Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:22 PM

248 posts, read 649,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewyorker123 View Post
So you're saying that its possible to live in Decatur without a car? I'd still have walking distance access to stores (grocery). etc?
It depends on what your "etc" entails. Downtown Decatur is great and there are a lot of things in walking distance, but it doesn't have every amenity you might find in one of the Midtown neighborhoods. There's nothing like Piedmont Park or the High Museum there, for instance.

Also, I see you're a native of NY -- if you're from Manhattan or Brooklyn you might find Decatur to be a culture shock in some ways since it does have a small-town feel. If that's a problem, you could consider the Peachtree corridor in Midtown. That's where I live and it mostly satiates my desire for the walkable, big-city, urban experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 01:51 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
hey, "lovindecatur'--mind sharing the name of your complex? or complexes in the decatur area near the MARTTA.
I live in a house. Downtown Decatur is mostly made up of houses, townhouses and condos. The Braden-Fellman website that I gave you lists most of the small complexes around here that I know. Some are unnamed, so you would really just have to walk the downtown area to find them.
One alternative would be the Gables Montclair, near the corner of Clairmont and North Decatur Rds. It's next to a lot of shopping and amenities and is about a mile from the Emory Campus and downtown Decatur.

www.gables.com/montclair

Old 07-15-2009, 02:13 PM

10 posts, read 28,648 times
I'm also going to vote for Midtown. I lived there last summer with a car, but I think I used my car twice. There are tons of restaurants, parks, groceries, pharmacies, bars, and shopping within walking distance. Plus I used the Midtown marta stop to get to the airport and buckhead. Your price range would be a moderate constraint in that area, but there are a few older complexes where you should be able to find a 1BR.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:16 AM

360 posts, read 1,011,567 times
I recently looked at the Ice House Lofts, and it could fit your bill. Bonus: It's close to MARTA. I decided to postpone a moving decision out of laziness, not because of any real issues with the place. (The cable/phone wiring is a little lacking there, I will warn you about that).

You might want to consider buying a moped/scooter. Even in the best places in Atlanta to be without a car [Decatur or Midtown], it's still hard to rely just on public transit here. We are no NYC in that regard.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:46 AM

172 posts, read 393,788 times
For the record, I live downtown, don't own a car and and prefer to do my grocery shopping over at the Edgewood shopping center in Reynoldstown. It's horribly designed - which is also the case with pretty much every retail development in Midtown outside of the Publix near the 10th st. station - but has much more stuff in a concentrated place (Kroger, Lowe's, Ross, Best Buy, Target) than the Midtown spots.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:12 AM
tsd

17 posts, read 48,617 times
Quote:
Hi. I am a Native New Yorker (student) moving to Atlanta in August 2009. I DO NOT DRIVE AT ALL, so I am looking for an apartment where I can "survive" without having a car (meaning I need walking distance access to a grocery store, MARTA TRAIN station, etc.).

Are there any SPECIFIC apartment complexes people would recommend? Anything would be appreciated! My baseline rent range is up to $1,100.
absolutely nowhere. Dont let anyone else tell you otherwise.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:00 AM

184 posts, read 511,401 times
Definitely Midtown. $1100 can get you either a 1 bedroom or small studio at several places that are blocks away from Marta. There is a Publix in Plaza midtown at 8th and W Peachtree which is pretty close to places like Post Biltmore. There are restaurants all along Peachtree as well as pretty much any other store you would need.

Midtown would also make it very easy to take the GT-Emory shuttle: GT Parking & Transporation: Georgia Tech/Emory Shuttle Service

Old 07-19-2009, 09:04 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsd View Post
nativenewyorker123 - Ignore this garbage please.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:16 PM

217 posts, read 409,133 times
Quote:
Yeah, especially anyone like me, who's done it for years.

I lived in Atlanta mostly or entirely car-less for six years and I'll be moving back to town in a couple of months - still with no car - so I'm looking for the very same thing.

The area around Lindbergh Center Station would probably be good for you. It's about five miles from Emory. I can't remember the route number, but you can catch a bus there that will take you right to campus in about 20 minutes.

Uptown Square is literally right on top of Lindbergh Station.

Vista Lindbergh is at the intersection of Sidney Marcus and Piedmont, which is right across Piedmont Road from the station, just a little to the northeast. It's about a 10-minute walk. It's part of the redeveloped Lindberg Plaza which has a lot of restaurants and retail, including a Target and Home Depot. (Looks like they could stand to do some redevelopment on that web site, too, but you'll get the idea.) There's also a lot of retail and restaurants on the opposite side of Sidney Marcus.

The closest groceries from either of those two locations are the Publix in Peachtree Battle, the Kroger on Piedmont just north of Peachtree or the Publix on Lindbergh Drive. All three are bus-able or bike-able. I've been out of town for almost three years now, so there might be something new that's closer.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:13 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
Yeah, especially anyone like me, who's done it for years.

I lived in Atlanta mostly or entirely car-less for six years and I'll be moving back to town in a couple of months - still with no car - so I'm looking for the very same thing.

The area around Lindbergh Center Station would probably be good for you. It's about five miles from Emory. I can't remember the route number, but you can catch a bus there that will take you right to campus in about 20 minutes.

Uptown Square is literally right on top of Lindbergh Station.

Vista Lindbergh is at the intersection of Sidney Marcus and Piedmont, which is right across Piedmont Road from the station, just a little to the northeast. It's about a 10-minute walk. It's part of the redeveloped Lindberg Plaza which has a lot of restaurants and retail, including a Target and Home Depot. (Looks like they could stand to do some redevelopment on that web site, too, but you'll get the idea.) There's also a lot of retail and restaurants on the opposite side of Sidney Marcus.

The closest groceries from either of those two locations are the Publix in Peachtree Battle, the Kroger on Piedmont just north of Peachtree or the Publix on Lindbergh Drive. All three are bus-able or bike-able. I've been out of town for almost three years now, so there might be something new that's closer.
Just to bring you up to speed on Lindbergh Center...the development has definitely been hard-hit by the recession. Plans seem to have come to a screeching halt for virtually all future development, and the existing residential construction is either padlocked or up for auction. Common areas are neglected. It's going to be a while before this gets back on track.
The two supermarkets that you cite are not IMO walkable from Lindbergh Center, and even biking them would be pretty dicey on the very busy Lindbergh and Piedmont Rds.
The lack of a supermarket in the Lindbergh Center area is one of its Achilles' Heels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta