Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 03:40 PM

4 posts, read 12,452 times

Advertisements

Hello and thanks for reading this.

As title states, we are awaiting orders to PCS to Fort Mcpherson. I've been perusing this forum for the past couple of days and have weeded out some of the areas I originally was looking into due to distance.

So here's the deal, we are looking at renting a house/townhouse (basically need 3 bedrooms and don't want an apartment), we can afford up to $1,500 a month.

I'm looking at the public schools in safer neighborhoods that aren't so far away from Fort Mcpherson like Cobb County is (what I understand from reading). I have two children with ADHD, one has Asperger's. Once we are settled I would like to finish my degree and plan on attending Georgia Tech college.

Was hoping that Druid Hills and the surrounding area wasn't too far from Fort Mcpherson? We have lived in San Diego for ten years so traffic doesn't bother me, yet I don't want to make my husband drive more then one hour to get to work.

Thanks for any advice, this forum is how we are determing where we will end up living. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 05:34 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,667,318 times
DeKalb special ed is the pits so I would avoid Druid Hills for that reason.

I hear great things about Fayette County's special ed. According to mapquest, Peachtree City is about a 45 minute drive away but I hope the experts can comment on this. Of course, it is further to Tech.

Can anyone comment on special ed in City of Atlanta schools, especially the Grady Cluster schools?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:09 AM

325 posts, read 980,099 times
City of Atlanta schools are horrible...I knew a teacher who was employed with them and she stated that to me, so I believed her. My rule of thumb (when moving) is to look at the areas where the property taxes and values are higher...that is where "you get what you pay for" comes into play...those places normally have excellent school systems. Dekalb County School system may not be good, but Druid Hills area in also a different part of Dekalb. It's not like living on Memorial Dr. or Covington Highway. It is a nicer, pricier area of Dekalb County, so I would do a little research on the schools in that area and go from there....Fayette County is a good area, but with them letting 500+ teaching positions go, I'm not sure how that will affect their school system...definetly do your research and happy hunting! (btw..I am also a fellow soldier...I'm in Germany right now though..)

Last edited by jeffreda30238; 02-17-2009 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 02-18-2009, 01:41 PM

11 posts, read 30,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_snarky_britches View Post
Hello and thanks for reading this.

As title states, we are awaiting orders to PCS to Fort Mcpherson. I've been perusing this forum for the past couple of days and have weeded out some of the areas I originally was looking into due to distance.

So here's the deal, we are looking at renting a house/townhouse (basically need 3 bedrooms and don't want an apartment), we can afford up to $1,500 a month.

I'm looking at the public schools in safer neighborhoods that aren't so far away from Fort Mcpherson like Cobb County is (what I understand from reading). I have two children with ADHD, one has Asperger's. Once we are settled I would like to finish my degree and plan on attending Georgia Tech college.

Was hoping that Druid Hills and the surrounding area wasn't too far from Fort Mcpherson? We have lived in San Diego for ten years so traffic doesn't bother me, yet I don't want to make my husband drive more then one hour to get to work.

Thanks for any advice, this forum is how we are determing where we will end up living. lol
Hello Mrs. Snaky, if you are not worried about a drive, I would consider Cobb County, along the Mableton, Vinings and Smyrna area. They are pretty central and right off of I285. That way you can have highway access to get to work at 7:30am.

As far as fort Mc Goes. Ft. Gilem has the commissary, and better shoppette. I stayed on Air Force Bases, so Ft. Mac and Ft. Gilem are like third world countries to me :-). But afterr a year here, Ft. Gilem has grew on me, I work out there and buy my grocery from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta