Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:26 PM

81 posts, read 266,667 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I change his clothes and wash his hands and face when he comes home from school. Doubt that it does any good,
A friend was advised by her pediatrician that giving her preschooler a bath and a change of clothes as soon as he got home from preschool would reduce his odds of getting ill. This was actually several years ago before the swine flu reared its ugly head. So according to that doctor it does help. I have had my kids wash hands as soon as they come in from school; I wash my own hands whenever I come home from the grocery store, etc. I've recently added to the routine having them change their shirts/tops as soon as they get home.

I've always been big on washing hands before eating, but I'm being extra careful now. Just today we went to Jillian's (well, now it's Dave and Buster's) and we ordered food while we were bowling. Once the food came I had the kids go wash hands, and then no one could bowl until they had finished eating. I didn't even want them touching bowling balls and other surfaces touched by others until they were done eating. Then, as soon as we got home, it was time for everyone to wash hands again. Of course, after bowling we had walked around and played games in the game area, so there sure was a need to wash hands upon getting home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 09:42 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,921,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightfromatown View Post
I agree, but I don't think most people are aware of the risks of the normal flu shot. I always assumed that the worst case would be that it gave you the flu, but it can have some devastating effects:

YouTube - Swine Flue shot is a killer Cheerleader Gets A Swine Flu Shot Now She Can Only Walk Backwards!

I seriously almost removed the post/video link above, because of one thing - it was altered. But since I'm going to assume the poster is not the one who altered it, I'll let it ride, but will clear up one very important thing in it...

About 3/4 of the way through they say what SOUNDS like, "Doctors say what happened to her should discourage people from getting the flu shot". In reality, you can hear the dubbing where they turned SHOULD NOT into "should", completely twisting the message into a propaganda piece that got posted on youtube. So, to clear it up, doctors say that what happened to the girl SHOULD NOT discourage people - not should. She is a one in a million case - you run the same risk from taking tainted Tylenol, than you have in having a repeat of her reaction.

A lot of this is still stemming from fears from the 70s when a number of people contracted Guillain-Barre Syndrome from that version of the Swine Flu Shot (out of 40 million who were vaccinated), so the shots were scrapped. This Swine flu shot does have variations in ingredients over that older version and was tested with more modern equipment. Still, they are monitoring for any signs of problems with it, and so far, nothing beyond normal mild reactions have been reported, as can be read HERE.

I'm not telling anyone they should or should not get the vaccine. Somewhere down the line I'm sure there WILL be a handful of cases of people who have complications from it, but I just want folks to realize also that there's a lot of hype and drama going on about it, too. It's up to you to decide if the low risk is worth the potential benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta