Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:43 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
what a great example of why one must look at the story behind the numbers. someone would think NYC is the most unsafe city but while it has the most murders, it has the lowest murder rate, even lower than San Antonio, TX. Who woulda thunk it?
I know I would not walk around parts of Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, etc. I would not even ride on the subway late at night. I still feel unsafe in PARTS of Nyc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 07:46 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2000 View Post
I know I would not walk around parts of Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, etc. I would not even ride on the subway late at night. I still feel unsafe in PARTS of Nyc.

OK And?

I wouldn't walk around parts of Atlanta, Philly, Boston or any major city at night. There are unsafe/unsavory parts of all cities. The point is that based on murder rates alone (I'd have to look at crime stats for rape, robbery, burglary, etc.), NYC is by far the safest city. Of course NYC is somewhat of an anomaly because a large portion of its wealthy live within its city limits (maybe only Boston and San Francisco are comprable here) but remember that NYC had close to, if not more than 2000 murders annually in the late 80s/early 90s. Someone has done something right there.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:49 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Per capita is the only way to do it accurately. I think we can all agree that a city with 50 people and 2 murders is more dangerous than a city with 100 people and the same number of murders. Of course, if you really want to evaluate how dangerous a city is, murder isn't a good variable to measure. Face it, most murders fall into two categories: criminals or domestic. I'm sure if you looked at raw data for the 105 murders in this town, overwhelmingly the victims were criminals of some sort. Usually in the drug trade. So, for the most part, if you aren't a criminal of some sort or involved in a domestic violence situation, you're unlikely to become a murder victim.

Yes, I know there are exceptions, but that's a general breakdown. The crime that would be a better indicator of crimes that actually impact citizens (besides white collar, of course) would be armed robbery. Armed robbery is a crime of desperados, most criminals don't want to interact with their victim if they can help it. They want to get your stuff and get away clean so they can fence it and get their fix ASAP. People who resort to armed robbery are incredibly dangerous and this is the crime most likely to catch a regular citizen.

I haven't studied crime in Atlanta, but if there's been a sudden sharp increase in the murder rate, it would be interesting to find out why. I'm sure the beat cops already know this already. All manner of issues factor into it, but usually there's some type of turf war amongst drug dealers, or other issues. Take NOLA for instance. The problem there, post-Katrina isn't too many criminals, it's too few. Yeah, I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but bear with me. As everyone knows, criminals police their own. They try to keep violent crimes down because they bring too much heat and impact profit. Well, in NOLA the criminals were evacuated as well, and many didn't come back. So you have a power vacuum and a subsequent power struggle. So, what, if anything is going on in Atlanta? Has a major drug dealer recently died, or been locked up? Those are the kinds of questions I would hope law enforcement is asking right now.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
OK And?

I wouldn't walk around parts of Atlanta, Philly, Boston or any major city at night. There are unsafe/unsavory parts of all cities. The point is that based on murder rates alone (I'd have to look at crime stats for rape, robbery, burglary, etc.), NYC is by far the safest city. Of course NYC is somewhat of an anomaly because a large portion of its wealthy live within its city limits (maybe only Boston and San Francisco are comprable here) but remember that NYC had close to, if not more than 2000 murders annually in the late 80s/early 90s. Someone has done something right there.
Nyc still have over 550 murders last year. Even though the city has over 8 million people those numbers are still dangerous IMO. I know about the per capita, blah blah blah but it is still bad in Nyc

Old 06-09-2009, 08:16 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Per capita is the only way to do it accurately. I think we can all agree that a city with 50 people and 2 murders is more dangerous than a city with 100 people and the same number of murders.
Per capita is the right measure, but it can be misleading as was stated. If you compare only within the city limits, a city like NYC has a much larger absolute population and many more high income and middle class residents who live within the city limits. That tends to show a lower overall crime figure compared to a city like Atlanta with a smaller population within the city limits and a higher percentage of that population being low income residents living in higher crime areas. If the entire Atlanta MSA (or at least the core metro counties) was compared, then I bet the numbers would come out a bit differently.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:24 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
According to the FBI files, Atlanta has a population of 533,014.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:27 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Per capita is the right measure, but it can be misleading as was stated. If you compare only within the city limits, a city like NYC has a much larger absolute population and many more high income and middle class residents who live within the city limits. That tends to show a lower overall crime figure compared to a city like Atlanta with a smaller population within the city limits and a higher percentage of that population being low income residents living in higher crime areas. If the entire Atlanta MSA (or at least the core metro counties) was compared, then I bet the numbers would come out a bit differently.
I am not so sure.The suburbs of NYC (Nassau, Fairfield, Westchester, Bergen County, etc.) are some of the wealthiest and safest in the nation as well as largest in terms of population. While Newark, NJ will defintely hurt the New York metro safety numbers, I doubt it would bring it in line with cities such as Atlanta or St. Louis. New York suburbs, by virtue of cost tend to have more high income earners populating them which is reflective in their lower crime rates. It is not as if the *criminal element* in the NYC metro area resides and commits much of its crime outside of NYC which would then skew the numbers for the entire Tri-State area. Its the exact opposite. And remember while NYC would have more high income earners, etc., it also has more criminals (and murders, rapes, robberies) which is why we have to look at per capita numbers.

I do agree though that its important to look at the totality of the Atlanta experience. The city of Atlanta makes up only about 10% of the metro Atlanta population whereas the city of NY makes up about 40% of the metro NYC (tri-state area) population. This is where you and others would have a valid point about crime stats in Atlanta proper distorting the reality for Atlanta metro.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:38 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
I do agree though that its important to look at the totality of the Atlanta experience. The city of Atlanta makes up only about 10% of the metro Atlanta population whereas the city of NY makes up about 40% of the metro NYC (tri-state area) population. This is where you and others would have a valid point about crime stats in Atlanta proper distorting the reality for Atlanta metro.
That was my point. If you look at the tri-state area in NY, there are something like 15 million people within a 50 mile radius, and the 5 boroughs have almost 9 million all by themselves.

I was thinking along the lines of what you mentioned that the actual City of Atlanta is only around 10% of the metro area but it probably accounts for a higher percentage of the serious crime. Maybe not, but that's my perception.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:52 AM

When i'm talking around NYC i'm thinking that over 550 were murdered there last year. Im not thinking that 550 were murdered but I should feel safer because of the per capita

Old 06-09-2009, 10:06 AM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2000 View Post
When i'm talking around NYC i'm thinking that over 550 were murdered there last year. Im not thinking that 550 were murdered but I should feel safer because of the per capita
Whats your point of all of this? I feel alot safer in NYC than I do in the city of Atlanta and most of its suburbs...but at the end of the day who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta