Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:19 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times

Advertisements

I remember when I was in DC and had to take the Amtrak to ATL after 9/11 when the airports were closed. I vowed to NEVER do it again lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 03:50 PM

454 posts, read 821,395 times
I have taken this trip 5 times in the last 2 years one way as part of a trip where I needed to be in DC and then fly to other forward destinations. Its fine and leaves at 8pm Atl and gets into VA King street at 8:30am or so. I had a sleeper a few times but the whistle keeps me awake anyway and the recliners are really comfortable so not sure its worth the extra cost. The resturant onboard is also OK but not up to the standard of other Amtrak routes in the NE etc. The most annoying thing is stopping at some po-dunk towns but to me its still way better than driving.

The return to Atl is harder to me as its daytime and not as efficent to me so heading south I always fly.

The Atlanta station is an embarrasment and not easy to get to. Normally I get a drink at one of the bars nearby (little mall opposite) before departing rather than wait in the lounge then cross the street just beforehand. The city really needs to improve the station and its location should obviously be next to Marta and have at least one decent bar/resturant in the building etc.

Also I should also mention the Acela from DC further north is really good and much faster/efficient due to the electric tracks. The main station in DC after VA is what Atlanta should be using for inspiration for the new proposed station in the gulch.

Last edited by jpatlanta; 03-26-2011 at 03:58 PM..

Old 03-26-2011, 08:53 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
I took this route when I moved up to New York because I didn't want to deal with the luggage restrictions of flying. I also wanted to just do it for the experience. It seemed like it took FOREVER(It was about 17 or 18 hours). I had a 5 hour layover in DC and that was cool since it was my first time up there and I took a quick strool around the Mall. Honestly the train isn't that comfortable if you have a regular(coach?) seat. They do serve drinks and snacks but they are kind of expensive and you end up stopping at a lot of podunk towns. I believe we stopped in Charlotte and they let us off the train for about 30 minutes to stretch our legs.

It's definitely not economical compared to flying. I've also taken the Chinatown bus and that is also a "unique" experience. It's $100 each way so honestly it's not much cheaper than flying. I believe the one to DC still runs regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: