Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 05:14 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,773,093 times

Advertisements

What is it about Atlanta for it's population to be growing like a sunbelt city? I don't see it. I always question why Atlanta have a hudge reputation, and seems to be growing the way it does, I'm confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 09:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times
First off, I'm moving this to the Atlanta room where it belongs, as in the Georgia room you'll get fewer replies.

To answer the post:

1) Corporate head hunters tell people from around the country that Atlanta is "the place" to get a job (it's not true - the recession is here as much as anywhere just about).

2) Black leaders tell blacks that Atlanta is a "black mecca" land of milk and honey. Many find when they get here that it's simply a large city with a lot of black people, but not necessarily a mecca, and you have to work very hard for your share of the honey.

3) Location: Some folks move for location. You're not far from the mountains, not super far from the ocean, and have four distinct seasons.

4) Transportation: If you run certain types of businesses, the Atlanta airport plus the fact three major Interstate highways and a train yard or two that run through the city would be a major selling point.

5) Weather: I personally think our weather is "extreme", meaning it's either really good, or really crappy. But some folks love it. No 3 foot snows in the Winter, and no Miami type heat/humidity (though close sometimes).

6) Home prices: Before the bust, you could sell your home in L.A. or NYC and easily buy 2 or even 3 homes for what you made back in your old place. You could sell your NYC condo, and move here to buy a place twice the size, one-third the price, and poof - enough money left over for an instant retirement account. Even now home prices are cheaper than most any major city.

I'm sure others will come up with more.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:37 PM

722 posts, read 3,317,394 times
Atlanta is considered a sunbelt city, by the way

Old 07-05-2009, 12:43 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Wow AtlantaGreg, a great response to an off beat question. You are quite the gentleman. All I wanted to do was ask what a hudge was.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:46 PM

649 posts, read 1,424,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
First off, I'm moving this to the Atlanta room where it belongs, as in the Georgia room you'll get fewer replies.

To answer the post:

1) Corporate head hunters tell people from around the country that Atlanta is "the place" to get a job (it's not true - the recession is here as much as anywhere just about).

2) Black leaders tell blacks that Atlanta is a "black mecca" land of milk and honey. Many find when they get here that it's simply a large city with a lot of black people, but not necessarily a mecca, and you have to work very hard for your share of the honey.

3) Location: Some folks move for location. You're not far from the mountains, not super far from the ocean, and have four distinct seasons.

4) Transportation: If you run certain types of businesses, the Atlanta airport plus the fact three major Interstate highways and a train yard or two that run through the city would be a major selling point.

5) Weather: I personally think our weather is "extreme", meaning it's either really good, or really crappy. But some folks love it. No 3 foot snows in the Winter, and no Miami type heat/humidity (though close sometimes).

6) Home prices: Before the bust, you could sell your home in L.A. or NYC and easily buy 2 or even 3 homes for what you made back in your old place. You could sell your NYC condo, and move here to buy a place twice the size, one-third the price, and poof - enough money left over for an instant retirement account. Even now home prices are cheaper than most any major city.

I'm sure others will come up with more.
Great post! I also want to add that Atlanta is the biggest city/metro in one of the hottest regions in the US. I stated in another thread that you have to drive 600 miles in any direction to find any real competition. this makes ATL stand out. The music industry and the media(CNN, Weather channel, Cartoon network, Trutv, TNT, etc.) in the area also makes it stand out. The movie industry is on the come up as well. It amazes me how many people still think of Atlanta as just home of Coke, underground and the Airport.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:06 PM

722 posts, read 3,317,394 times
senoia, ga is the next hollywood haha

Old 07-05-2009, 06:31 PM

82 posts, read 143,110 times
Atlanta is the unofficial capital of the South and as such, every major corporation in America and the world wants to have a presence there. So that means jobs and once Atlanta got the repuation (especially among young people) that good jobs were available the influx began and sort of fed on itself. Atlanta has the reputation of being a boom town, deserved or not, and once a place gets that reputaion it is hard to stop people coming. Just like people avoid Detroit, Cleveland and Buffalo because they have the repuation that they are "dying" they will keep flocking to Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte, etc. based on perception and hope. The good weather and relatively low cost of living in Atlanta doesn't hurt either.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:44 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,773,093 times
Answers given on this forum were no reasons to convince me, though I see how it could trigger others to the Atlanta area. I just don't see it as a diserable place, but it really goes by preference. It will be interesting to visit the city though.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:56 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Answers given on this forum were no reasons to convince me, though I see how it could trigger others to the Atlanta area. I just don't see it as a diserable place, but it really goes by preference. It will be interesting to visit the city though.
It's just a matter of personal taste...some people have good taste, other people don't. People make choices in life depending on their taste and preferences, and obviously MANY people have made a choice to reside in Atlanta.

I don't think anyone was actually trying to 'convince' you...but simply to answer your question. If you haven't visited the city, how can you possibly say that you don't see Atlanta as a desirable place? You can't possibly know...

Old 07-09-2009, 12:00 PM

257 posts, read 669,807 times
It's cheap, warm and has a growing number of jobs. That's sort of sums it up. Most growing cities seem to be those with low cost of land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta