Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:37 PM

34 posts, read 86,034 times

Advertisements

hello..any one have any pointers for managing being a fulltime parent, working full time and going to school full time? i am going back to school this fall and wanted to know if any one can give any advice on how the did these tasks and still stayed focus while in school..Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:08 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,893,802 times
No pointers. When I read claims that people simultaneously work full time and go to college full time, I'm skeptical. And parenting as well? How could there possibly be enough hours in the day?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:54 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,714,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
No pointers. When I read claims that people simultaneously work full time and go to college full time, I'm skeptical. And parenting as well? How could there possibly be enough hours in the day?
I do it (minus the parenting) ..Its not impossible. Hard as hell but surely not impossible but when you have a goal/plan to reach, you will keep on pushing.

All I can say to to the OP is make a plan and stick to it and make sure to have time to do your homework and study...It will be some long nights and weekends ahead...

Good luck...

Old 08-07-2009, 04:54 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
My advice to you is- drink heavily!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:30 AM

34 posts, read 86,034 times
lol..drink heavily..lol

Old 08-07-2009, 12:13 PM

426 posts, read 1,446,936 times
I am a professor and know of MANY students who do it. My recommendation is to have realistic expectations of yourself. You will not finish in the same amount of time it takes someone who does not have your other responsibilities. Do not expect that and you will not become frustrated when you can't do it. Take a very reasonable course load. It will take you a few more semesters, but it will be worth it because you will actually get something from your courses instead of just squeaking by with the bare minimum. And know that professors will not (nor should they) give you special consideration because of everything you are taking on. I have had a student who walked to school from the projects, a student with 10 children, and a student who was homeless. So as much as it will be tough to manage school, kids, and a job, know that plenty of other people have made it through much worse. A few years of late nights will pay off and you can do it!

Old 08-07-2009, 02:17 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,050,016 times
Many of us have done it (minus the parenting in my case too) and it certainly can be done, especially if your motivated to do well. You'll look back in 5 years and wonder how you did it but be thankful you went through with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I do it (minus the parenting) ..Its not impossible. Hard as hell but surely not impossible but when you have a goal/plan to reach, you will keep on pushing.

All I can say to to the OP is make a plan and stick to it and make sure to have time to do your homework and study...It will be some long nights and weekends ahead...

Good luck...

Old 08-07-2009, 02:34 PM

968 posts, read 2,619,288 times
To make this successful you must have good weekly planning skills. Ill-plans is a great way to crash and burn. I am guessing your work schedule is fixed or reasonably predictable. If this is the case, now you have to focus on study time, running errands, personal time, and other obligations. What helped me was to keep my schedule as consistent as possible by studying at the same times, shopping one day per week, and doing anything that minimized my time at a task (billpay, preparing re-heatable one pot meals, cleaning/laundry duties one day per week...or pay someone to do the latter).

So, spend some money to get a planner, bulletin/white-board, use Outlook, or even a regular notebook to keep track of what you need to accomplish by the end of the week. I updated my planner nightly to cross off completed tasks, carry forward incomplete tasks, or add unexpected duties.

I also reviewed my syllabus and pre-planned the entire semester in my planner. This is helpful to avoid missing minor deadlines, budget time for projects, and get ahead of schedule if desired.

My final recommendation is to group classes based on your work ethic. I could not take four paper-intensive classes in a quarter/semester. Having a good work-load balance is important. If you can preview class syllabus prior to registration, this should help in selecting classes based on your work-load desires.

Good Luck

Old 08-07-2009, 02:36 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,387,186 times
I did it. I just finished my PhD, work full time, and have a 3 year old daughter. I could not have managed except that 1. There were a lot of slow days at my job where I could work on my studies, and 2. My SO was very supportive and really helped out a lot around the house (grocery shopping, cooking, etc). It can be done, but it takes a heck of a lot of organization and planning.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:22 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,714,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Many of us have done it (minus the parenting in my case too) and it certainly can be done, especially if your motivated to do well. You'll look back in 5 years and wonder how you did it but be thankful you went through with it.
Well, I have 2 more years to go and I have enough gray hairs to show for it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: