Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times

Advertisements

First of all, a very sickening story:

Burglars Wipe Out Business in Broad Daylight - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA (http://www.11alive.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=131433&catid=40 - broken link)

There are "crews" who drive around all day specifically looking for landscape and construction trailers like this to quickly rob, and they have no problem doing it in broad daylight in front of people. Sick. Moral of the story - 1) Insure EVERYTHING if you're in a construction/landscape business, and 2) Locks alone are not enough.

So, here's the question: Would you pay more for your product at a store if they hired private security to actually patrol parking lots? Not the dingy rent-a-cop jobbies, but REAL security. Home Depot, Lowes comes to mind with this type of robbery, but, a lot of stores/boutiques who have been hit lately by "blue jean bandits" could hire night time security to ensure their properties are guarded when they're closed as well. Prices for products at all stores that use these no doubt would go up to cover the cost. Would you be willing to pay more for products if there were visible security guards at a place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 10:35 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Yes, glady.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:44 AM

593 posts, read 2,894,654 times
I don't think I could afford to pay more for ENOUGH security to stop bandits like these. They are in and out in a matter of seconds before security even knows what happened.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:50 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
I don't think I could afford to pay more for ENOUGH security to stop bandits like these. They are in and out in a matter of seconds before security even knows what happened.
This is true. Security will never be able to stop this type of crime.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,985 times
My take on it is would you pay more in taxes to hire more police to patrol to curb this kind of crime since it's happening all over the place? Or any crime for that matter. Broad daylight in a HD parking lot take BALLS.

What if the owner came out and caught them inside his truck, that could have been a very ugly scene. It would have went from petty robbery to God knows what. These guys are acting brazen for a reason. They know the police are stretched too thin.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:43 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
I wouldn't pay for the security of somebody else's business since they all have a disclaimer that says "we are not responsible for YOUR stuff"

Let them deal with it.

In other words, they won't be protecting you even if they put a platoon of commandos in every lot

Old 08-05-2009, 12:07 PM

416 posts, read 1,090,067 times
Just after eating, this story made me sick.
In the comments after the article, 2 people wished that they would cut the perp's hands off. I second (or third) that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta