Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:24 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Air travel could be obsolete by 2020...who knows.
Do we wait to find out? Could be, could not. You're right when you say, "who knows?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 07:50 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Air travel could be obsolete by 2020...who knows.
So could human beings.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta's second airport should be built either...

1. East of the city in the I-20 East Corridor

-or-

2. South/Southwest of the city in the I-85 South corridor (Central/South Coweta County)

-or-

3. Maybe South/Southeast of the city in the I-75 South corridor

-or-

4. Maybe at the present Fulton County Airport just west of the city

The site should be within 40/45 miles of Downtown Atlanta.

The second airport should be called Martin Luther King, Jr. (MLK) International Airport.
1. I can possible agree with East of the city.

2. I highly disagree with South/Southwest of the city. Hartsfield is already South of the city. IMO, a second airport (if that's their relief solution) should be somewhere closer to the higher poplulated areas. Southwest of the city is just further away from the higher populated areas. May be a good thing for LaGrange, but it wouldn't make life in Gwinnett any easier. No matter who likes Gwinnett, they are part of Atlanta, which makes them family and we should be concerned with taking care of them before the other counties on the outskirts.

3. Southeast of the city would be the same as #2. May be good for Macon, but no better for Cobb.

4. Charlie Brown? I see one major problem with that. It's longest runway is only about 6K feet. That means, they would have to build a new runway. With it's location (Chatt to the west and north, I-20 to the south and I-285 to the east) it's going to have to tear into nearby neighborhoods, and or get creative with the freeway obsticles. That is going get costly just for a runway (and the taxpayers will be paying for it). After building a new runway and new terminals, parking, access roads, landscaping, and all, it may turn out to be a nice, but pricey idea. It's very accessable by freeway, and holds to best chance of having a Marta connection in near years at the end of a Westbound extension.
Atlanta Charlie Brown National Airport... Hmmm...

I still prefer Dobbins. Dobbins is the ONLY option within 70 miles that would not require building a new runway through someone's neighborhood. It is also only a reserve base, why not put it to some real use, and if it's ever NEEDED for war time again by the military, then dual use it.

Hey, Why not just develop both into airports? There would never be an aiport issue on the table for the next 100+ years... Lol...

Last edited by Psykomonkee; 03-13-2009 at 12:48 PM..

Old 03-13-2009, 11:42 AM

If it were up to me, I'd:
10 steps

1. Give the honors to Dobbins. Introduce a plan to the BRAC to reduce the military functions of the reserve base, and increase commercial use. It would be huge news, a dual use airport. It would already have a security presence.

2. Not rename the airport. Just add a name. The military side will remain Dobbins AFB. And the Commercial side will be Atlanta King International Airport.

3. International, because I would then build an architectural marvel of a terminal (like Dulles) completely equiped with customs facilities for international flights.

4. Being so close to 75 and 285, I would build a new access road detouring from 75 to the terminal and back to 75. It would be a toll access road. If you want to avoid the toll, you can just get off at Cobb Pkwy off 285 and drive north about 3 miles.

5. Issue a proposal (which would most likely get shot down, but worth the try) to extend Marta from Lindberg, West to Gallaria area, then up to King Int. Airport. (The Yellow/Cobb Line). If that idea fails, I would plan out a fast track bus route between the airport and Galleria.

Part 2

6. Gwinnett County Airport in Lawrenceville. It has one runway that is 6K feet long. I would widen and extend the runway another 2K feet.

7. Upgrade Hwy 316/University Parkway to a six lane expressway from the I-85 junction to Dacula, GA.

8. Build a terminal and do major landscaping.

9. Rename the airport to something else. Maybe hold a e-mail/text vote for Gwinnett County Residents. All E-mail accounts, MAC addresses, IP addresses and Phone numbers will only be allowed one vote.
Choices could include:
-Gwinnett National Airport
-Atlanta-Gwinnett National Airport
-Cartel National Airport (lol... Kidding)
-Lawrenceville National Airport
-North GA (NoGA) National Airport
-etc...

10. Propose a bus lane and route from both Doraville and Dunwoody MARTA stations.

Yes, if it were up to me, I'd make both airports operational.

Last edited by Psykomonkee; 03-13-2009 at 12:45 PM..

Old 03-13-2009, 12:18 PM
JPD

I propose we build it underground. The planes could fly in and out of huge tunnels that go directly under downtown and midtown. From baggage claim, all tourists would have to do is go to the kiosk for their hotel (like you would for a rental car), and jump into the express elevator that will take them directly to the lobby of their hotel.

Hey, it's only a LITTLE more far-fetched than this:

Reason Foundation Commentary: Tunnels Are Part of the Traffic Solution

Old 03-13-2009, 12:34 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
...2. I highly disagree with South/Southwest of the city. Hartsfield is already South of the city. IMO, a second airport (if that's their relief solution) should be somewhere closer to the higher poplulated areas. Southwest of the city is just further away from the higher populated areas. May be a good thing for LaGrange, but it wouldn't make life in Gwinnett any easier. No matter who likes Gwinnett, they are part of Atlanta, which makes them family and we should be concerned with taking care of them before the other counties on the outskirts.
3. Southeast of the city would be the same as #2. May be good for Macon, but no better for Cobb.
4. Charlie Brown? I see one major problem with that. It's longest runway is only about 6K feet. That means, they would have to build a new runway. With it's location (Chatt to the west and north, I-20 to the south and I-285 to the east) it's going to have to tear into nearby neighborhoods, and or get creative with the freeway obsticles. That is going get costly just for a runway (and the taxpayers will be paying for it).
No. Wrong.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Hey, it's only a LITTLE more far-fetched than this:

Reason Foundation Commentary: Tunnels Are Part of the Traffic Solution
Underground airports... Interesting thought. However, wouldn't that be a little dangerous? I mean, they say flying is the safest way to travel, even though everyone knows it's very dangerous at the same time landing a plane. You want to add, flying into a tunnel entrance to the difficulty of landing a plane on an open strip? If it is feasable, then by all means, but it sounds dangerous to me. I can only imagine the horror of a plane smashing into the lip of the tunnel nose first due to a major wind gust coming up out of the landing tunnel (from another entrance) and lifting the plane right into the ground just as it was about to enter safely. It would be cool to watch planes take off from a hole in the ground though. Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea and creative thinking. Just a little scary to ME.

The 'far fetched' tunnel idea (link). I like the idea actually. I just appreciate the 'thinking outside' the box.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:51 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Underground airports... Interesting thought. However, wouldn't that be a little dangerous? I mean, they say flying is the safest way to travel, even though everyone knows it's very dangerous at the same time landing a plane. You want to add, flying into a tunnel entrance to the difficulty of landing a plane on an open strip? If it is feasable, then by all means, but it sounds dangerous to me. I can only imagine the horror of a plane smashing into the lip of the tunnel nose first due to a major wind gust coming up out of the landing tunnel (from another entrance) and lifting the plane right into the ground just as it was about to enter safely. It would be cool to watch planes take off from a hole in the ground though. Don't get me wrong, I do like the idea and creative thinking. Just a little scary to ME.

The 'far fetched' tunnel idea (link). I like the idea actually. I just appreciate the 'thinking outside' the box.
I guess some people have never heard of sarcasm...

Old 03-13-2009, 01:46 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I guess some people have never heard of sarcasm...
I thought for sure my elevator concept would be a dead giveaway. But, if they can fly X-wing Fighters onto and off of Imperial Star Destroyers with no runway at all, I guess anything is feasible.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:41 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
Quote:
6. Gwinnett County Airport in Lawrenceville. It has one runway that is 6K feet long. I would widen and extend the runway another 2K feet.
The only problem upgrading small airports in these suburban towns is noise compatibility and mitigation.

Since 1982, the federal gov't and atlanta have spent a combined $330,000,000+ purchasing land and installing mitigation measures to meet the noise requirements. Over $50 million has spent since 2000 alone.

Its not quite as simple as extending a runway and building a new terminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta