Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:50 PM

4 posts, read 14,203 times

Advertisements

Hello,

May be relocating to Atlanta. Looking for neighborhood recommendations, please.Most attracted to older houses, pre-1950, with historic character. Porch would be highly valued, as would non-small yard. Basement would be nice, but not essential. We're white, but wouldn't mind mixed or mostly non-white neighborhood if we would be welcome -- we're gay male couple. Used to some crime in neighborhood (coming from Oakland, CA) but want to avoid high crime areas, as that would make it harder to get friends to come over for dinner. We like city life, but live mostly at home nights and weekends.

Have gotten some favorable impressions so far about East Point, but is there a lot of airplane noise there from the airport? (I grew up near O'Hare airport in Chicago and hated that.)

Any other neighborhoods you suggest?

1. Budget
Under $200,000; fixer-upper OK if total cost with needed repairs comes in under that amount.

2. House/Condo/Townhome?
Detached single family home preferred, but open to charming townhouse if quiet enough.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Would probably commute to work in Buckhead.
4. Children(public school vs. private) Not an issue.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two Open to any friendly enough neighborhood, but no suburb if fairly anonymous.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Marta link to get to Buckhead would be nice. But open to drive if less than 40 minutes in rush hour.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. See above. All economic classes and races possible, but need to be at least tolerant of a white gay couple (and our two white doggies).

Thanks much,
Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 07:58 PM

697 posts, read 3,023,224 times
Under $200K in an area with relatively low crime and with MARTA access is a pretty tough order to fill in the Atlanta area. There are very few properties of any kind at that price point in Atlanta that aren't in areas that are sketchy at best.

Capitol View is an area that might work for you -- crime rate's still pretty high, and it was still in the early stages of gentrification/amelioration when the real estate market and economy tanked, so it's stalled a bit in that respect, but I was in the neighborhood at Perkerson Park for a disc golf tournament last weekend and was impressed with what some folks have done with their houses in that area, and with the overall friendliness of the other park users. There's a MARTA station (Lakewood/Ft. McPherson) nearby (not walking distance though), and it's along the proposed Beltline route if that ever comes together. The neighborhood organizations (homeowners' and security alliance) seem pretty active, which would help. You'd be within shouting distance of some of the worst parts of Atlanta, which is of course to be expected, but on the other hand there are houses available under $100K in that area.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:29 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,102,798 times
You will find quite a few houses that fit your requirements in Smyrna, for example, but you wouln't have access to MARTA. The drive to Buckhead would not be very long, though.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:03 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,277,400 times
Your budget is going to be a major issue intown. Your preference for historic charm is going to be an issue if you go out to the suburbs where you money will stretch much further. As an example, I live in North Decatur (30033). Here, it is possible to find a 3 bedroom, 1 bath, unrenovated 1950s ranch for around $200k but to go enough below $200k to have money for improvements, you'd very likely end up with a 2/1 detached home or a townhome (or even a condo). In any event, you're not likely to find anything you'd consider particularly historic or charming. Still the area is nice and convenient and you'd have a yard.

There are certainly intown areas with historic bungalows priced below $200k, but you'll want to be careful about the investment potential for these areas. Check to see how many foreclosures an area has and drive around (a lot) before you make any decisions. Also, since crime is a primary concern for you, you might want to check out a couple of resources available online:

Crime Mapping - Building Safer Communities! -- shows crimes in unincorporated DeKalb county
Atlanta Police Department | Crime Map Page (http://www.atlantapd.org/index.asp?nav=map - broken link) -- shows crimes in City of Atlanta

Old 02-15-2010, 02:36 AM

36 posts, read 262,714 times
Small world menschnet, I actually grew up in Oakland (Fruitvale/Foothill area) and am currently living in East Point, Jefferson Park neighborhood for a little more than 2 years.

To answer your question, airport noise here in EP is very little to none. The airplanes mostly fly east-west and EP is located North of the airport so we are relatively unaffected. There are plenty of deals over here on older homes. You can find a home for under 200k with easy access to MARTA rail. We are only a couple of miles away from downtown and a few MARTA stops away. I've never driven to Buckhead in rush hour, but it takes me about 25 mins to get to the midtown area in rush hour using the surface roads.

My neighborhood in East Point is gay and lesbian friendly. There are actually openly gay members in the city council. Lots of dog and animal lovers too. We have an active community association with regular monthly meetings. You will certainly feel welcome here. If you haven't already, check out our neighborhood website where you can get a feel for the neighborhood and the people who live here.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:58 AM

115 posts, read 424,377 times
Marta access is not great, but look at "Kirkhurst" (between Kirkwood and Oakhurst). You can look around Grant Park, you are on the low end there, but given the number of foreclosures and things, you may find something. There is also a little neighborhood near the Atlanta City Prison on Rice Street (really). Can't remember what it's called. Despite its location, the crime is not bad.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:03 AM

145 posts, read 361,709 times
The neighborhood that yankeegirl73 refers to is called Howell Station. Most things are above $200,000. There are always a few cuties right at $225,000 or so. Usually there will be a rough one on an "eh" lot right under $200,000. Right now, though--because of the way the market is now--there is a killer foreclosure at $160,000. It probably already has offers on it, but it just goes to show that you never know. If I were looking, I would look at the neighborhoods mentioned by others above, and add Howell Station and "Historic" Riverside (in NW Atlanta) to the list, too. Whittier Mill Village rarely has anything under $200,000. But, again, it's been a rough year or so...a few foreclosures have popped up, which used to never happen here. So maybe put us on your list, too. All 3 neighborhoods would be perfect for you. Good Luck!

Old 02-17-2010, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 6,728 times
Honestly, in-town home prices are plummeting. (They're also plummeting in far-flung charmless suburbs like Lawrenceville and Marietta, while holding steady in upscale northern areas like Sandy Springs, Dunwoody and west Vinings, from my unscientific observation).

Decatur is becoming more affordable every day, and fits a lot of your requirements. Toward the northeast, look at areas around North Druid Hills / Toco Hills, or south of the Emory / CDC area near roads like Scott, Decatur, Clairemont / Clairmont, and Willivee. These areas will be mostly four-sided brick ranches from the 1940s to 1960s, so "fixer upper" is probably mandatory in your price range. Areas like Lindbergh Martin Manor have charming cottage-type homes, but are mostly in the $300-350K range.

Please note that Memorial Drive (runs under Decatur, west-east) is a sketchy industrial area, so you'll want to be several blocks to the north or the south of this road. Also, Avondale Estate taxes are very high.

Intown is where the age and charm are located. Try looking in Eastlake, Cabbage Town, Glenwood, East Atlanta Village, Kirkwood, Oakhurst, and the areas south of Dekalb Avenue near Agnes Scott College. Ansley Park is a very gay-friendly area - prices may have dropped into your range. There are lots of cute townhomes going begging, but I'm with you on the yard requirement.

Areas like Collier Hills, Inman Park, Grant Park, Edgewood, Piedmont Heights, and Lake Claire would be very desirable but are way out of your price range unless you find a foreclosure, and even then the taxes are very high.

Don't bother with Stone Mountain or areas of Decatur east of I-285, or east on I-20; lots of charmless 70s tract houses. And the western half of I-20 borders some highly unsafe areas. Do noooot look around Lakewood Stadium, Bolton, or Donald Lee Hallowell Parkway.

Loring Heights isn't quiiiiite at your price range yet but you may want to keep an eye around there. It's 1920s bungalows (tiny, but porches!) and charm.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:21 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,976,593 times
I keep hearing Westview come up. I honestly have never been there, but thinking about making the point to see it. The houses are really charming, and cheeeaaap. I know the neighborhood isn't amazing, but I really do love the houses. What is everyone's opinion on this neighborhood?

Old 02-19-2010, 03:45 PM

55 posts, read 233,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.zhou57 View Post
My neighborhood in East Point is gay and lesbian friendly. There are actually openly gay members in the city council. Lots of dog and animal lovers too. We have an active community association with regular monthly meetings. You will certainly feel welcome here. If you haven't already, check out our neighborhood website where you can get a feel for the neighborhood and the people who live here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
I keep hearing Westview come up. I honestly have never been there, but thinking about making the point to see it. The houses are really charming, and cheeeaaap. I know the neighborhood isn't amazing, but I really do love the houses. What is everyone's opinion on this neighborhood?
Westview is a GREAT neighborhood...but then again I'm a little biased because I live here. I can really only copy c.zhou57's remark about his neighborhood. (Sorry for piggybacking, c.zhou57!) Westview is gay and lesbian friendly. I have 7 gay/lesbian couples/singles living within a close circumference of my house that I am aware of. Many people in the neighborhood own dogs and you'll see them walking them (including my very pregnant neighbor!). We have an active neighborhood organization and are seeing a steady stream of new homeowners moving in. The neighborhood is a few years behind in revitalization compared to some of the other neighborhoods around town, but in turn you can easily come in below $200k.

The lots are generally a quarter acre and large old oak trees are scattered in yards throughout the neighborhood. The majority of housing stock is made up of Arts and Crafts bungalows from the 10s through the 30s, including a few Four Squares, Tudor style cottages, and in the western portion of the neighborhood "newer" post-WWII minimal traditional style houses from the 40s and 50s. So we have the perfect historic houses with large front porches for you! As far as crime goes - well, you're in town, so needless to say there are the occasional break-ins just like everywhere else in the city. Our neighborhood president gives walking tours to show you the good and the bad around the neighborhood, if you're interested. You can contact him through the website: www.westviewatlanta.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayanlang View Post
Intown is where the age and charm are located. Try looking in Eastlake, Cabbage Town, Glenwood, East Atlanta Village, Kirkwood, Oakhurst, and the areas south of Dekalb Avenue near Agnes Scott College. Ansley Park is a very gay-friendly area - prices may have dropped into your range. There are lots of cute townhomes going begging, but I'm with you on the yard requirement.
Although I think Cabbage Town is absolutely adorable it sounds like the lots may be too small for what menschnet is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta