Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:56 PM

31 posts, read 180,378 times

Advertisements

When I was in Florida I paid $60 a year for good garbage service. Only one company for the entire city.

I was surprised to move here and have a garbage truck flying down my street (25mph) almost every day. One truck speeds down the street, whips the truck around, and picks up ONE GARBAGE CAN, then jets out of the subdivision. Of course I'm paying more, about four times more. Instead of $60 a year, I have to pay $60 every 3 months.

All these garbage trucks don't help Atlanta's "clean air" laws either. So why in the world are there so many?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 01:37 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
The large number of unincorporated areas and competition.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:24 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDesign View Post
When I was in Florida I paid $60 a year for good garbage service. Only one company for the entire city.

I was surprised to move here and have a garbage truck flying down my street (25mph) almost every day. One truck speeds down the street, whips the truck around, and picks up ONE GARBAGE CAN, then jets out of the subdivision. Of course I'm paying more, about four times more. Instead of $60 a year, I have to pay $60 every 3 months.

All these garbage trucks don't help Atlanta's "clean air" laws either. So why in the world are there so many?
Do you happen to live in Gwinnett County? If, so, I will tell you a story...haha

Old 12-17-2009, 02:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Because many municipalities provide garbage pickup as part of the city services and contract out to a single provider. Cities in GA do the same. As was mentioned, in unincorporated areas there is no such service and no such contract.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:42 PM

31 posts, read 180,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Do you happen to live in Gwinnett County? If, so, I will tell you a story...haha
Exactly, Norcross.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:03 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
We had the same "problem" in our neighborhood. It was brought to the attention of the HOA several years ago in a form of "we need to do something about this before someone..."

After a plan was conceived (who would give the best rate for full service if we guaranteed the whole subdivision to them), and contacting the three different services that service our subdivision- we now pay less than our neighboring subdivisions on a per house basis and have less wear and tear on our streets along with less traffic. The cost is divided among the total number of homes and is added to the yearly HOA dues.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:44 PM

184 posts, read 511,350 times
Quote:
It depends on what city you are in but I'd just like to point out that you were likely subsidizing the garbage service through sales taxes and were actually paying much more than $60/year without realizing it.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:45 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,179 times
Quote:
Exactly, Norcross.
Well I'm not sure if you know the story, but there was a huge push by Gwinnett County with Gwinnett Clean and Beautiful, to consolidate all the garbage service to I believe 3 trash haulers. Well that was going to happen, it was going to make everyone recycle, and it would consolidate the amount of traffic on the streets. The trash haulers who were excluded, sued, because of the way that the project was bid out. Now this issue is still in court, it has yet to be resolved. I'm sure that the resolution will be something close to what was originally conceived, just less strict and with more haulers. We shall see how that goes...It has been such a debaucle!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
I didn't know about the Gwinnett situation. How interesting.

I live in unincorporated Cobb, in a non-HOA subdivision. Hence we have garbage trucks rumbling about every weekday. It's so environmentally unfriendly. However, I fear my neighbors are unlikely to care about that. We're the only house on our street that puts out a recycling box. I walk my dogs every evening, so I get to see all the garbage out at the curb, and there are very few recycling boxes in use in the entire area, and those few are of course spread among several garbage haulers. This probably makes our recycling efforts a net environmental detriment, due to the immense fuel usage to pick up our pathetically few recyclables.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:45 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
The large number of unincorporated areas and competition.
I honestly don't get why there are so many "unincorporated" areas here. In my home state of Michigan, anything that's not part of a city or village is incorporated as a township. All Midwestern and Northeastern states have them, and they exist to provide municipal services without the higher taxes/overhead of a city. They also take some pressure off the county government. Townships would really benefit GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta