Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:18 PM

24 posts, read 133,921 times

Advertisements

I am considering traveling by bus to Indianapolis, IN. I have never traveled by bus before, but this is the most affordable option to me right now. On my route, there is a transfer with a fairly long layover in Atlanta. I am a little concerned about safety of the location because of some things people have said, but I don't know if those people are blowing things out of proportion or not, so I thought I would ask people who actually live in Atlanta. How safe or unsafe do you consider the Greyhound stations in Atlanta to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 12:22 PM

109 posts, read 364,193 times
Used this greyhound station myself and it's accessible to the city MARTA train which is safe if you want to spent some time visiting the Olympic park area or underground Atlanta stores while you are here . It's safe, well-lit but don't recommend you leave it. They are building the new police station right across from the greyhound station but I'm not sure if it's open yet. There is a homeless shelter right there in the same block so expect lots of panhandlers if your layover is during the day. Good luck on your journey!!!

Old 07-12-2009, 12:32 PM

24 posts, read 133,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingGA View Post
Used this greyhound station myself and it's accessible to the city MARTA train which is safe if you want to spent some time visiting the Olympic park area or underground Atlanta stores while you are here . It's safe, well-lit but don't recommend you leave it. They are building the new police station right across from the greyhound station but I'm not sure if it's open yet. There is a homeless shelter right there in the same block so expect lots of panhandlers if your layover is during the day. Good luck on your journey!!!
Thanks so much for your reply. I'll probably just stay in the station during the layover. What are the best times of day and worst times of day (safetywise) to be there? I have 3-4 options for my trip: one would put there from 6am-8am, another around 5pm/6pm, and another at midnight (don't think I want to take that one).

Old 07-12-2009, 01:40 PM

235 posts, read 838,096 times
Quote:
6am-8am, another around 5pm/6pm
Either of these times are fine as more people are around. I definitely would shy away from being there at midnight. There are police around there almost all the time as the police station is not far away. It may look kinda rough around there, but the most you will see are some panhandlers and they are less likely to be there in the early time than late afternoon. If your wait is a long time, maybe you can store your bags and take a look around, as you are in downtown.

I personally am not fond of taking the bus (greyhound) because many of the people are rough in appearance, but most people won't bother you and will keep to themselves. You will find relative safety in numbers.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:42 PM

184 posts, read 511,043 times
The one I always pass (on or around Trinity Ave I think) is right across from Magic City so you might want to go over there if you have a couple hours to kill.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:22 AM

66 posts, read 276,702 times
The Atlanta Greyhound station is in one of the most blighted parts of the city. It's not really dangerous, per se, but you'll definitely be harrassed by Atlanta's large number of panhandlers. If you can handle that, hop on the Marta train which is located close by and head north to see some sights. Otherwise bring a good book and stay in the bus station. You will see pretty much one of the rougher looking parts of Atlanta with the druggies and bums to complement the view.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:24 AM

66 posts, read 276,702 times
Forgot to mention... your best bet for a layover would be the early morning one as the city has more normal people who come downtown to work during those hours. During the evening, it will be clearing out and you'll be left with the bums. I'd pick the 6-8am time period if I were you.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:33 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times
It is fine for a layover. I would suggest you take the 10 minute walk up Peachtree (Atlanta' Grandest Blvd. ) and thhen make a left on Marietta Street and you will run right into the CNN Center & Centennial Olympic Park. Grab some breakfast and chill out in the park on a nice early morning then take the same route back to catch your bus. It's not as bad as people say but just keep walking If approaced by pan-handlers. I work downtown and you just have to keep it moving.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:20 AM

593 posts, read 2,893,334 times
Just FYI, if you sign up for the emails on the Airtran website you will get the unpublished fares. The last one I saw to Indy with 10 days advanced notice was $59 each way.

The lowest greyhound bus ticket I saw was $69.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:27 AM

823 posts, read 2,215,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Just FYI, if you sign up for the emails on the Airtran website you will get the unpublished fares. The last one I saw to Indy with 10 days advanced notice was $59 each way.

The lowest greyhound bus ticket I saw was $69.
The OP is not going from Atlanta to Indianapolis. They are going from somewhere else to Indianapolis and need to change buses in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta