Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:18 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
You might get a county to take them in if they can strip away the voting rights of the current Clayton residents. They have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they do not deserve to vote.
every person has the right to vote that would be a little harsh.

it would be good for whoever get clayotn county because if the jet fuel tax that the county gets from the airport thats a lot of money. one of the counties or all three could take it cause we know money has a little more weight wanting to stay at your roots to politicians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 03:23 PM

4 posts, read 8,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
every person has the right to vote
That's part of the problem.

You should have to pass some sort of a test before you are allowed to vote. You should also work and pay taxes before you can vote.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:43 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,993 times
Quote:

You should have to pass some sort of a test before you are allowed to vote. You should also work and pay taxes before you can vote.
Wow I heard that, that criterion for voting was unconstitutional. I thought that was called literacy test which are unconstitutional. And I like my ability to vote and I dont work or pay taxes(I do when I pay for stuff at stores tho)

I go to school everyday at GSU tho so I am not a bum

Old 03-30-2009, 04:27 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,858,147 times
But who is going to want Clayton County and all of its liabilities and problems?? Perhaps the city of Atlanta could just annex Clayton County... but would they want it?? I doubt it.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:55 PM

293 posts, read 1,107,044 times
I don't think it's ever going to happen. I mean, let's look for a LITTLE bright light. From this point on, the only direction Clayton County can go in is up.

Whether we believe it or not, there are some Clayton residents who stand by their county and want to work for the better. Everyone hasn't given up on Clayton County.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:30 PM

235 posts, read 838,582 times
I thought that Clayton County should be annexed as well. Since this issue is not being discussed at the state or county level, chances are it won't be any time soon.

About half of the counties in Georgia should be merged into larger counties, particularly in the rural, sparsely populated areas, but the chances of any counties merging is extremely minimal. After all there are people in the local government jobs who would not want to give those positions up to merge counties, not to mention all the legal / political struggles that would ensue if merging were to go on.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:44 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Wow I heard that, that criterion for voting was unconstitutional. I thought that was called literacy test which are unconstitutional. And I like my ability to vote and I dont work or pay taxes(I do when I pay for stuff at stores tho)

I go to school everyday at GSU tho so I am not a bum
You should study your Constitution. Universal Suffrage was not guaranteed by the original document. In fact, the Framers were solidly against such an idea. It didn't become a popular concept until after the WBTS, and didn't become law until the 20th Century.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:48 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,843 times
slavery was also permitted in the original constitution. Literacy tests and poll taxes were wrong as they disenfranchised many black citizens

Old 03-30-2009, 08:23 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
I find this interesting. What other counties should be merged? Should the legislature order a complete redrawing of the entire state to accomplish this?

It would take years, the initial outcry would be no as people like the status quo, but the more people can see the advantages of less government and the ineffeciency of so many tiny counties, the minds of people could change. Would take time tho.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:42 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:

That is one way officials used to deny people of color the right to vote...a "voting test".

Sorry, but every U.S. citizen has the right to vote, guaranteed by the federal government. I don't think some idiot can start taking away such basic civil rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta