Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:25 AM

38 posts, read 216,443 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of Walden Crossing (McCar Homes) in Mableton? I'm not finding much online as far as reviews, even though they have a similar development --Cobblestone Creek. If you're familiar with this development or 30126 in general, I would like to hear your thoughts on crime, shopping, traffic, and demographic makeup. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 11:26 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
Has anyone heard of Walden Crossing (McCar Homes) in Mableton? I'm not finding much online as far as reviews, even though they have a similar development --Cobblestone Creek. If you're familiar with this development or 30126 in general, I would like to hear your thoughts on crime, shopping, traffic, and demographic makeup. Thanks.
Mableton has been discussed in this forum before, so a search for "Mableton" may bring up some relevant threads about the Mableton area in general.

I'm mainly familiar with the upper right quadrant of the Mableton area, while the Walden Crossing development appears to be slightly south of the centerpoint, so I really don't know much about that area (I generally don't travel south of Veterans Memorial Highway). I do know where Cobblestone Creek is, but not much else.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:29 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,539,910 times
I've seen this development from Veterans (I used to live in Providence, right across the street from the Publix over there) and I personally did not care for it. The homes appear small and like a mismash of random styles (pseudo arts and crafts meets modern classic) and there are some very steep hills that were wiped clean of trees and have massive retaining walls. I just have this phobia of retaining walls - maybe because the war of nature vs. man-made usually goes nature's way....eventually. The fact that it is a McCar dev't also sets off red flags, as I'm sure you can find plenty of negative sentiments about them on these boards. One thing that would be cool about this dev't is some possible city skyline views, as it is on top of a hill with a direct siteline to downtown. Take a drive through and check out models/in-process inventory, but I feel if you just drove over to Providence or Legacy (right up the road and built by John Wieland) you would see a huge difference in quality and streetscape design.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:33 PM

Thanks, RC & S75...there are quite a few threads about Mableton. It was a bit confusing trying to get a feel of whether this particular area was considered stable, up and coming, or going downhill. I wasn't aware of the nearby John Wieland development. I'll be sure to check it out, as I've read good reviews about this builder.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:51 PM

All of Mableton is "up and coming" just in different stages or coming from different type of legacies. This particular patch has been predominantly either undeveloped or land used for warehouses/distribution. I personally believe this stretch will be more sought after than other stretches of M'ton b/c it feeds right into Midtown/Downtown via Bankhead or other routes. When I lived in Providence, I could get to/from my office on North Ave. in no more than 35 minutes both ways. There is a brand new Publix shopping center immediately across the road from Providence, and a Starbucks recently went in between Providence and Walden Crossing. Also, the other Wieland, Legacy, will be mixed use along the lines of the Ivy Walk shopping center/townhome complex in Smyrna. The biggest negative of this particular stretch has been it's proximity to Bankhead Courts, which is about a mile in towards town, but that is supposed to be demolished in 2009 or 2010.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:57 PM
ABM

339 posts, read 993,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
All of Mableton is "up and coming" just in different stages or coming from different type of legacies..
What are your thoughts on the "up & comingness" of the area next to the amphitheater - basically, Floyd Rd. between Veterans Memorial and Nickajack? I hear that they'll be widening Floyd Rd. That will certainly be interesting.

Also, FWIW, here's a website on Mableton stuff in the news, etc. --> Home

Last edited by ABM; 03-04-2008 at 02:05 PM..

Old 03-04-2008, 02:04 PM

OOPS - just realized I got Walden and Cobblestone confused....errr, I would probably avoid Walden, unless you really want to pioneer. It is on Mableton Pkwy, and that is a little too close to Six Flags and riff-raff for me, personally. That area is very very far from up-and-coming status.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:07 PM

ABM - I am not uber-familiar with that part of Mableton, outside of driving through it to get to stuff on E-W Connector, going to the post office, or running the annual Silver Comet 10k (which starts in front of Floyd MS). I think it is more advanced in terms of up-and-comingness than the area I spoke of earlier, though. I think it has great potential and I believe I read somewhere (not sure where, it's been a while) about a general plan for that part of Floyd Rd. to be re-developed to be more pedestrian friendly, which would be perfect for the venture I know you are looking into. Widening Floyd Rd. is a good idea - there is simply too much traffic/flow on it...hopefully they make it aesthetically pleasing and safe.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:12 PM
ABM

339 posts, read 993,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
ABM - I am not uber-familiar with that part of Mableton, outside of driving through it to get to stuff on E-W Connector, going to the post office, or running the annual Silver Comet 10k (which starts in front of Floyd MS). I think it is more advanced in terms of up-and-comingness than the area I spoke of earlier, though. I think it has great potential and I believe I read somewhere (not sure where, it's been a while) about a general plan for that part of Floyd Rd. to be re-developed to be more pedestrian friendly, which would be perfect for the venture I know you are looking into. Widening Floyd Rd. is a good idea - there is simply too much traffic/flow on it...hopefully they make it aesthetically pleasing and safe.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Oh, have I said how much I love this site?! It's wonderful that people are so forthcoming on so many things. The never-ending wonder of the internet.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Oh, have I said how much I love this site?! It's wonderful that people are so forthcoming on so many things. The never-ending wonder of the internet.
I agree that this board is a tremendous help. As I familiarize myself with Atlanta, it's interesting to read perspectives on various topics. This board is definitely a great resource tool as I have used many times over.

Also, thanks S75 for the clarification. My goal is to try and find a subdivision like Barnes Mill (Smyrna) without the high price tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta