Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 02:18 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,553,250 times

Advertisements

Back in June I had some deadbeat tenants I didn't do a background check for. The eviction process took until August. This was settled in mediation and I hoped o never hear form them again.

But, the 1st for this month and this morning they have called me. And they left a voicemail message about a check form UPs they were supposed to get. Keep in mind I evicted them in August.

I suspect they may have not changed their address completely and let their debts go to the rental.

Now they are talking about coming over to my mom's house about the "UPS check".

Is there any way I can summon debt collectors?
Please. For Dekalb Medical, Grady, Comcast, and possibly any hospital in 30030 or 30032. Because I know they owe over 20,000 in medical debts. I need them.

Or is there any way I can give them the new numbers for these people? I am tired of being called by them 3 months after I evicted them. I don't want to have to change my phone number for this.

I feel that it is wrong these people are using my rental for a mailing address for so long, but dodging debt wherever it comes from. And now they want to call me out of the blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 02:33 PM

184 posts, read 511,644 times
just change your number, much easier than dealing with all the companies they have screwed over. In the future get a separate number that they don't have access to for all your stuff

Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 PM

Due to the eviction process, they have my mother's address. They plan to hitch a ride there at some point. I can't change where my mother lives. Summoning the bill collectors is easier than moving my mom.

One is a felon just out of prison this year. I need bill collectors.

Besides, the number they are calling is the one I give out to tenants and I just renewed the contract.

Besides, these tenants love dodging responsibility. And Responsibility is what they should be faced with for calling me from 2 different numbers at 9:36 in the morning. Contacting debt collectors about this would be utterly righteous.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,051,309 times
Not sure if I follow completely but read a good book on landlording, I'd suggest Landlording by Leigh Robinson. Tell the tenant any mail or checks were returned to UPS and/or the USPS. That should be the end of it.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Not sure if I follow completely but read a good book on landlording, I'd suggest Landlording by Leigh Robinson. Tell the tenant any mail or checks were returned to UPS and/or the USPS. That should be the end of it.

I called the number back and it went straight to voicemail(11:56AM).

I've been trying to sell the house and haven't seen the mailbox anything but empty. I didn't even know he had a job. Well, I did but since he slept all day I thought it was a lie. I would have garnished it if it was real.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:56 PM

As a landlord you can't be in the business of getting back at tenants, you did what the law allowed, move on learn from it and screen screen screen. If your a landlord you know you could get calls at all hours. Since your through with them and considering the situation I'd either not talk to them anymore or talk to them once and advise them you return all mail to the senders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
Due to the eviction process, they have my mother's address. They plan to hitch a ride there at some point. I can't change where my mother lives. Summoning the bill collectors is easier than moving my mom.

One is a felon just out of prison this year. I need bill collectors.

Besides, the number they are calling is the one I give out to tenants and I just renewed the contract.

Besides, these tenants love dodging responsibility. And Responsibility is what they should be faced with for calling me from 2 different numbers at 9:36 in the morning. Contacting debt collectors about this would be utterly righteous.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:00 PM

And if they show up at my mother's house?

It's not the time they called that bothers me. It's the fact that they retained my number for an unreasonable amount of time after eviction. That and saying they will get someone to give them a ride to my mother's house.

And personally, I just don't want to be bothered with them. This is not normal or decent behavior. I deleted their numbers by the time they left the house in August. I should not get December calls. I can still take them to small claims court for damages to the house.

And if I can get debt collectors to call them so much that they attach calling my number to debt collectors? I'd be fine.

Last edited by Java378; 12-07-2009 at 03:23 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 06:34 PM

Nothing personal but if that bothers you then being a landlord may not be your thing. I've retained phone numbers for prior tenants that haven't been renting from me for years. Heck, you should even keep applications including phone numbers for those that you declined as well. Any landlord should keep their files as long as they can because you never know what may come up and while most tenants do not you can't fault them for keeping your number.

I agree I wouldn't be happy that they are saying they are going to come to your mothers house but they may be just trying to get your attention, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
And if they show up at my mother's house?

It's not the time they called that bothers me. It's the fact that they retained my number for an unreasonable amount of time after eviction. That and saying they will get someone to give them a ride to my mother's house.

And personally, I just don't want to be bothered with them. This is not normal or decent behavior. I deleted their numbers by the time they left the house in August. I should not get December calls. I can still take them to small claims court for damages to the house.

And if I can get debt collectors to call them so much that they attach calling my number to debt collectors? I'd be fine.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:54 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,149,181 times
You seem especially hateful toward these prior tenants, and I can't help but wonder why. I've had my address changed and STILL had some bills come to my old address. Then, a month later, they end up forwarded.

They're bugging you because they want their money! Why not just have the check forwarded or "returned to sender"?

I would have kept your number because I would have to provide info for the last 5 years on where I lived, if I want a new place to live. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

This is why you do background checks.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:36 PM

I want my money too. They didn't pay rent for three months. That's why I took them to court. If they show up again with problems, I'll give them problems right back in the form of small claims court. And in case you haven't noticed, I don't have the check. I haven't been checking the mail.

But, I sure don't want a felon showing up at my mother's house.

My father has rented to people for years(at least 10) and we have never had a case like this.

If they wanted attention, they should show up at the rental which they left in bad shape(and I had to clean up). Or better yet, my office that is also in the area. Land lording is for me as long as miscreants stay out of my path and don't get personal. There is a process to address complain, but for all means I am not paid enough by them ($0) to even be concerned with their problems.

But, when you call out of the blue because you didn't take the time to change your address in a responsible time period and call me talking about some missing check in December and I had a bad experience with you in August, that is when you cross the line with me. I'm trying to sell three houses and I don't need anyone tlaking about approaching my family's house. That is not how they received an application and that is not how they go about meeting me and they know it.

BTW, while you may think I'm out of line, their debts are part of why Grady and other hospitals are in fiscal danger.

I may drop this since they haven't called me since this morning, but if bothered with this nonsense again during this month I may just contact Comcast and those responsible for such.

This isn't about me getting back, this is about them leaving my family alone. I don't have time to go to my mother's to make sure these idiots who call and leave their phones off or don't pay their phone bills don't show up. I have other tenants to deal with. Tenants who actually pay money. Now, if there was money paid to me in a due manner, I'd be happy to hear from a former tenant out of the blue. But, these people played rotten for the three months they were there.

Last edited by Java378; 12-07-2009 at 07:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta