Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:18 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times

Advertisements

Driver says GRTA is setting up Park and Rides, but everyone that uses CTran doesnt drive. Whats the point of a park n ride? Driver say Marta was out bidded by this GRTA company....so I guess Marta did try to step in....Everyone on the bus is grubbling about Clayton not wanting poor blacks in their county anymore.....Im new here man, but this seems like im in 1960 or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
SMH...

C-Tran has been run by Marta for months now. They took over from the old contractor (believe it was Veolia Transportation).

GRTA who runs the commuter busses around Metro Atlanta plus the park and rides tried to help C-Tran by supplement their service and taking over the busses. The FTA denied their application.

GRTA still plans to add another route to Atlanta to help but it does no good for most people because it won't do intercounty stops that is needed..

Old 03-20-2010, 10:15 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Driver says GRTA is setting up Park and Rides, but everyone that uses CTran doesnt drive.
Really? Everyone that uses the bus doesn't have a car?

Old 03-21-2010, 05:29 PM

217 posts, read 409,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I think he/she meant "not everyone who uses CTran drives."

Old 03-23-2010, 10:20 PM

63 posts, read 143,411 times
This C tran story is getting crazier and crazier. Going to keep a close eye on it..We are going to see how inhumane these clayton county commissioners are going to be.. I assure you they are trying to see how far they can go, but this one could cost them there jobs...I do have a strange feeling if it gets to the shut down stage its going to cause massive protest which is going to turn to a Civil right issue...

Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obanks View Post
I do have a strange feeling if it gets to the shut down stage its going to cause massive protest which is going to turn to a Civil right issue...
Well, it can't be a call of racism if that's the route some people feel to go, because the Clayton Commission is majority black. It could be considered a class issue however, as supposedly according to Bell, other commissioners have made comments about "getting the poor people out of Clayton", though it would be impossible to prove anyone said that.

That is a way to discourage the "carless" from moving to an area, though. I remember many years ago when CCT was pretty new in Cobb, the then-Mayor of Smyrna caught some flack when he had a number of the bus stops in his city limits removed. They also tend to flip-flop and change routes regularly and don't offer Sunday service some say, in an effort to reduce those who are carless from moving into the area. It is a controversial to say the least method, but does indeed discourage carless people from moving to an area. While it's obviously not a race issue in Clayton with the commissioners, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a class issue.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I said does not Drive, not owns an automobile.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obanks View Post
This C tran story is getting crazier and crazier. Going to keep a close eye on it..We are going to see how inhumane these clayton county commissioners are going to be.. I assure you they are trying to see how far they can go, but this one could cost them there jobs...I do have a strange feeling if it gets to the shut down stage its going to cause massive protest which is going to turn to a Civil right issue...
From my understanding people have already protested at all those meetings they were having. I have a car but now I gotta go through the hassle of getting a georgia tag, plus my car been sitting so long I need a new battery lol. Driving all the way to Doraville from Clayton is lame! I used to get to work for 1.50 and go home for 2$.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, it can't be a call of racism if that's the route some people feel to go, because the Clayton Commission is majority black. It could be considered a class issue however, as supposedly according to Bell, other commissioners have made comments about "getting the poor people out of Clayton", though it would be impossible to prove anyone said that.

That is a way to discourage the "carless" from moving to an area, though. I remember many years ago when CCT was pretty new in Cobb, the then-Mayor of Smyrna caught some flack when he had a number of the bus stops in his city limits removed. They also tend to flip-flop and change routes regularly and don't offer Sunday service some say, in an effort to reduce those who are carless from moving into the area. It is a controversial to say the least method, but does indeed discourage carless people from moving to an area. While it's obviously not a race issue in Clayton with the commissioners, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a class issue.
Yes, Class Action...Still falls under Civil rights because civil rights is more than white or black...Suprised no law suits have been filed yet...Should be right along with strong protest....Guess we will see what next week will hold when reality really sets in....They need to get some Civil rights leaders involved....

Old 03-24-2010, 12:50 PM

Whats crazy is if we were in New York, Chicago, DC, Philly, Boston, Los Angeles, Etc... We would not be having this conversation....Just sickning....Even Tennessee and North Carolina cares more for transit than Georgia.... Nashville has commuter rail...Cant get that here, you better sit in traffic and take xpress... the substute for commuter rail...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta