Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:58 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Who says I was referring to clubs that attract that type of crowd?
Unfortunately, clubs, no matter how well-intentioned have a tendency to attract 'that kind of crowd' eventually. I guess it goes with the demographics. Most people under thirty have no interest in clubbing, and those under thirty are more likely to be involved in undesirable activities. And lets face it, property taxes and sales taxes from other businesses are definitely more stable and reliable forms of revenue for a community than clubs. Factor in the fact that you have to have increased police patrols in areas with lots of clubs and I can understand why Buckhead worked so hard to eliminate that scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 02:01 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I read all of the comments and I agree that it would be a huge blow to Atlanta if Buckhead was lost. Working out problems is always is always the best route, in my opinion.
Yep. Not only should Atlanta not lose Buckhead, but Atlanta needs to annex a whole bunch of other areas as well.

I've listed before (which areas should be annexed), but here I go again :

Brookhaven
North Atlanta
Sandtown Area
Old Campbellton Area
South Fulton north of Union City and Fairburn
Vinings
Oakdale
Six Flags Area
Gresham Park
Constitution/Intrenchment Creek Area
Emory
Druid Hills (all)
Sage Hill
The Greater Briarcliff-North Druid Hills-Toco Hills-Oak Grove Area
Scottdale
Mountain View Area of Clayton County
Fulton Industrial Area
Sandy Springs (should've been annexed by Atlanta)
Dunwoody (should've been annexed by Atlanta)
Chattahoochee Hills (should've been annexed by Atlanta)

Old 05-24-2009, 02:08 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Not exactly...

Milton County and Campbell County were annexed by/added to Fulton County.

The old Milton County consisted roughly of everything north of the Chattahoochee River (a sliver of it took up parts south of the river). The county seat was Alpharetta.

The old Campbell County was roughly what is considered South Fulton today. The county seat was Fairburn (the county seat was the old, vacated town of Campbellton back in the really early days).

Fulton County originally consisted of Atlanta proper, East Point, College Park, Hapeville, the Adamsville and Sandtown areas, and...gasp...Sandy Springs!

Roswell (older Roswell...not Martin's Landing/Horseshoe Bend area) was a part of Cobb County. It joined Fulton when Milton County did in order to make the land areas more contiguous.

It's funny...Sandy Springs is all about this new Milton County thing...but, the city/area/town was never a part of the original Milton County! Hmmmmm...

The North Fulton High School was just that...it served North Fulton. Many people don't realize that Buckhead was not annexed by Atlanta until the early 1950's. So, North Fulton High School served the northern part of Fulton County...Buckhead and Sandy Springs at that time (pre-1950 era). This changed, of course, once Buckhead became a part of Atlanta City, Northside High was also built, etc.
You are correct. I referenced Fulton County in the New Georgia Encyclopedia, which backs up your claim.

New Georgia Encyclopedia: Fulton County

Old 05-24-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
You are correct. I referenced Fulton County in the New Georgia Encyclopedia, which backs up your claim.

New Georgia Encyclopedia: Fulton County
Of course I'm correct and of course it backed it up...

There are some people on here who don't just make $h!t up...

Old 05-24-2009, 03:23 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Unfortunately, clubs, no matter how well-intentioned have a tendency to attract 'that kind of crowd' eventually. I guess it goes with the demographics. Most people under thirty have no interest in clubbing, and those under thirty are more likely to be involved in undesirable activities. And lets face it, property taxes and sales taxes from other businesses are definitely more stable and reliable forms of revenue for a community than clubs. Factor in the fact that you have to have increased police patrols in areas with lots of clubs and I can understand why Buckhead worked so hard to eliminate that scene.
My statement was in reference to that as a destination for travel and business pleasure ,you need a good mix.Not whether its good for the tax base.Many of the clubs in Midtown are pretty well managed.Meaning that it does not really get out of hand.I think why the clubs failed in Buckhead was partly due to location.Also had to do with police presence.Midtown Blue and the Atlanta police force are pretty vigilant.There are clubs like Tongue and Groove,Sambuca Jazz Cafe ,to name a few,that have a more chill crowd.It also depends on the scene.A jazz crowd is not as rambunctious as a Hip hop or heavy metal crowd.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:50 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
Um...we're talking about Buckhead, right? Major office towers, major shopping, major hotels. Lenox area ring a bell?
It's called "buckhead" but the main hotel area around lenox near the MARTA station is a completely different demographic and income level that most of buckhead. Most people who live in Buckhead don't even go to lenox, that's the whole purpose of the streets of buckhead, so that they can keep that area and they definitely don't want lenox (probably because of MARTA). Lenox has a different character, it's younger and more transient.. Buckhead is the large wooded residential area Mr. paran road, northside drive, paces ferry, etc..

Maybe West of Piedmont road I'd consider that Buckhead.

Last edited by blondandfun; 05-24-2009 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-24-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
It's called "buckhead" but the main hotel area around lenox near the MARTA station is a completely different demographic and income level that most of buckhead. Most people who live in Buckhead don't even go to lenox, that's the whole purpose of the streets of buckhead, so that they can keep that area and they definitely don't want lenox (probably because of MARTA). Lenox has a different character, it's younger and more transient.. Buckhead is the large wooded residential area Mr. paran road, northside drive, paces ferry, etc..

Um...what?

Buckhead - Atlanta, Georgia - Buckhead Neighborhood Map

Old 05-25-2009, 08:19 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post

The Lenox area is definitely within Buckhead. You remain in Buckhead until you hit the Fulton/DeKalb Co. line and enter Brookhaven.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:10 AM

1,180 posts, read 983,992 times
Buckhead cityhood talk reappears; business groups condemn it

Quote:
Talk of Buckhead separating from Atlanta to become its own city is rumbling once again, with neighborhood groups said to be forming to discuss the idea. But local City Council members warn it’s a difficult path, and major business organizations are condemning the idea as divisive in a time of debates about racial and economic inequity.

City Councilmember Howard Shook of North Buckhead’s District 7 said has heard new cityhood talk informally from residents and that it is driven by concerns about crime. But he also expressed skepticism about the complex process and the potential result.

“This crops up in direct connection with big spikes with crime,” said Shook, adding that now concern about “not just crime, but law and order, is at an unprecedented level, so it is angst and fear and anxiety, and people are curious as to whether the city of Buckhead is a viable answer.”

“Don’t think I don’t think about it,” Shook said of cityhood, but added that it’s far from simple. “People think, ‘OK, well, we’ll set up our city. There’ll be no taxes and cops will get cats out of trees.’ Well, not really.”

Old 07-16-2020, 07:26 AM

994 posts, read 501,782 times
It won't even happen. The irony is that Buckhead was annexed by the city in the 50s to help the city stay white majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta