Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:24 PM

651 posts, read 1,562,177 times

Advertisements

Any Log-cabin/Vacation/Hunting cabins/homes(lots) within 1hr drive of Atlanta? ($10k to $30k)?

I'm not talking about anything fancy.. Something for a 1day weekend get-away every now and then..I prefer to OWN myself. with some low yearly property taxes. (like the pic above)

Is there anything within a 1 or 2hour drive of Atlanta? around $10,000 to $30,000 with a descent lot. (hopefully 1 to 2 acres). (maybe up to $50k)

I would prefer
1. hunting safe/gun friendly county. ( i would love an outdoor range on property)
2. low property taxes
3. sewer not requried, but would be nice, but septic is fine.
4. in $10k to $30k price range
5. would prefer in GA, but ill consider AL locations
6. nice flat lot, where i can ride my 4wheelers on.
7. no HOA fees, etc.

Thanks
Any links, ideals, comments, websites, pm's, relator contacts recommended.

I know these pics are really pushing the budget, but would be NICE..

http://www.kmcontractorsinc.com/log-cabins/bob-graves-log-cabin-front.jpg (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:59 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
I was reading about vacation foreclosures in the Sunday AJC real estate section. They were still way over the prices you are looking for. Even empty lots were $85,000, but those were lakefront. I was surprised prices were still very high.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 18,144 times
Okay I don't know about any that cheap. What I would do is put in your web browser cabin for sale Ga.
I was looking last week and lots of stuff was coming up. I was looking at a little higher price range but, if it is out there I am sure you can find it that way.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:28 AM

i can buy investor homes in atlanta for $25k to 50k, why not vacation homes?

Old 12-05-2009, 07:54 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post
i can buy investor homes in atlanta for $25k to 50k, why not vacation homes?
Believe it or not, north Georgia is not hurting like the Atlanta metro is. Not as much overbuilding and land is still a premium. Yes, there are foreclosures in N.GA but most are due to the Jones's not being able to keep up on their debt any longer, plus most of those are north of 300K.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I was reading about vacation foreclosures in the Sunday AJC real estate section. They were still way over the prices you are looking for. Even empty lots were $85,000, but those were lakefront. I was surprised prices were still very high.

yeah, thats what made me wonder

Old 12-06-2009, 07:49 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
[quote=ehoez;11861038]

Any Log-cabin/Vacation/Hunting cabins/homes(lots) within 1hr drive of Atlanta? ($10k to $30k)?

I'm not talking about anything fancy.. Something for a 1day weekend get-away every now and then..I prefer to OWN myself. with some low yearly property taxes. (like the pic above)

Is there anything within a 1 or 2hour drive of Atlanta? around $10,000 to $30,000 with a descent lot. (hopefully 1 to 2 acres). (maybe up to $50k)

I would prefer
1. hunting safe/gun friendly county. ( i would love an outdoor range on property)
2. low property taxes
3. sewer not requried, but would be nice, but septic is fine.
4. in $10k to $30k price range
5. would prefer in GA, but ill consider AL locations
6. nice flat lot, where i can ride my 4wheelers on.
7. no HOA fees, etc.

Thanks
Any links, ideals, comments, websites, pm's, relator contacts recommended.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's not there anymore and I probably shouldn't tell you what a wonderful place it was--but there was a 'perfect' 1920's log cabin--in Flowery Branch about 4 years ago--I called- a professor at Emory owned it. I went back a couple of years ago--and this will be painful--it had been 'removed'---I hope not torn down by a bull dozer--but a NEW, MC Mansion type home was there.

Flowery Branch is one of the 'hidden treasures' north of Atlanta. I would love to move there. There 'were' some old 30's houses for sale that could have renovated into really wonderful homes. I couldn't do something like that but anyone who can---try to get out there before it is developed. jmo.

Around Oakwood, Gainesville and Commerce, Toccoa you can look for some gems. Hartwell, GA is one of the 'best' small towns in GA--lol--I have an artist friend there--and her DH designed a Savannah style house before he died. They were from Savannah--and it is sigh--The House of My Dreams--but this woman is so incredible that I am glad she has such a home.

The mountains around Toccoa are absolutely all that anyone could ask for and Toccoa is a great small town. I'd look in that area. More than an hour --maybe 1 and a half or 2 depending on traffic and your driving skills. LOL--I have to drive defensively--some are 'fearless' and fly like the wind in that area. LOL. I would be dead already if I went over the speed limit. Just that sort of 'luck'. <shaking my head--cars>

Old 12-07-2009, 06:20 PM

9 posts, read 50,822 times
Try Wyoming

Old 12-08-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRIGHT View Post
Try Wyoming
???I'm certain Wyoming is 'good' but wouldn't this poster have commuting problems if he/she wants to be within an hour of ATL?

Just teasing you a bit--I like to do that sometimes, PWRIGHT.

There's a lot of what this poster wants available north of Atlanta. He/she will need to start looking --in every way --drive through North GA--east and west, search online or lol--Call a Realtor, right, George Cong--there are a few that really know their JOBS. I always like that in anyone. FWIW.

The poster might search the Cartersville area---and up to Chattanooga--lots of options. That is ATL---many alternatives and you have to be persistent to 'get what you want'--Atlanta has not been Disneyworld/Magic Kingdom,ever, as some seem to 'have heard'--but a wonderful place to live and generally if you Know What You Want and are Determined--You Can Get It Here. Maybe ATL is like 'Burger King'--'You Can Have What You Want'?

LOL--I really don't know what to think of Those who don't 'like' Atlanta, being a Native. But I would have to write a dissertation on that--just start really searching, OP. That would be all I know to tell you.

atlantagreg, one of the Mods, would be a good resource to contact. Click the Moderator list in the Admin Forum and send atlantagreg a DM.

He knows 'a lot'--the area around Chattanooga might be your best bet, jmo.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:31 AM

Actually OP, you might consider NC--but that is more than an hour from Atlanta.

A bit more FYI on Cartersville/Bartow County--a place to start--Red Top Mt, Silver Comet Trail and access to the Smoky Mts--I'd start looking at that area. About an hour from Atlanta--I75--just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta