Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 03:19 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
A lot of the driving energy in the Atlanta metro has historically been the real estate market.

If the OP just arrived here two years ago, they've only seen Atlanta during the current slowdown where many things in that area are relatively stagnant (or perhaps more accurately put: "totally dead", at least compared to the constant development madness that used to be seen all over the place down here).
Very good point...it's always been very exciting to see new buildings going up in Atlanta. There have been a couple of new ones in the last 2 years, but not nearly as many as in previous years. Look back at 1990-1992...BOA, Suntrust, 191 Peachtree, Promenade, Four Seasons, 1100 Peachtree, Mayfair, Grandview, The Oaks, Westin, and Grand Hyatt in Buckhead, Georgian Terrace, and several others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 04:07 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnStone View Post
It's hard to describe the energy that is missing here, but I believe it has to do with the fact that Atlanta really lacks a "culture" (which will come in time, but a city can't invent a culture overnight). When I say culture, I mean character and personality, not cultural attractions. Some of it is the fact that the city is sprawled out, some of it is due to the fact that hardly anyone (especially intown) is really from Atlanta, and some of it has to do with the fact that there isnt a really "happening" central area. There is no identifying bond amongst the people. You could say that is true with any large city, but having also lived in Chicago, I can tell you that isnt the case. People from all walks of life mesh everyday as Chicagoans. They share a pride there that Atlanta lacks and makes it especially hard for transplants to adjust.

With regard to my Knoxville comparison, while it does have a college, it also has around 600,000 other residents, so it doesnt have anything to do with that. It doesn't have the wealth or large corporation that Atlanta has, but there is a passion for the city among the residents that is sort of inspiring. That comes from generations of familes staying in the same city and developing a culture (whether you like the Tn culture is another thing, but you cant deny that it is unique).

Having said all that, there are many unique spots in Atlanta. As the public transport gets better and more people move in town, Atlanta is going to get better and better. Inman park, Virginia Highlands, Piedmont park and Decatur are all great places. For now I feel the city is just stuck in a transition period.
I find myself basically sympathetic to what you're saying, elusive though this je ne sais quoi may be that Atlanta (arguably) lacks that older and more established cities have. Maybe it doesn't lack it, but just hasn't been able to put it on display yet properly (which does mean it lacks it, one one sense). And maybe what Atlanta has needed is the right 'stage setting' to put it on display. Underground was one stab they took at it, which failed. Maybe the "Midtown Mile" is the next incarnation of that. So hopefully it will fare better. Far too early to tell now.

One city of similar size and makeup that I think has probably achieved much of what Atlanta would like to is DC, and though I haven't been there for years I hear the intown neighbordhoods are hives of activity esp near the Metro stations. If Atlanta continues to grow and establish more - the dreaded word - density in town, then who knows, we might see a level of street buzz here in another 10 years that still seems elusive now.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:56 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
It's hard to describe the energy that is missing here, but I believe it has to do with the fact that Atlanta really lacks a "culture" (which will come in time, but a city can't invent a culture overnight).

When I say culture, I mean character and personality, not cultural attractions. Some of it is the fact that the city is sprawled out, some of it is due to the fact that hardly anyone (especially intown) is really from Atlanta, and some of it has to do with the fact that there isnt a really "happening" central area. There is no identifying bond amongst the people.
Like others have already said on this thread, Atlanta isn't a new place. It's been a boomtown for 150 years. To be more exact, it's a city in constant flux since it's one of the major crossroads of the continent. We may not have an Ellis Island, but what we do have are millions of people passing through this city every year.

This creates, in my view, a culture that embraces the new and doesn't stick to anything old for far too long. What the latest rage is, Atlanta is sure to pick it up or even start it. It comes with some many people and ideas flowing through the city. He77, even our weather doesn't stay the same for very long. Just wait 15 minutes and it's different

Aside from that though, Atlanta does have a culture. However, unlike most cities no one culture dominates. The most prominent groups that make up the city's fabric though are the LBGT community and Black Urban professionals. Generally people from outside these groups don't know much about their communities, so if you are coming from small town like Knoxville you might not be aware to see them as such.

As far as other cultures go, they are far from shut out. You'll find here large communities of hipsters, hippies, bohemians, Old money, musicians, and several dozen other subcultures.

You could say that is true with any large city, but having also lived in Chicago, I can tell you that isnt the case. People from all walks of life mesh everyday as Chicagoans. They share a pride there that Atlanta lacks and makes it especially hard for transplants to adjust.

Quote:
With regard to my Knoxville comparison, while it does have a college, it also has around 600,000 other residents, so it doesnt have anything to do with that. It doesn't have the wealth or large corporation that Atlanta has, but there is a passion for the city among the residents that is sort of inspiring. That comes from generations of familes staying in the same city and developing a culture (whether you like the Tn culture is another thing, but you cant deny that it is unique)

Having said all that, there are many unique spots in Atlanta. As the public transport gets better and more people move in town, Atlanta is going to get better and better. Inman park, Virginia Highlands, Piedmont park and Decatur are all great places. For now I feel the city is just stuck in a transition period

LOL, if there is one thing Atlanta isn't short of it's civic pride.

Honestly, it just sounds like you haven't spent a lot of time in Atlanta to see what it's all about. Someone on these boards made a comment once that "Atlanta reveals itself to you over time" which is so true! It's the complete opposite of places like Chicago or New York City that just beat you on the head with their particular city's culture. Here, our code is "it is what it is."

Old 11-17-2009, 06:01 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
I love Atlanta but agree about it lacking energy. I was riding through Poncey-Highland, and it struck me that the group of 4 kids I saw walking outside at night was an odd sight at just 11:30 or so at night, as they were the only group of non-bums on the street I saw in much of the area. And this is one of the more vibrant "urban" neighborhoods. In other cities, on the other hand, it would be odd for the opposite to happen, for it to be around at 11:30 and not see a ton of people.

It does not lack character at all, I can find just as much character here as in other major cities. But energy it is lacking. If there is one thing I could change about Atlanta, it's the significantly lower level of outdoor, street-level hustle and bustle on regular days in the urban core.
Bizchick, I just first want to say that I enjoy your posts and the witty intelligence of your writing. With that said, please excuse me while I commence in a little ribbing.

Per the portion highlighted above:

You can't complain about the solution when you are part of the problem

It's not that Atlanta isn't walkable, it's just that too many people don't walk a lot for whatever reason.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:21 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
As far as other cultures go, they are far from shut out. You'll find here large communities of hipsters, hippies, bohemians, Old money, musicians, and several dozen other subcultures.
Excellent point! I agree 100%. And don't forget that in Atlanta transplanted Northerners -- esp. those from former Rust Belt areas like Buffalo, Cleveland, etc. -- arguably make up Atlanta's most characteristic subgroup, at least in the more affluent northern burbs.

Quote:
Someone on these boards made a comment once that "Atlanta reveals itself to you over time" which is so true! It's the complete opposite of places like Chicago or New York City that just beat you on the head with their particular city's culture. Here, our code is "it is what it is."
Interesting observation. Reminds me of the Conde Naste article on Atlanta which said, rather condescendingly, something to the effect that despite lacking "the grandeur" of cities like NY and Chicago maybe Atlanta will still turn out to be not uninteresting.

But to disagree with you slightly, I think that if there's anything Atlanta is NOT it's a "it is what it is" city. Atlanta is the diametrical opposite of that, with its adolescent insecurity and endless striving. Am I right?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,785 times
Quote:
Bizchick, I just first want to say that I enjoy your posts and the witty intelligence of your writing. With that said, please excuse me while I commence in a little ribbing.

Per the portion highlighted above:

You can't complain about the solution when you are part of the problem

It's not that Atlanta isn't walkable, it's just that too many people don't walk a lot for whatever reason.
Well thank you, and understood and duly noted. Unfortunately, as a grad student fresh out of school, intown is not in my budget. But please believe in an instant I would unload this car and live intown if I could. I do so much stuff in the city, it's become a burden and I hate having to drive out to the burbs at night all the time. But it's one I have to bear until I have the means.

Shoot, but if I lived in the city, y'all couldn't pay me enough to stay inside. I'd probably be mistaken for the drill master dude who prances up and down Peachtree (where is he btw? haven't seen him for a while) cuz I would be too thrilled, lol.

I think this is the reality in Atlanta because only 10% of our metro population actually lives in the city and often for financial reasons. Without the demand of an enormous population, there are fewer amenities (like neighborhood grocery stores, late night restaurants/bars) serving city dwellers than other big "24 hour" cities, and they close earlier, hence less people walking to and from these places. It's all a process, and it's only reasonable to think that whenever the city pop. picks up, so will the walking activity.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:31 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Shoot, but if I lived in the city, y'all couldn't pay me enough to stay inside. I'd probably be mistaken for the drill master dude who prances up and down Peachtree (where is he btw? haven't seen him for a while) cuz I would be too thrilled, lol.

LOL! That would be Baton Bob, bizchick86!

The last time I saw him was marching front and center at the beginning of the Pride Parade.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:06 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
I know, I can't wait to move intown.

From work, school and church, the 500-600 miles, I put on my car a week is becoming tiresome...

I've had my new car for 3 months and some change and I've already done 6300 miles.....

Old 11-18-2009, 01:05 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
LOL! That would be Baton Bob, bizchick86!

The last time I saw him was marching front and center at the beginning of the Pride Parade.
Ahh yes, how could I have forgotten that name :-). Seeing his little white boots with the pom poms, tutu, and fanny pack just bring tears of joy to my eyes, like a beacon of light welcoming back to my home. Oh the poetry of Baton Bob.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:07 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
I moved here from another southern city (Knoxville, TN) about 2 years ago and I really didn't like Atlanta for the first bit. It is very sprawled out and there isn't a "vibe" here (there is an unidentifyable lack of energy here, even compared to Knoxville, TN). Then I realized that I moved to Atlanta in an extremely transitional period. The Atlanta that we see now is very different from the Atlanta I used to visit as child in the late 80s and 90s. It will be very different in 10 more years. In the two years I have lived here midtown has gotten much better, Inman park village and west midtown have really started blossoming. Some of the beltline ideas are starting to happen (4th ward park) and will continue to improve the area. The infastructure was so bad that it will take decades to fix, but as the city crawls its way toward these goals I can start to appreciate the city that Atlanta is going to be. Atlanta doesnt have the old architure of NYC, Boston or Philadelphia, but it will become a world class, modern city in the next 20 yrs just based on geography. While DC has the advantage of all the Government buildings that Atlanta does not, the way that the rail system in DC has transformed the surrounding areas should be a model for Atlanta.
What? No.

A signature feature of Atlanta is its "energy."

I could sit here and write a lot about Atlanta's unique and seductive energy. However, I think Anne Rivers Siddons said it perfectly through the character Shep Bondurant in her book Peachtree Road:

[Shep remarking to his cousin Lucy about how he felt about Atlanta]

"It's passionless, calculating, self-satisfied, intolerant, insensitive, uncultivated, vulgar, even soulless...but, it's alive! God, Lucy, the energy in this town! And it's just so beautiful, parts of it..."

Yep--bold, brazen, haphazard, vulgar...and beautiful Atlanta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta