Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,082 times

Advertisements

I can't believe ATT doesn't service 30291 area with Bundle. I spoke with a rep and they told me they don't offer internet service in that area. She suggested using a hotspot that provides 5GB....not gonna work for us. We have Comcast now but they're CAP is 300GB which we have exceeded the last two months. What is out there...I can't believed we relocated here and Atlanta can't keep up with the internet demands. Is there anything out here in the 30291 area that can provide internet service....fast and reliable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 05:55 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,363,625 times
The simple answer is, "No."

Old 05-22-2015, 06:51 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,522 times
I've been dealing with this lately. The only thing you can do right now is cut off your service or pray that Google Fiber arrives ASAP.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:53 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,939 times
The ISP industry is set up this way.

As one poster has already mention, no.

The only best tactic right now...is to switch between two or more main providers every so often. That is, if you are lucky to live in an area that's being serviced by at least two main providers.

And I am pretty sure that ISP switching isn't even a real tactic from the main Georgia ISPs' perspective. They know this is what a lot of people do.

Oligopolies tend to have "gentlemen's agreements" when it comes to "competing" with each other.

Like another poster had mentioned, the best hope for consumers is for Google Fiber to makes it's grand entrance into Metro Atlanta.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:06 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,641,559 times
They are all aligned

Old 05-22-2015, 08:25 AM

364 posts, read 418,533 times
ITP high-rises many have access to GigaMonster service. It is fast, good customer service and a flat pricing where you aren't worrying about what "deal" you need to keep bitching to get yourself put on. Everyone pays the same price for the different speed tiers.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:25 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,310,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
BTW...rip off implies that someone tries to pull one over on you. All of these providers tell you what they will sell you and what the prices and terms are for those services. No one is being ripped off. Vote with your wallet and feet.

Everyone in the U.S. is getting ripped off compared to other industrialized nations when it comes to broadband speeds vs price of service.

https://www.newamerica.org/oti/the-c...ectivity-2014/

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/up...abt=0002&abg=1

Old 05-22-2015, 08:26 AM

196 posts, read 389,110 times
Im not going to name people who said things i am about to address here because from page one to the end of this thread there are a few and I don't want to write everyone's name.

Basically, Comcast caps ARE a rip-off and I'll tell you why. First of all, I have had Comcast ever since it first came out - in California. I moved to Georgia recently and its the first time I ever heard of ANY provider having a cap. I never had a complaint about Comcast - before that.

The people who are saying "250 gigs is more than enough" are not people who spend a substantial amount of time on their PC. They obviously only use it to check email and go to a few forums - "lite" users. People who complain about the cap are NORMAL to ADVANCED internet users - not the dude who checks his phone for emails every once in a while. And those people COUNT TOO. Evidently, the people who think 250 gigs are enough do not watch videos (or any streaming), play games, or do anything fun on their PC. They also must not have kids who have their own computers and do what they want (with parental oversight of course). One poster even said something about the people who need more must be wanting to watch streaming video - well DUH. Our service should depend on OUR NEEDS and WANTS, we shouldn't have to scale back to the scant usage you accept. If I can watch streaming video without punishment in California, why not in Georgia too? Why is Georgia being discriminated against? Cuz we is dumb ****ree folk? Cuz we accept bull-pokey more easily and make excuses for the people who ARE ripping us off??? Can't pull that on Californians - its going all over the South, though!
(That was sarcasm, btw). And oh - Californians pay the same amount... for unlimited... no caps.

The very fact that the majority of states have no data caps blows any argument out of the water. You say there is limited broadband - or whatever, I can always say... what about California, where there is no cap? Argument DEAD. it is straight greed and the conception that country folk are stupid sheep who will roll over and accept being forked in the rear road.

250 gigs is NOT enough to maintain gaming console needs, PC needs, provide you with media (movies, music, streaming or not); for your phone needs, your tablet devices, your smart tv (and kids have their own TV these days - TVs that go on the internet and STREAM VIDEO). Even schools and colleges are having students use the internet, watch VIDEOS and other media. We have the Apple Watch - there are so many devices per person in a household (oh yes, Comcast has a security system too - with 24/7 video access... across the internet). Even wifi is held against your account balance (cap). 250 is NOT per household member - its for the entire account. if you have 4 people in your house hold - divide 250 by 4 and there ya go. The only way 250 gigs would be enough is for you to not be an avid internet user... and your spouse... and your kids... and Facebook has auto streaming videos now (you can turn them off). Those little "previews" suck up a massive amount of bandwidth. If you don't turn them off 300 gigs for a power user can go in less than a week... but you SHOULD be able to enjoy it because everyone in a non-capped state can.

So... I have no confusion about this. I just had business class installed so I can have the kind of service I had in California - for $100.00 less per month. The technician confirmed that the whole data cap thing is a rip off. I think I believe a Comcast tech before any "satisfied customer". He was not bitter, he loved his job and he loved Comcast. he just knew the truth and we hit it off so he told me things. If you be friendly to people you never know what they might divulge.

He said that the data caps are for the purpose of FORCING PEOPLE to keep using Comcast's TV services. Comcast does not want you spending all your time watching TV on the internet, because it provides TV services. Has nothing to do with bandwidth (which they have plenty of). The tech told me that the bandwidth is controlled by a setting in your router, which can be adjusted by a service technician. So if that is the case, it is not a bandwidth issue but a MONEY issue. that is why the service is tiered - not because they do not have enough bandwidth to go around, but because they want to manipulate you into believing there is a bandwidth shortage so they can short your pockets.

The tech told me that Comcast "could" just "let it go", and everyone would have bandwidth speeds like you wouldn't image. Comcast and other ISP's throttle our speeds so they can dispense them out in a planned way - for higher prices of course. The natural speed of internet traffic is far above what we are seeing - which is cropped back for the reasons I stated above (money).

REMEMBER - (if your old enough) the old Comcast commercials that told us that unlike DSL, our bandwidth is DEDICATED! That did NOT change. It's still the same old wires, same old equipment, same old technology. I guess Comcast thinks all of the people who saw their early marketing are all dead now. The whole bandwidth hogging issue was supposed to be solved by Cable internet - so I don't see why people are dredging up that lie to support caps. It was also part of Comcast's old mantra, printed on their website "Unlimited"... they removed that so don't bother looking it up.

So yes, data caps ARE a rip off. I'm sorry that some of you had what looked like compelling argument's for it - but all that is just your best guess and isn't even close to the truth. We are getting squeezed and RIPPED HARD by a company that just wan't you cash, and they figure it will be easy to do it to us country bumpkins. You should not advocate or fight FOR it, but demand equality with the rest of the United States (and the world, which has taken off ahead of us in this aspect...). Tell those wallet grabbers to stop strong arming you and remove the stupid cap!

JUST WANTED TO ADD:

Comcast collects fees from Netflix, Hulu and a host of other "streaming" services. The COMCAST TECH told me this as well. So they are getting paid from the rooter to the tooter - from us, the advertisers AND from the media companies... and then they have the NERVE to cap our data on top of that??? Information Highway Robbery is what it is! WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Last edited by magusat999; 05-22-2015 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta