Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 6,952 times

Advertisements

Returning to the states after 18 years in Spain. I have grown used to living in a condo, having shops on the ground floor of my building, walking to most everything I need, using public transportation and talking with my neighbours. I am looking for a living sitation that will allow some walking to shops, some contact with neighbours, in a place where the (3) elemntary school-aged kids can go to a good public school (and in a school district where I might find work teaching ESOL) that will not mean a horrendous commute for my husband (in Marietta). I think I would like Virigina Heights and midtown around but I suspect that this would be a long and tiring commute for my husband. I was wondering then if Dunwoody or Sandy Springs would be a good idea and if we rented a flat or townhome in a community with a pool if these places welcome families or if they are more typically rented by younger single people or couples with no children. I don't need a huge house and have no time (or expertise!) for keeping up a yard, garden, roof, etc. We are used to living in 100m2 (sorry, have been converted to the metric system and don't know how many square feet that it).
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 12:03 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Dunwoody and Sandy Springs won't give you the walkable neighborhood that you're looking for, IMO. The commute to Marietta from Midtown or Virginia Highlands wouldn't be too bad, as it's pretty much a reverse commute.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:17 PM

173 posts, read 471,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Dunwoody and Sandy Springs won't give you the walkable neighborhood that you're looking for, IMO. The commute to Marietta from Midtown or Virginia Highlands wouldn't be too bad, as it's pretty much a reverse commute.
I agree with this. I've driven to Marietta from Midtown during the morning commute and it wasn't bad at all.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:22 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingmadrid View Post
Returning to the states after 18 years in Spain. I have grown used to living in a condo, having shops on the ground floor of my building, walking to most everything I need, using public transportation and talking with my neighbours. I am looking for a living sitation that will allow some walking to shops, some contact with neighbours, in a place where the (3) elemntary school-aged kids can go to a good public school (and in a school district where I might find work teaching ESOL) that will not mean a horrendous commute for my husband (in Marietta). I think I would like Virigina Heights and midtown around but I suspect that this would be a long and tiring commute for my husband. I was wondering then if Dunwoody or Sandy Springs would be a good idea and if we rented a flat or townhome in a community with a pool if these places welcome families or if they are more typically rented by younger single people or couples with no children. I don't need a huge house and have no time (or expertise!) for keeping up a yard, garden, roof, etc. We are used to living in 100m2 (sorry, have been converted to the metric system and don't know how many square feet that it).
Thanks for your help!
Considering your criteria (walkability, good schools, etc.), I recommend that you look for a place to live in the following areas:

1. Midtown***

2. Ansley Park**

3. City of Decatur**

4. Inman Park/Candler Park/Little Five Points*

5. Virginia-Highland

6. Poncey-Highland

7. Kirkwood

8. Atlantic Station

* = Great Choice

** = Top Choices

*** = The Ultimate Choice!

Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 AM

3 posts, read 6,952 times
Thanks so much! I was hoping living in midtown would be a do-able option.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingmadrid View Post
Thanks so much! I was hoping living in midtown would be a do-able option.
It's totally doable! The thing about Midtown is that offers a easy access to most of the metro area due to its centralized location.

The elementary school for Midtown is Springdale Park Elementary.

Springdale Park Elementary School (http://srt3.atlantapublicschools.us/springdale/site/default.asp - broken link)

(The middle school for Midtown is Inman Middle and the high school is Grady High.)

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta