Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 09:58 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times

Advertisements

This is like saying getting punched in the face 10 times isn't as bad as getting punched in the face 15 times. It may be true, but you're still being punched in the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 10:01 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
We have bad traffic, but are doing nothing outside of building HOT lanes, to provide people with an alternative; eg: expanded transit.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:56 AM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Well, I can't read the article because I'm not a subscriber.

And I'm sure it has real statistics that I can't argue with.

However, what I can say is that Atlanta is known around the country as a metro facing a horrible traffic problem. Perhaps even in some areas like LA or Chicago that have worse traffic...but the fact of the matter is, Atlanta has a REPUTATION for awful traffic. And there's really not much to quell that reputation among people who see it first hand.

I think articles like this (even though I can't see it) are counterproductive because they try to say that traffic isn't so bad. Yes, it is. Especially considering that Atlanta lacks the draws of areas like LA and New York, so one thing we can offer over them is better living. If it's just as much a hassle to live in Atlanta as it is to live in LA, why would anybody choose here over there?
Sounds like its typical stick your head in the sand Buckhead Chamber of Commerce stuff. These are the same people who pretended there was no cheating scandal in the APS.

Atlanta traffic can be bad any time of the day. And rush hours are long and awful. The reason Atlanta has a reputation for terrible traffic is that it does have terrible traffic.

Often the TTI report will be quoted which has Atlanta somewhere around its MSA's 9th place in total population. While that is probably a reasonably accurate measurement of what it measures, that doesn't mean that measurement tells you everything. It measures total delay from free flow traffic in the metro area. Here's what it doesn't measure:

1 the amount of delays you have in free flow traffic
2 the weak arterial system that means free flow isn't very fast
3 the differences in parts of the metro area

Atlanta's limited road network means delays in non-rush hour can be substantial. There are limited alternatives in much of the metro.

If it takes 50% longer in city A to get somewhere in free flow than city B, but in rush hour the delays are 200% in city A and 300% in city B, it still takes the same amount of time during rush hour in both cities. And with Atlanta's weak arterial and limited freeway system, free flow really isn't fast.

Traffic in parts of metro Atlanta isn't bad. I-85 west and I-20 west don't seem to have many delays when I head out that way. But north and northeast have world class traffic. And that is where the biggest employment centers are-from downtown through midtown to Buckhead to Perimeter Mall.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:08 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
I avoid the freeways and major intersections during rush hour, but honestly don't run into many traffic problems here in the ATL.

I'm no speed demon, however, and rarely drive over 25-30 mph on city streets. That seems plenty fast to me and it gets me to most destinations in ten minutes or less.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:17 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Don't you live in Buckhead?

Do you just not leave your house between 3 and 7pm?

Old 12-02-2015, 11:19 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,027 times
Lol

Old 12-02-2015, 11:21 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Traffic is the only thing that keep me from moving to Atlanta otherwise its the best city in the USA in my opinion, but I am happy in Nashville, I still love the ATL thats my second home.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:57 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
I dont remember the last time I have been in traffic. I live and work near MARTA so I don't have to drive in rush hour traffic.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:39 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
As someone moving down there soon, I hope you're right! As long as it's even just slightly better than Boston's traffic, I'll be satisfied.
For the most part, it is more than slightly better than Boston's traffic! But, Atlanta traffic does have it's moments...

Old 12-03-2015, 07:33 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,482 times
Traffic is horrible. You just have to be creative. For me, I'm able to work off peak hours. I work very early or mid-morning. How close I am to work is a big factor in where I choose to live; even in places other than the Atlanta metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta