Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 08:14 PM

113 posts, read 311,331 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a bike trail in the city? I have not really used my bike since I moved down here 2 years ago. I live in South Buckhead so I sometimes go to Piedmont Park for a walk but they don't really have extensive bike trails, and with so many people walking and jogging there, it's dangerous to add a bike to the mix. Silver Comet is a bit too far away, maybe for a weekend ride. I wish the Stone Mountain trail connected better with the short trail at Freedom Parkway/Carter Center. It's a bit disappointing because I go to other cities nearby, like Columbus, Augusta and Chattanooga and they all have bike trails, but they are also along rivers, which Atlanta doesn't have. The focus here seems to be on building condos and homes, not parks and bike trails, which is too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 PM

35 posts, read 130,894 times
Bicycle South occasionally organizes a group ride from their shop by Emory out to the Dekalb PATH and to Stone Mountain.

Bicycle South Advocacy and Community Ride Calendar (http://www.bicyclesouth.com/calendar.htm - broken link)

I agree it'd be nice if the PATH went further into Atlanta but in the group you'll find a good route to where it starts up again in Clarkston, or at least have safety in numbers!

Next one is April 19 2009 at 9am.

On the same page are other in-town group rides where you might learn of good low-traffic routes or paths.

You're on your own for the Buckhead to Emory area leg though!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:48 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
I gave up trying to find intown trails. Instead I just bought a road bike and have been riding Midtown through Decatur to Stone Mountain and back through downtown and GT on weekends for a while now. All in it's about 37-45 miles round trip and traffic isn't too bad. I generally avoid weekdays since there's rush hour traffic and I just ride my rollers to maintain some fitness. The most dangerous part of the whole trip is sadly on 10th and Monroe near Piedmont where people are always in a rush for some reason. I've almost been hit 5-6 times just in that 1 mile stretch mostly by people flooring it to turn in front of me.

Back when I lived out in the Marietta suburbs, I would take my bike out to Big Creek(Old Alabama Rd) in Alpharetta or Blanket's Creek (Sixes Rd) in Woodstock. These days if weather is good, I'll drive up to Old Alabama and do some work from Starbucks before taking off early to do a little biking. It's about 20miles from Midtown so its passable if you go before rush hour. I used to take my bike in with me to the days I went into the office in Norcross and spend a few hrs at Big Creek.

As for the trails themselves...I much prefer Blanket's. It's smoother, more spread out, true elevation changes, and less likely to huck a rock into your frame. I can do 30 miles off road at Blankets while 13 miles at Big Creek makes me feel totally beat up.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:56 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
Soap Creek on the Hooch, I used to Mtn Bike there years ago.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:52 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Check out the Southern Bicycle League, bikesbl.org, for numerous intown rides, some along the intown paths, others on 'safer' streets. The 'paths' in Atlanta tend to be bike lanes added to existing roads rather than a dedicated bike-only trail(many discussions on the SBL site regarding paths). The ABC, Atlanta Bicycle Campaign, is a bike advocacy organization that would welcome your input regarding safe cycling in Atlanta.

Both organizations have regular intown and out-of-town rides that offer safety in numbers. I'll bet the Freight Room ride in Decatur on Saturday will have at least 2 dozen riders...have a cold one at Mellow Mushroom for me! Tell'em CoachRick says "Howdy" from Austin.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:32 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Soap Creek on the Hooch, I used to Mtn Bike there years ago.
Sope Creek is mostly closed off to bikers and they added some stupid stair steps on the only trail that allowed bicycles. It's maybe 5 miles for a loop so not very much biking. Also the crushed gravel path is hell on keeping the drivetrain in good shape. It's about 15 min from Buckhead but I think it's worth the extra few minutes to go to Big Creek.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:15 PM

95 posts, read 283,561 times
The Johnson Ferry section of Chattahoochee NRA (at the end of columns drive), and also the Azalea trail in Roswell. These both follow the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta