Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2007, 09:31 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,351 times

Advertisements

CNN recently did a video segment on Lithonia, GA.

For those interested in the area, check it out:

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...ation.town.cnn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 05:46 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,397 times
Thanks for posting this. I was looking for this online and couldn't find it anywhere.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:39 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,690 times
very interesting. It brings up a lot of questions on race and segregation. What it made me realize is that we all enjoy being with our own kind, whether that sentiment is good or bad is up for debate.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,377 times
I live in the same county as Lithonia and most of our county, DeKalb County, has a black majority. Though most parts of the county aren't as affluent as Lithonia is.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,408 times
Very interesting.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:35 PM

23 posts, read 148,265 times
Default cnn video story on lithonia, ga

Thanks DoveDiva for that cnn article on living in lithonia. My brother who is caribbean american recently moved to lithonia in an extremely huge, beautiful house and he loves it there. Lithonia is nice, but personally, I would prefer to see more diversity there. I feel segregated areas of any culture is a minus for any comuunity, because people from all parts of the world can contribute postive things to a community.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:56 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,443 times
Everything that agent says is illegal if basis showing clients certain neighborhoods based on race.

There's been National Real Estate, yada, yada, disbar agents for explicitly showing white people a white neighborhood, who requested it, with undercover agents.

Apparently this is wrong, me personally I don't care, I'd rather live with Whites as the people in Lithonia rather live with Blacks.

Unlike some folks, it is actually ok to have a choice, it's America.

I'm tired of people calling it a 'Racial' thing, it's a 'Culture' thing.

It's just like anyone who comes on her looking for black, jew, muslim, indian, etc neighborhoods is ok. The minute someone mentions, 'I want to live with Whites', it becomes a racial issue.

People need to get over this PC b/s.

I'm all for Lithonia being a 'Black' area and have no problem with it, I don't want to hear people bitchn' about Cobb and how it's white, we don't want rail b/c of black, etc.

I'm guessing those affluent Black aren't catching Marta into Atlanta just like Cobb isn't.

My complaint is, with all this 'Diversity' talk on here, how come the minorities keep repetively trying to divide themselves yet blame the whites for it.
This is a prime example.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,176 times
gt6974a:

The content of your post is probably the best example of the basis of your own "complaints".

Udee:

I co-sign with you. I prefer a more diverse community, because it's not only reflective of real-world America, it enriches us.

I would say that Black Georgians who prefer segregated communities ought to know better. But they'll get no complaints from many White Georgians, precisely because many of them want to be just as segregated.

It's a crying shame that so many Georgians are still stuck in the 19th century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta