Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 03:49 PM

59 posts, read 228,069 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at homes right now in the Ormewood / Grant Park area and are considering buying a 2 bedroom then adding a 3rd and possibly 4th bedroom as well as expanding the kitchen. Basically, we hope increase the size of the house by about 50%. We've seen so many homes that were bought a year ago, the owner fixed them up (mostly cosmetic), and are now selling them for six figures more than they paid for them!!! I'd rather do that myself and make the home the way we want it and save some money but don't know if this could be too much of a headache.

My questions are specific but lacking some details as this is just a preliminary inquiry. Just looking for some basic info.
  • What might be a ballpark figure I should expect to spend?
  • How long could it take to complete? I assume builders aren't super busy these days and would not be backed up.
  • Does it take long to get permits?
  • Are there any builders in the Atlanta area you'd recommend or advise staying away from?
I think that's all I'm trying to find out. Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 06:21 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
A lot depends on where you're starting from, and what you're looking to end up with. For example- can the existing electrical service handle the additional loads? How about the HVAC system? How much reconfiguration will be going on for the plumbing? Are you going to upgrade windows, doors, siding, etc., while you're doing the addition and kitchen? I can go on for hours.

It's impossible to give you a ballpark that's even within 50% without more info- you can spend $10k on a kitchen reno, or $100k in the same space. If you find a particular home and would like to have it evaluated, drop me a private message.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:29 AM

59 posts, read 228,069 times
Good points... thank you, Bob. I think it might end up being more trouble then it's worth. The lease on our rental home is up July 1st and I've got a pregnant wife. Probably won't be able to get all that done before July and I don't want our home to be a work zone for her entire pregnancy!!!

Feel free to delete this thread if you like so it doesn't clog up the forum.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:31 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
There's NO WAY you could have something like that done by July 1st- even if you owned the home already, and had a permit in hand.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:44 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,788 times
May end up being worth it but be prepared for it taking longer then expected and costing more then expected. I don't know what the current cost per sq ft is but I would bet it would be over $100/ft for sure so it you had the space and added 1,000 ft then you'd be looking at well over $100,000 to do it. Best thing would be to talk to a good contractor and get some ballpark ideas of cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtotheATL View Post
My wife and I are looking at homes right now in the Ormewood / Grant Park area and are considering buying a 2 bedroom then adding a 3rd and possibly 4th bedroom as well as expanding the kitchen. Basically, we hope increase the size of the house by about 50%. We've seen so many homes that were bought a year ago, the owner fixed them up (mostly cosmetic), and are now selling them for six figures more than they paid for them!!! I'd rather do that myself and make the home the way we want it and save some money but don't know if this could be too much of a headache.

My questions are specific but lacking some details as this is just a preliminary inquiry. Just looking for some basic info.
  • What might be a ballpark figure I should expect to spend?
  • How long could it take to complete? I assume builders aren't super busy these days and would not be backed up.
  • Does it take long to get permits?
  • Are there any builders in the Atlanta area you'd recommend or advise staying away from?
I think that's all I'm trying to find out. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:19 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,391,140 times
Based upon average renovation construction costs on average quality/craft, I would expect to pay $180/s.f. With the recession still bulging, you should be able to get it lower than that though. If you want it lower than that, expect a quick, less detailed project and you could get it close to $100/s.f. Also, your property taxes, utility bills, etc will all increase.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
First rule of thumb - whatever time frame a contractor gives you for when they'll be finished, it will really be twice as long. Whatever time frame you give yourself to do it, it usually takes three times longer.

You also want to make sure and not overdo it. Don't overspend for your area. Are there other 4BR homes around there? Do they have granite in their kitchens? If not, don't go there unless you plan on staying a while, etc. I live in a neighborhood of simple 1960s brick ranches that average $150,000. The guy behind me spent $70,000 on a kitchen remodel. A year later his wife decided she wanted a new "custom" home so they moved out and the house has been empty since because he can't sell it for what he has in it.

So if you do decide to do this (after the birth, etc), take costs per neighborhood for resale into consideration too. You for sure want to add a Master Bedroom with it's own private bath, and DECENT cabinets/counters in a kitchen, but beyond that, look at the neighbor's homes first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta