Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 04:14 PM

14 posts, read 32,014 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm relocating from the UK to Smyrna. My company is based near the southern tip of Dobbins Air Base.

I'd like less than 30 minute commute and am looking for a good, safe neighbourhood to rent a house.

My Daughter is 3, so schools aren't a concern yet.

One other thing that may, or may not be important. Although born and raised in the UK, we are of South-Asian descent.

I'm especially unsure what parts of Smyrna and Marietta are good. Are Mableton and Powder Springs too far to commute? East-Cobb sounds interesting, but is expensive.

Are there any maps that show the county lines? I use zillow for the zip codes and that's been really helpful.

Any sites with details on each area that I could take a look at?

What can I expect to pay for a 3/4 Bed house?
What discount should I am to negotiate on the advertised rate?

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 07:40 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInAtl View Post
Hi,

I'm relocating from the UK to Smyrna. My company is based near the southern tip of Dobbins Air Base.

I'd like less than 30 minute commute and am looking for a good, safe neighbourhood to rent a house.
I would suggest anywhere in Smyrna. In my opinion, though, the further south (in Smyrna) the better.

The commute shouldn't be too bad.

Yahoo's mapping site shows county lines:

Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

Old 02-21-2009, 08:13 PM

625 posts, read 1,148,794 times
For a 3/4 bed house in the Smyrna area it will be 275-350k I believe.

I think the southern end of smyrna is getting more dangerous. You have to realize that this is the west end of ATL which as you travel down 285 you get near Bankhead which is one of most dangerous areas of ATL.

Vinings is extremely safe but sleepy if you have kids in my opinion.

just don't go too far south of south cobb drive or you'll get capped.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:42 AM

14 posts, read 32,014 times
slightly differing opinions, which is nearer the truth ?

I'm also looking to rent, not buy.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:35 AM

369 posts, read 1,145,914 times
There may be some confusion over whether one is discussing the Smyrna area or the actual Smyrna city limits.

You can see the actual city limits in detail here:

http://smyrnacity.com/media/Ward_Map.pdf (broken link)

I don't think the high crime areas of concern on the south side are within Smyrna proper. The northern areas of Smyrna within the city limits are indeed less desirable in general than the more southern areas.

The most desirable areas in Smyrna in my view are the closest to the redeveloped downtown, on the west side of Atlanta road.

I wouldn't worry about ethnicity, Smyrna is a very ethnically diverse area.

As for commutes, Mableton and Powder Springs are not far, but if you commute from there you will be immersed in the throngs trying to get to I-75 and I-285, so the traffic can be quite heavy. It depends on your tolerance for traffic and time.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:11 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
For a 3/4 bed house in the Smyrna area it will be 275-350k I believe.

I think the southern end of smyrna is getting more dangerous. You have to realize that this is the west end of ATL which as you travel down 285 you get near Bankhead which is one of most dangerous areas of ATL.
The extreme SE corner of Smyrna comes semi-close to areas which might border Bankhead (I think Smyrna border is 285 and Atlanta Road while Bankhead is considerably further south across the river), but most of south Smyrna is well off to the west of that corner, running along the E/W Connector and bordering northern Mableton. That is a MUCH safer area.

In fact, having lived in south Smyrna along Atlanta Road (E. Lee Road) and now in Mableton, I consider southern Smyrna (which is mostly west of Atlanta Road and west of South Cobb) to be safer than the more northern areas of that city.

Of course, that's my opinion. But Vinings Estates, area-wise, is something like 15-20% of the total area of Smyrna all by itself, and it represents the southern tip of that city, all south of the E/W Connector.

Quote:
just don't go too far south of south cobb drive or you'll get capped.
That area on the other side of the river would be in Atlanta.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 PM

8 posts, read 25,696 times
Scout99.com is a good site to view information that could be related to safety.
Atlanta Real Estate Tools | Atlanta Home Mortgage Rates, Calculators, and Maps is good for county line and school info as well.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:46 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,639,405 times
Marietta and Smyrna cover large areas that are very diverse as far as crime and socioeconomic factors go. You say you're willing to go 30 minutes out from Dobbins... that opens up lots of possibilities for you. What would you like to pay as far as rent goes? Another thing to consider, if I were you, I'd go ahead and pick a place with good schools. Your daughter is only three, but you still want to raise her in a neighborhood where the schools are good. Good schools = responsible, hard working people make up the majority of the neighborhood. That's where you want to plant your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta