Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 06:39 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

Advertisements

Very nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 07:11 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Hi I'm located in Historic West End near Hopkins at West End Place. My street is extremely quiet with a park to the left and beltline to the right. The biggest problem in West End is car break ins per our last neigborhood meeting. You can view the latest crime stats on the Atlanta Police web site for zone 4 which is the zone that includes Hopkins and Langhorne. There are two major beautification projects that will take approximately a year to complete in progress for West End. Also West End will host Atlanta Street Alive festival in 2014. The area also was recently granted 18 Million to expand the Southwest portion of the beltline

Hopkins and Langhorne appears to be coming along, but West End is not for the faint of heart. It will take someone with patient to see its true beauty and help the area to be restored. For instance my street have had three houses that have being renovated, we all keep up our yards up and appears to be rubbing off on the neighbors also. West End have a certain aura and cultural uniqueness about it. I have great white and black neighbors. I invite you to come to our monthly neighborhood meetings at West End Library at 7 pm on the first Tuesday of each month. Also view the west end neighborhood like posted below. They are located in one the park near me.

West End Neighborhood Association | Atlanta West End

My open kitchen and living space below, pocket door with such character, loving the West End.

Absolutely beautiful...thanks for sharing.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:18 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,918 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...anta-home.html

Old 10-04-2013, 10:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
LOVE West End!! I still have friends in the area. I lived in an apartment near West End Park for about 3 years and it was and still is my preferred neighborhood to live in the city of Atlanta.

I wish the crooks in 2007 weren't trying to take advantage of me at the time as we would have bought a home over there. Sadly, the home we were looking to buy was still vacant last time I drove by it. They were trying to get us to borrow more than we wanted to borrow and to accept a sub-prime mortgage at the time.

But the neighborhood is great IMO. Lots of character and great people and more "real" IMO than other intown neighborhoods that get a lot of hype, very neighborly, friendly residents even kids at the park, lots of regular working class people with a mix of professionals and even working poor folks - all nice that I have met. I just feel it is more representative of society instead of being some sort of faux utopian neighborhood with only professionals and wealthy people who rarely go outside except to go for a jog.

And FWIW, I have never felt unsafe and I also lived over there in the late 90s for a spell and frequently walked to school through Morehouse to Clark Atlanta back when the projects lined Ashby and there were prostitutes galore on that street.

To gtcorndog, I would think you haven't been over there in a while. It is much much better than it used to be when I was a student and I still frequently go to West End because the park and library are some of my favorites in the city. I also go to West End Mall frequently and I like the mall. I do think it could use some renovations and a better grocery store and food court but I like that it is not super huge and I can get in and out quickly.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:19 AM

222 posts, read 243,115 times
Thank you for posting your opinions of the West End. My wife and I visited several open houses in the area over the weekend. I was actually surprised to see many of the streets in much better condition than i remember them being just a few years ago. Are there any neighborhood events or meetings in the next couple of weeks that you know of? thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: