Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:37 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times

Advertisements

yeah, it can def go to far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 10:11 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
I was at work the other day and a bunch of us (who were all white) were trying to describe this guy (who is black) to this girl (who was also black) because she did not know who we were talking about - we seriously described every facet of his physical, mental, and spiritual being without even trying to say he was black!!! How preposterous! .

Yeah, I see that kind of stuff all the time. On the news when there is a dangerous criminal on the loose, they always describe them as "a 6 foot 2 inch male between the ages of 25 and 40", but they never say if he's white, black, hispanic, etc. Yesterday, when the shooting at CNN took place, the news reported that a "black female" was shot, but only described the shooter as "male". Pathetic.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:16 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
yep, that can be dangerous when they leave those details out...

Old 04-10-2007, 03:03 PM

197 posts, read 777,091 times
I know you don't like the cold, but have you considered NYC??

I have lived in Seattle, NYC and now Atlanta and out of all these, Atlanta seems to be the least open to diversity.... in relative terms. People here do seem to live and operate in very seperate silos. Not even talking about ethnicity per se---but I find that this is a town with very seperate social silos.... My DH and I have been living in Buckhead for 2 years. We meet people all the time---work, the street, kids' school, church---but have yet to find people that we can meld into a cohesive group. Their differences are very minute but people here seem to segregate themselves with things such as church affiliation, or college affiliation, or private school affiliation or tennis, golf and so on. Very hard to create a fun loving CIRCLE here the way we did in Seattle and NYC. A friend suggested that's because Atlanta is into conformity vs. these more open areas. I think she may be right... People seem very preoccupied with finding like minded invidividuals to hang with.... Really perplexing to us.

But I do love the weather! Can't beat swimming in March!

If you do move here, please avoid Alpharetta. From what I read about you, Alpharetta is NOT. FOR. YOU. (May be for me, but I am a formerly fun, now busy--but happy!- white suburban mom, KWIM? You are still cool, open and hip so run run run while there is still time. Kidding. Really.)

Best of luck,
Lola

Old 04-10-2007, 08:36 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,585 times
This to me has been one of the most interesting threads I've read since I've been around.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:24 PM

595 posts, read 2,344,444 times
FYI for the record, New Orleans is not losing jobs.

I just got a good job in New Orleans that pays $20k more than I make in Atlanta and I had another job offer as well. Jobs are easy in the Big easy.

Just being factual.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:33 PM

67 posts, read 228,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2007 View Post
I currently live near Detroit MI and as many of you may or may not know, the only area of the United States hemorrhaging residents and jobs worse than SE Michigan is New Orleans LA. I couldn't begin to tell you how many talented people are leaving (or have left) this region. The most frequent destinations seem to be North Carolina (I hear more about Raliegh-Durham than Charlotte - Why?), Arizona (Scotsdale, Mesa, Chandler, even some new communities developing north of Phoenix toward Flagstaff), Texas (seems that Austin, San Antonio and El Paso are more en vogue than the historical stalwarts like Dallas and Houston), and Colorado (mostly Denver, some Colo. Springs), and of course Georgia (almost exlusively the Atlanta area).

Two of my fraternity brothers from college live near Atlanta (one in Roswell, the other in Lawrenceville). They constantly extol the virtues of the "Atlanta Lifestyle" -- outdoor barbeques in early March (when Michigan is still covered with ice & snow), the number of Fortune 500 companies with offices in the area, the number of colleges and universities to do post-grad studies, the architectural beauty of the "New South", the Georgia Peaches - i.e. Southern Women, even the Red Dirt and the rolling hills. According to them, you can be downtown or in Buckhead mixing & mingling with the ATL power brokers and entertainment moguls one night, and yet be only an hour away from some quaint southern town where you can relax, buy a back scratcher, eat a down home southern meal and drink Sweet Tea in a little dirt road cafe on the outskirts, or get "Crunk" in the SWATs with all the "Bawlers" ridin' on 24's and "Shawtees" with their "hair did".

Atlanta has long been known as an excellent location for educated African-Americans to develop corporate careers, engage in entrepreneurship and networking, and have influence in politics. Atlanta is supposedly the perfect marriage of the progressive, forward-thinking, artistically inclined, technology savvy "New South" while still maintaining elements of that historic southern charm -- minus the Jim Crow, the dogs and the fire hoses.

My primary point is this: I have visited Atlanta many times and overall I like what the area has to offer -- as a visitor. But I would like to get two perspectives on living in Atlanta:

#1 - I would like to hear from a White Male or Female (or White Couple) who has moved to Atlanta. My questions to you is not only would I like Atlanta, but also where could I live if I want to meet like-minded people? If I go out with friends after work, I prefer a mixed afterwork crowd with black, white, gay, straight, liberal, conservative. I do not like homogeneity. What is your perceptions about Blacks in Atlanta? Do you have black friends or socialize with Blacks, or are social activities very separate between the races (the Detroit area has a TERRIBLE problem with this!)

#2 - I would like to hear from a Black Male or Female (or Black Couple) who may have attended one of the historically Black colleges in the area, were involved in Pan-Hellenic activities (Greek Life), and are now professionals living and working in the area. I am very concerned about the politics of Atlanta. I am more of a moderate politically and though I am not a big fan of the super right-wing, bible belt conservatives, I have an equal distaste for extreme left-wing liberals who want to propose spending on social programs to address problems that responsible families should be addressing at home. Living near Detroit, I have had enough of the flashy political officials who are more like preachers than public servants and always want to play the "victim" or "race" card.

Lastly, if you are from Michigan (Detroit, Flint, Lansing, Saginaw, Grand Rapids) and now live in Atlanta, I would like to hear your coparison of the lifestyles in Michigan and Georgia and whether or not you like the Atlanta area.

I have never considered myself a southerner and have never, ever thought seriously about living in the South -- having grown up in upstate New York and Northern Michigan. However, Michigan is a dying state and I need a slightly more progressive, vibrant area to lay my head and apply my craft.

Is Atlanta that place, folks? Thoughtful, serious reponses only please. My company just opened up a new office in Atlanta and I have a decision to make very soon. Replying "Anywhere is better than Detroit" is not a serious, thoughtful response -- even if it may be true. We can debate the merits of that viewpoint in a separate topic thread.

Thanks in avance for all replies......
IF you are from Flint, Lansing or Saginaw, you will like Decatur. If you are from Saginaw Township, Midland, Freeland, Bay City, Inkster to Eight Mile you will like Lawerenceville or Avondale Estates.

Raleigh-Durham-Charlotte(I think Greensboro and Winston Salem should be added too) are college towns and are near the Research Triangle Park, (Raleigh Durham Greensboro are) and there is so much for a person in their thirties to do. It is hub for minority fraternities and sororities. I imagine that this is why you hear about North Carolina being the primary destination. Greensboro was voted as the best city for Blacks to reside.

I graduated from A&T(Greensboro) and AU(Atlanta) and am a greek. very active in panhellenics and you will have a blast. I was at A&T homecoming last year and I was told by my daughters that "Crunk" means a lively party.

I was born and reared in Georgia but spent most of my professional life in Midland, Michigan before going out on my own. (The opportunity was granted while visiting Durham,NC) I have never left Michigan though a town in Georgia by the same name is my home. I Know that you will love Georgia.

Politics takes the face of the participants. If you are in any area and don't like the politics, become active. Since you are a Greek, you should be active anyway. I was a republican until Johnson signed the voting rights act of 1965. I have been a democrat and a howling one every since.

Based on everything that I read in your letter, you won't have any problems adjusting to and falling in love with Atlanta. Tailgating, wildgame etc, none of that will be a problem, but you will miss that romantic evening sitting by the fireplace and starring our of the patio window at the snow, and those lovebird snow fights and toboggain. But if you do, go back every winter and visit.

The church is in you and the service that you do each day. Just pay your tithes and give God His sacrifice of obedience and love thy neighbor as thyself and you will be happy no matter where you are.

If anyone disrepect you, don't retaliate, because vengeance is mine saith the Lord. I will repay.

Welcome to GEORGIA!! HOME OF RAY CHARLES, MA RAINEY AND JAMES BROWN.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:14 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Personally, I'm a Southerner, born and raised, and waive a confederate flag at college tail gates with plenty of black alumni in attendance. College Football/Tailgating(as you mentioned) is first and foremost down here. The confederacy is a culture thing down here and I don't want to start a race/political fight with anyone on here, but we don't wave it to celebrate racism.
Not that I am starting a fight per se, but this (waving the Confederate flag and other uses of it) is something I will NEVER understand. What is so great about a temporary government established for 5 years that failed miserably both politically and economically but yet still has to be celebrated over 140 years later? And what "culture" was there established in those 5 years of the Confederacy? I mean, really, you would rather wave this flag than the US flag or the State of Georgia flag? Those mean less to you?

Quote:
You don't see Northerners waiving Northern flags.
Yes they do. It's the United States of America flag, the same waved by every state in this country.

Quote:
We are 48th in hate crimes by the way
That actually doesn't mean much, considering that local police and judicial forces have discretion to classify crimes as "hate crimes" or not. There could simply be bias in labeling these crimes here in Georgia (not saying there is - it's a possibility).

Old 07-27-2007, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 41,770 times
Quote:
I currently live near Detroit MI and as many of you may or may not know, the only area of the United States hemorrhaging residents and jobs worse than SE Michigan is New Orleans LA. I couldn't begin to tell you how many talented people are leaving (or have left) this region. The most frequent destinations seem to be North Carolina (I hear more about Raliegh-Durham than Charlotte - Why?), Arizona (Scotsdale, Mesa, Chandler, even some new communities developing north of Phoenix toward Flagstaff), Texas (seems that Austin, San Antonio and El Paso are more en vogue than the historical stalwarts like Dallas and Houston), and Colorado (mostly Denver, some Colo. Springs), and of course Georgia (almost exlusively the Atlanta area).

Two of my fraternity brothers from college live near Atlanta (one in Roswell, the other in Lawrenceville). They constantly extol the virtues of the "Atlanta Lifestyle" -- outdoor barbeques in early March (when Michigan is still covered with ice & snow), the number of Fortune 500 companies with offices in the area, the number of colleges and universities to do post-grad studies, the architectural beauty of the "New South", the Georgia Peaches - i.e. Southern Women, even the Red Dirt and the rolling hills. According to them, you can be downtown or in Buckhead mixing & mingling with the ATL power brokers and entertainment moguls one night, and yet be only an hour away from some quaint southern town where you can relax, buy a back scratcher, eat a down home southern meal and drink Sweet Tea in a little dirt road cafe on the outskirts, or get "Crunk" in the SWATs with all the "Bawlers" ridin' on 24's and "Shawtees" with their "hair did".

Atlanta has long been known as an excellent location for educated African-Americans to develop corporate careers, engage in entrepreneurship and networking, and have influence in politics. Atlanta is supposedly the perfect marriage of the progressive, forward-thinking, artistically inclined, technology savvy "New South" while still maintaining elements of that historic southern charm -- minus the Jim Crow, the dogs and the fire hoses.

My primary point is this: I have visited Atlanta many times and overall I like what the area has to offer -- as a visitor. But I would like to get two perspectives on living in Atlanta:

#1 - I would like to hear from a White Male or Female (or White Couple) who has moved to Atlanta withing the past 5 years after first living in an area with very few Blacks. The reason I ask -- I am Black, but I also grew up in a mostly white, small nothern Michigan town. Many of my sensibilities and the types of social settings I enjoy are perhaps more akin to what you might expect from a White Guy from the Midwest -- tailgating for the game, eating wild game meats and jerkys, driving a Ford F-150 pickup truck. I am not into bling or cognac or Cristal champagne. I'm just a good ole boy from the Midwest. I like a woman who is smart, but still down-to-earth enough to wear her old college sweatshirt and jeans to the bar and have a beer with the guys. No divas or ghetto fabulous types or primadonnas. My questions to you is not only would I like Atlanta, but also where could I live if I want to meet like-minded people? If I go out with friends after work, I prefer a mixed afterwork crowd with black, white, gay, straight, liberal, conservative. I do not like homogeneity. What is your perceptions about Blacks in Atlanta? Do you have black friends or socialize with Blacks, or are social activities very separate between the races (the Detroit area has a TERRIBLE problem with this!)

#2 - I would like to hear from a Black Male or Female (or Black Couple) who may have attended one of the historically Black colleges in the area, were involved in Pan-Hellenic activities (Greek Life), and are now professionals living and working in the area. I am very concerned about the politics of Atlanta. I am more of a moderate politically and though I am not a big fan of the super right-wing, bible belt conservatives, I have an equal distaste for extreme left-wing liberals who want to propose spending on social programs to address problems that responsible families should be addressing at home. Living near Detroit, I have had enough of the flashy political officials who are more like preachers than public servants and always want to play the "victim" or "race" card. Although I am a Christian and I believe in God, I do not favor the religious climate that has created all of the Black mega churches focused on wealth and materialism where preachers are turned into rock stars.... and even fashion designers (Sorry Eddie Long!). I just believe that being called into the ministry is a humble calling that calls for a humble, simple life of service to others, But recently, I feel that MBA's (both Black and White -- I have heard of Joel Osteen and Rick Warren) are graduating from B-School and viewing "Religion, Inc." as a viable business franchise similar to Waffle House or Chick Fila-A and are pimping prosperity to their parishoners in a very exploitative, un "Christ-like" manner. I know there are always going to be elements of these things anywhere you live (we are in the USA after all), but I also want to know how much does this whole "crunk" phenomena permiate the social landscape in Atlanta. I beileve that crunk music is akin to a modern-day minstrel show and is the height of bufoonery and ignorant, unevolved behavior. I am sure that I can avoid that scene by simply traveling in more mature social circles, but I deplore it so I just wonder is crunk a niche confined to South Atlanta, or do most Blacks in Atlanta really embrace this "Crunk" Culture? I am very much in the middle -- you won't find me at the Greater Ebenezer Baptist Church every Sunday morning (maybe sometimes just not every Sunday), but I am not about to delve into this southern "Crunk" ignorance that seems to be catching on everywhere just for the sake of having a good time.

Lastly, if you are from Michigan (Detroit, Flint, Lansing, Saginaw, Grand Rapids) and now live in Atlanta, I would like to hear your coparison of the lifestyles in Michigan and Georgia and whether or not you like the Atlanta area.

I have never considered myself a southerner and have never, ever thought seriously about living in the South -- having grown up in upstate New York and Northern Michigan. However, Michigan is a dying state and I need a slightly more progressive, vibrant area to lay my head and apply my craft.

Is Atlanta that place, folks? Thoughtful, serious reponses only please. My company just opened up a new office in Atlanta and I have a decision to make very soon. Replying "Anywhere is better than Detroit" is not a serious, thoughtful response -- even if it may be true. We can debate the merits of that viewpoint in a separate topic thread.

Thanks in avance for all replies......
In response to pint #1
I am a white single professional female who moved to Jackson, MS from AZ and some of these posts are dead on. The "Dixie" flag or whatever it is called hangs everywhere and for the life of me I can't figure it out. It's as though it's a "southern" thing and everyone else is an outsider! Umm - seems very backwards to me. Everyone likes to seperate from each other based on color, then religion and on and on it goes. (in Jackson) I too am looking into moving to ATL to escape Jackson as I can't stand the narrow minded, bible thumbing, back stabing mentality. My brother also moved from AZ to ATL and LOVES it. Being from AZ - my friends were ALL races and we all hung out together after work. Never felt the whole black/white/indian/mexican/asian/ gay/straight/Baptist ETC! seperation - we just all mixed - if you were cool - you were in - simple. I certainly don't want to judge the south - I'm just sharing my experiences as a westerner to the south and my opinion of here (Jackson), and that I too wish to get away from. I would never consider raising children here due to the black/white thing that is the 300lb gorilla in the room that no one talks about. Sorry for rambling - just had surgery and the brain is quite befudled.
Keep us posted as to what you do as I for one would love to know what you decide and how it works out as we seem to think and like the same things.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:19 PM

138 posts, read 623,269 times
Quote:
Very good info and perspective - thanks to you both. It's always tough leaving what you have known for new surroundings. And to be fair, no area is perfect. I just want to get a feel for what I can expect if I choose to accept a position in Atlanta. I am also considering Phoenix, San Diego, Dallas, Austin and Orlando. I like Chicago also, but I think that I am done with cities in colder climates. My next move will be based on comfort as well as practicality.

BTW - I hear you guys on the "Crunk" music thing. I was just doing a heat check to see how pervasive it was. No worries.... I won't judge Atlanta by "Crunk" any more than I would judge Nashville by "country", LA by "ska", or Seattle by "alternative" (Grunge a la the 1990's). I still despise "crunk" as form of music, though...... but admittedly, the music of young people has always been criticized, so perhaps I am just getting older. I'm only 34 -- that's not too old, right?

Thanks again.
That's definitely not too old! It better not be. I turn 34 in 4 weeks. I hope you are able to come to Atlanta and enjoy it. It sounds like you would like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta