Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:05 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
As far as DSL goes, expect to get 3.0 in most areas. Not to speedy but when I lived in my old neighborhood it was quiet stable.
The above claim surprises me. We get 6.0 from ISP Atlantic Nexus over the AT&T lines, in northeastern Cobb, near hwy 92. I would have thought if we can get 6.0, it must be fairly widely available.

Our DSL is very stable and Atlantic Nexus (a.k.a. Atnex) has excellent customer service. We don't want cable TV and my spouse so disapproves of Comcast's practices he'd have trouble bringing himself to use their service if they were the only ISP on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:15 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,197,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
We get 6.0 from ISP Atlantic Nexus over the AT&T lines, in northeastern Cobb, near hwy 92. I would have thought if we can get 6.0, it must be fairly widely available.
I had 6.0 DSL with AT&T, and it is available for anyone close enough to the DSLAM or central office. Because DSL is based on copper, distance in the loop matters and is the reason for difference in what speed you can get on your connection. Because of this, AT&T has built out many new DSLAMs and VRADs for DSL and U-Verse close to subdivisions.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:46 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
The above claim surprises me. We get 6.0 from ISP Atlantic Nexus over the AT&T lines, in northeastern Cobb, near hwy 92. I would have thought if we can get 6.0, it must be fairly widely available.

Our DSL is very stable and Atlantic Nexus (a.k.a. Atnex) has excellent customer service. We don't want cable TV and my spouse so disapproves of Comcast's practices he'd have trouble bringing himself to use their service if they were the only ISP on earth.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's incorrect. I've been out of the ISP biz for about 2 years now.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:15 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,711 times
Clear is here. Can't hurt to have the competition. If I ever drop my landline I'd consider Clear as an alternative to naked DSL.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:52 AM

37 posts, read 134,082 times
I'm using Clear right now with very few issues. I believe they have packages that let you connect remotely as well, since they use something akin to cell-phone transmitters around Atlanta.

I'm just happy to be free of Comcast in general, since I don't need their cable tv OR their phone service.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:25 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Another reason Fios will not come to Atlanta is the amount of sprawl in the area.
If that were the case, Fios wouldn't go to any large cities...

Old 06-21-2009, 09:14 PM

31 posts, read 180,414 times
Thanks all for the input. I'll probably just get a temporary solution until Atlanta offers something better.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:18 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,197,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDesign View Post
Thanks all for the input. I'll probably just get a temporary solution until Atlanta offers something better.
What else could you want/need? Whatever your preference, you can get it. Cable, DSL, WiMax, U-Verse, Satellite, dial up is all available in the Atlanta area. What better solution are you expecting?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 AM

31 posts, read 180,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
What else could you want/need? Whatever your preference, you can get it. Cable, DSL, WiMax, U-Verse, Satellite, dial up is all available in the Atlanta area. What better solution are you expecting?
I wouldn't say that. I don't like Comcast (very bad reputation) and U-verse is to expensive for what you get (They may limit me to 150GB a month which is pushing it. Besides, it's AT&T. ) Satellite is no good, and DSL is slow, and dial-up is unthinkable since I do web development.

There's only two choices I see (U-verse and Comcast) and they are both no good.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:06 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,376,020 times
dsl isnt slower. if you have fiber in your home/street or anywhere on the final loop, you are limited to 1.5mbps.. else on good old copper you can get 6

lol @ dsl being slow. you dont like comcast yet you are repeating their mantra of "we are faaaaaaaster than dsl"? funny.

in atlanta you can get comcast/cox (or was it RR,, something like that)/charter/att

in the suburbs you generally get charter OR comcast. windstream OR att.

there are a few more providers that do nothing but resell att lines. dslextreme was one if i recall the name. i havent been keeping up with the rat race lately; dont care to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta