your replies. i am a single-26 year-old, so from what you say, ATL sounds better. If possible, I'd actually like to live fairly near where i work. I'm from NYC, and am used to walking everywhere (I know it's not completely possible to do that in the South, but I'd like to make as little use of my car as possible). Is there decent housing around the Peachtree/17th st. area? Even a small condo would fit my needs if it's safe, clean, etc.

Thanks again.
Your possible job could not be located in a more desireable area. With the salary you are being offered, you will have a wealth of choices within walking distance to your office.

This is actually the heart of our cultural center, with the High Museum, the Atlanta Symphony, several theatres, etc. clustered at Peachtree & 15th. This neighborhood has also evolved into the Legal hub of the South, with most of the largest Law firms clustered in the area. Many people now consider the corner of 14th & Peachtree to be our new "Main & Main."

Bottom line - welcome, and take advantage of a quality urban lifestyle not offered on this same level too many other places in this part of the country.

Last edited by johnatl; 01-23-2009 at 10:41 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
To brownhornet, you can live in Helena, Alabaster, Calera, Mountainbrook, Trussville, Moody, Lakeview, Gardendale, and even some parts of south Bessemer! All these are good areas! And I'm still missing some!

Old 01-23-2009, 01:18 PM

426 posts, read 1,446,552 times
I think most of the posts about Atlanta over Birmingham in terms of ammenities are on target (especially for a 26 year old from NYC). I would suggest when comparing cost of living that you look for an online calculator that compares counties and NOT metropolitan areas. Compare Jefferson County (Bham) to Fulton County (ATL) for a more accurate assessment of the differences in cost of living. Because the Atlanta metropolitan area is so large, the cost of living for the metro area is not a good indicator of the cost of living in the city proper. That said, you will do just fine on 145k.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:02 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,213,408 times
I think Atlanta is a no-brainer, especially considering you're coming from NYC.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
To brownhornet, you can live in Helena, Alabaster, Calera, Mountainbrook, Trussville, Moody, Lakeview, Gardendale, and even some parts of south Bessemer! All these are good areas! And I'm still missing some!

None of those spots are nice to me. And Alabaster is damn near halfway to Montgomery. And i notice you didn't dispute anything else i said about the city. Bottom line this move is a no brainer. I dont think after visiting both cities anyone would prefer Birmingham.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:22 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Birmingham and Atlanta's home prices are somewhat similar....I think Birmingham's is a little more reasonable.
Surprisingly, my experience leads me to believe that overall Atlanta might have slightly cheaper housing in the suburbs. Intown, I would say that they are very comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta