Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:48 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered why by a 10 to 1 margin you see post on here from people asking abouting relocating from NY. No other city seems to have so many people asking about relocating here or what New Yorkers think once they get here. So I ask why Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 02:25 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Well, because New York City is the largest city in the U.S. by far, and New York State is still #3 in U.S. population, just by sheer numbers, New York City/State will have one of the highest numbers of people relocating here.

However, that may not be the case if you take the number of people relocating and compare it to the total city or state population. The ratio of "Atlanta Relocators" to the total city or state population may be higher for other cities or states.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:45 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
They already have a similar thread going called (Ex) New Yorkers loving Atlanta. You may want to check it out.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...g-atlanta.html

Old 01-15-2010, 03:12 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,064 times
It is not about finding Atlanta appealing as a metro area as much as it is about the appeal of having a much higher standard of living while still residing in a sizeable metro area.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:14 PM

133 posts, read 629,473 times
Because New Yorkers are tired of paying so much for everything! I am one of those New Yorkers and I hope the grass is greener when I move to back to Atlanta!

Old 01-15-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
It is not about finding Atlanta appealing as a metro area as much as it is about the appeal of having a much higher standard of living while still residing in a sizeable metro area.

So then is it safe to assume that Charlotte, Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, Dallas, Houston, etc.. have just a many New Yorkers moving there?

Old 01-15-2010, 03:18 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
So then is it safe to assume that Charlotte, Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, Dallas, Houston, etc.. have just a many New Yorkers moving there?
Atlanta is much larger than the first four metro areas you listed by far. However New Yorkers have been moving to Charlotte in droves as well. Dallas and Houston are much farther away. Why go all the way to Texas when Atlanta is a day's (or a day and a half) drive away? Also, the topography and climate in Atlanta is not as much of a shock as what can be found in the Texas cities, especially Dallas.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsing View Post
Because New Yorkers are tired of paying so much for everything! I am one of those New Yorkers and I hope the grass is greener when I move to back to Atlanta!

I have heard this from other nothern transplants yet time and again I see an Obama or Kerry 04 sticker on their car. Seems to me if you had a problem with overtaxation and big government and fled to get away from it you would be more conservative leaning especially moving to Georgia. For the record I am not implying that you have an Obama sticker on your car. LOL

Old 01-15-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Atlanta is much larger than the first four metro areas you listed by far. However New Yorkers have been moving to Charlotte in droves as well. Dallas and Houston are much farther away. Why go all the way to Texas when Atlanta is a day's (or a day and a half) drive away? Also, the topography and climate in Atlanta is not as much of a shock as what can be found in the Texas cities, especially Dallas.

Yep, Charlotte is known for receiving lots of transplants from New York/New Jersey.

Texas (Dallas+Houston) is receiving a lot from California.

Atlanta receives a lot from all over--New York, Midwest, Florida, and, to lesser extent, California.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I have heard this from other nothern transplants yet time and again I see an Obama or Kerry 04 sticker on their car. Seems to me if you had a problem with overtaxation and big government and fled to get away from it you would be more conservative leaning especially moving to Georgia. For the record I am not implying that you have an Obama sticker on your car. LOL

One can have progressive politics, but desire a much lower cost of living.

They are not mutually exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: