Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 11:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klc05e View Post
Hi! About a year ago I graduated from college in Texas and moved back home (Suwanee) with my parents. I am getting my MBA at GSU and work in Midtown, so I definitely need a place closer to Atlanta! I have been really interested in the Poncey Highland area or there abouts, but I'm not picky. I am tired of finding places where the websites are amazing and the place looks great, but then the reviews (on places like apartmentratings.com) are terrible. So I was hoping to get some insight here...

I have a dog, Italian Greyhound, about 20lbs. Also, being a single female, the most important thing to me is feeling safe. I understand that Atlanta is a huge city and crime is bound to happen, and I'm not wanting to be able to walk the streets at night or anything like that, I just want to feel safe in my "home"
You may wish to contact promove.com, which is a service many on here have used and say are very good at finding people apartments (no charge to the person looking).

Also, regarding safety - once you find a place in a decent neighborhood, make sure you take steps yourself to be safe. Have a monitored security system in your apartment. Keep doors/windows locked. Install 3-4" screws into the lock plates and hinges of your doors to make them much harder to pry open/kick in, etc. Standard stuff no matter where you live, but many people don't do it, and it will add to your safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 6,440 times
Hello, I'm a single mother of 5 planning on relocating to Fulton county ga. Does anyone have any idea of the average section 8 voucher amount for a 4 bedroom. I am tranferring from columbus and I'm really ready for a change. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-20-2011, 10:37 AM

83 posts, read 149,608 times
Default Suggestions?

I'm considering relocating to Atlanta, so I'm trying to do research. I am a single mother with a daughter and I would like a child friendly area and somewhere that I don't feel the need to look over my shoulder for everything. And as silly as it may sound, I would like to be near a Target/Walmart (don't judge me) and grocery of course. I'll be down at the end of the summer to visit/tour, but I'm trying to get an idea of where to even start before I come down. I was looking at Smyrna/Vinnings area. And I have a friend who lives in West Highland (I think that's it)? She said is suburban but still in the city. Here are my answers to the original post.

1. Budget - $900 max for rent (the whole point is to save money)
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - apartment for now
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - commute to downtown, but would like it not to really exceed 30 minutes if that's possible.
4. Children(public school vs. private) - want public, but she's in daycare now
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - prefer suburban, not rural...I'm from PG County MD (suburb of DC)
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - mixture. I appreciate diversity

Old 06-20-2011, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,120 times
Default Info on Smryna/Vinings

Hello MissSimplicity,

I lived in Vinings for 6 years (and just moved over to Dunwoody within the last year). I'd recommend putting Vinings on your tour list when you visit, as it sounds like what you may be looking for. To reply to each item:

1. Budget - you should be able to get a decent two bedroom under $900. If you can fit into a 1 bedroom, you could probably be in the $750 range. You'll learn there is a difference in 'Vinings' and 'Smyrna', although they are often combined (much to the chagrin of those in Vinings)! ;-) The closer you are to true 'Vinings', the higher the rent creeps up. But, overall expect $750 - $900 and the apartments are nice in that price range.
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - apartment for now - plenty of apartments in the area.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - commute to downtown, but would like it not to really exceed 30 minutes if that's possible. You'll be right at the 30 minute mark. I worked downtown (in the 5 Points area) for 2 years when I lived in Vinings. On a good day, you can do it in 20 minutes, but 30 is more likely the daily average.
4. Children(public school vs. private) - shouldn't be a problem
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - this is a good mix of the two - you're literally 10 minutes from Atlanta proper (Buckhead area), but far enough that you get nice tree lined vistas. Honestly, one of the best views of Atlanta is from the Vinings area - you see a mass of trees and then the panorama of Atlanta (the entire city from Buckhead to downtown). I enjoyed seeing the city from Vinings.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - mixture. I appreciate diversity. Smyrna/Vinings is mixed, but leans a little 'white'. Vinings is also fairly 'young' - lots of the young professionals (late 20s, early 30s) like the area. So, my advice is to check out the apartments thoroughly, you could end up near the 'party' mentality - ie all of the 25 - 30 year olds that haven't let go of the college years - I experienced this with one of my neighbors for a short time. Obviously, this could be problem anywhere you rent, but with a small child, you probably don't want party/bass slamming through the walls every Friday at 3 AM. Don't let that scare you away, in the 6 years I lived there, it was only one set of neighbors that were bad, so I figure those were pretty good odds - I had similar neighbors in other areas, too.

I'm still renting and moved to Dunwoody for commute reasons (got a job in Alpharetta and wanted a short(er) commute). When I'm ready to buy, Vinings will be on my list of places to look. I miss the area.

That said, do look at other neighborhoods as well. As far as the Highlands, it's not very suburban - it's in the middle of the city. It's a nice area, but hard to compare to Vinings, which is a good mix, but I consider the Highlands urban. A simple comparison: when I lived in Vinings, having friends over was no problem - plenty of parking. I have a friend that living in the Highlands and there was only street parking. He had problems finding a parking space daily - having friends over was always a nightmare (but that's a problem with a lot of in-town locations).

Well, good luck! As you can see, I'm a Vinings advocate, but I do love all of Atlanta. Another area that you could check out: the Briarcliff/Emory area. I can't quote rents (I lived there about 9 years ago, so I'm sure it has changed), but it is also a great mix of suburban/urban and very mixed when it comes demographics.

-Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by missimplicity View Post
I'm considering relocating to Atlanta, so I'm trying to do research. I am a single mother with a daughter and I would like a child friendly area and somewhere that I don't feel the need to look over my shoulder for everything. And as silly as it may sound, I would like to be near a Target/Walmart (don't judge me) and grocery of course. I'll be down at the end of the summer to visit/tour, but I'm trying to get an idea of where to even start before I come down. I was looking at Smyrna/Vinnings area. And I have a friend who lives in West Highland (I think that's it)? She said is suburban but still in the city. Here are my answers to the original post.

1. Budget - $900 max for rent (the whole point is to save money)
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - apartment for now
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - commute to downtown, but would like it not to really exceed 30 minutes if that's possible.
4. Children(public school vs. private) - want public, but she's in daycare now
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - prefer suburban, not rural...I'm from PG County MD (suburb of DC)
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - mixture. I appreciate diversity

Old 06-20-2011, 07:01 PM

83 posts, read 149,608 times
Bryan, thank you so much for your helpful responses. I'm in my late 20's and while I appreciate the young life, you're right, we do go to be fairly early on weekends. I will also look into Briarcliff/Emory. Living where I live, there isn't much that scares me...except the crime scene tape in my parking lot. I'm looking forward to this change.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:47 AM

7 posts, read 14,933 times
Smile Looking to move to Atlanta from Silver Spring, MD before January

Budget: $900-1,500 monthly
2. House/Condo/Townhome? I'd like to initially rent, but need a home(town home) (3bd-2bath)
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) I will be commuting on some days ( worksite has not be determine yet but Alpharetta may be the spot instead of Atlanta)
4. Children(public school vs. private) Not an issue
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two-I'd like a diverse neighborhood.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Will have a car, but still would like to commute via transit if need be.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. would like to be close to city but I am a suburbanite who love trees, nature and peace. Prefer area with not a lot of kids so definitely do not want to live near any schools.
8. Pet Friendly have a small dog

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have already been recommended DeKalb County, Alpharetta, Decatur and the Virginia Highland, Inman Park area. I would like an area that is walk friendly since I am a walker/runner, pet friendly, people friendly and have maybe some bistros, parks water nearby. Thanks in advance guys

Last edited by gracefulsista; 06-23-2011 at 10:11 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,051 times
Does anyone know anything about the Loganville, Snellville area?

Old 07-02-2011, 11:47 PM

47 posts, read 138,997 times
I would love the chance to live in Atlanta, I am 25...heard Midtown is the place to be if you want to be where the action is, this true? Anyone know of entry-level engineering (mechanical, process or transportation) openings/companies hiring? New Jersey is getting to me lately, having family in Alpharetta and visiting them, I am tempted to move every time I visit!

Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,853 times
Hello!

I will relocate in Atlanta for ONE year, I´ll be doing my internship at the St Regis Hotel and as I understand is in the Buckhead area, so I need a cheap apartment close to the St Regis.

1. 600
2. Apartment
3. Paid Internship
4. -
5. Doesn´t matter
6. Not very important
7. -

Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,827 times
Im 26 no kids moving alone to Atlanta or surrounding city.. Im still sorting things out! My goal is to be there by October so I need help asap! I have a vehicle, occupation Phlebotomist and Child Care Provider.. I love Decatur and Marrieta any ideas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta