Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 AM

22 posts, read 87,445 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

My husband and I traveled to Atlanta this past weekend to check it out as a possible place to live (I could transfer my job there). Maybe it's just because we were in a good mood to be away from the stress of home (we live in Washington DC), but we were very pleased to meet such friendly and warm people in Atlanta.

We really liked what we saw in the VA Highland/Morningside area and are hopeful that we could afford a small bungalow there. We want to live close in, stay off the highways, and be able to walk to restaurants and parks. We want a small house/small yard because we'd rather be doing fun activities than cleaning our 4000 sq ft house or mowing the grass all the time! We have a toddler and we've read that the elementary schools in the area -- especially Morningside -- are pretty good. I'm not sure we'd stay in the area after our child completes elementary.

Questions:

- for those knowledgeable about the area, what are the real estate trends? Have prices fallen a bit in the area; will they fall more? We're looking to rent for about six months and maybe buy in the fall. What do you predict for the future? Think the area will hold its value and appeal?

- how about maintenance on the older housing stock in that area? Most places that we saw were extremely well-maintained. Are there issues with water damage, mold, etc.

- how about commuting to Georgia State Univ. downtown - a bear or doable? Do people take city buses?

- Do you feel safe walking around at night? I looked at the Atlanta police dept.'s crime map for zip code 30306 and there seemed to be a fair number of residential break-ins/forced entry burglaries. I know city living comes with trade-offs, but do you feel comfortable with the crime level? We're coming from a diverse neighborhood in DC where we have a fair number of break-ins and muggings. That makes me uncomfortable; I would prefer the situation to be a bit better, rather than worse!

- What's up with the property taxes? We've seen houses for sale that are roughly the same cost yet the reported property taxes are all over the map, with several thousand dollar differentials.

And lastly, even if you love VA Highland/Morningside, are there other close-in areas that you'd also recommend for a young family?

Thanks for all your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 AM

16,703 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate1048 View Post
Hey everyone,

My husband and I traveled to Atlanta this past weekend to check it out as a possible place to live (I could transfer my job there). Maybe it's just because we were in a good mood to be away from the stress of home (we live in Washington DC), but we were very pleased to meet such friendly and warm people in Atlanta.

We really liked what we saw in the VA Highland/Morningside area and are hopeful that we could afford a small bungalow there. We want to live close in, stay off the highways, and be able to walk to restaurants and parks. We want a small house/small yard because we'd rather be doing fun activities than cleaning our 4000 sq ft house or mowing the grass all the time! We have a toddler and we've read that the elementary schools in the area -- especially Morningside -- are pretty good. I'm not sure we'd stay in the area after our child completes elementary.

Questions:

- for those knowledgeable about the area, what are the real estate trends? Have prices fallen a bit in the area; will they fall more? We're looking to rent for about six months and maybe buy in the fall. What do you predict for the future? Think the area will hold its value and appeal?

- how about maintenance on the older housing stock in that area? Most places that we saw were extremely well-maintained. Are there issues with water damage, mold, etc.

- how about commuting to Georgia State Univ. downtown - a bear or doable? Do people take city buses?

- Do you feel safe walking around at night? I looked at the Atlanta police dept.'s crime map for zip code 30306 and there seemed to be a fair number of residential break-ins/forced entry burglaries. I know city living comes with trade-offs, but do you feel comfortable with the crime level? We're coming from a diverse neighborhood in DC where we have a fair number of break-ins and muggings. That makes me uncomfortable; I would prefer the situation to be a bit better, rather than worse!

- What's up with the property taxes? We've seen houses for sale that are roughly the same cost yet the reported property taxes are all over the map, with several thousand dollar differentials.

And lastly, even if you love VA Highland/Morningside, are there other close-in areas that you'd also recommend for a young family?

So that you know, the Morningside neighborhood is zoned for Morningside Elementary; the Virginia-Highland neighborhood is now zoned for Springdale Park Elementary (a new school).

Both elementary schools are great--most of the area zoned for Springdale Park was taken from Morningside's zone (and some from Mary Lin Elementary--also a great school).

All of the students at these three great elementary schools go on to study at Inman Middle and Grady High--these are also good schools.

If you'll still be working in Atlanta after your child completes elementary, you will probably want to stay in the area since the middle and high school are excellent choices.

*You should also look in Inman Park and Candler Park (Springdale Park Elementary) and the City of Decatur (City Schools of Decatur).

I hope this helps some. Good Luck!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:18 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate1048 View Post
We have a toddler and we've read that the elementary schools in the area -- especially Morningside -- are pretty good. I'm not sure we'd stay in the area after our child completes elementary.
Virginia-Highland has been redistricted to the brand new Springdale Park Elementary School on Ponce de Leon.

Springdale Park Elementary

There are no test scores available yet (brand new school), but I anticipate it will be as good as Morningside. It has very active parents.

Quote:
Questions:

Virtually all real estate has fallen in the past 2 years but intown neighborhoods remain highly desirable because so many people want to cut down on their commute. The best houses in Virginia-Highland still sell very, very quickly when they are priced in line with the market. This is an extremely popular part of town and you shouldn't need to worry about it holding its appeal to buyers. Prices are anyone's guess. I foresee 3 more years of sagging prices myself, because of the number of foreclosures yet to work their way through the system, but this is one of the neighborhoods you can count on people wanting to live in because it's one of the very, very few walk-able intown neighborhoods with a strong business district and it's so convenient to the best of everything intown has to offer.

Quote:
Virginia-Highland has been popular for several decades so most houses are renovated. Always get a home inspection. You never know how well a previous owner has done with maintenance or renovations. It will vary on a house-by-house basis.

Quote:
Piece of cake (relatively speaking)

Quote:
I don't frequent nightspots, so I'll leave that to the pubcrawlers and neighbors.

Quote:
Major differences can occur when one neighbor has different exemptions from another (homestead exception versus a non-resident landlord, special exemptions for elderly residents, etc.). Also, with the declines in the real estate market, there are LOTS of homes that are now incorrectly appraised based on 2006/2007 values. Many homeowners are appealing their property values. It's a process. Again, it's going to be a house-by-house thing you'll need to look at and consider.

Quote:

Check the City of Decatur (30030). Very Mayberry meets Berkeley. Concerts on the town square. Cute shops and restaurants. Community gardens, parks, etc. Super adorable.

City of Decatur, GA

Feel free to DM me if you have questions. And Welcome to Atlanta!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times

Va-Hi and Morningside homes have held their values pretty well during the recession, as have homes in many intown Atlanta neighborhoods. I expect that will continue to be the case. They are both very popular choices for many Atlantans.

It really depends on the house of course, but most of the housing stock in both neighborhoods have experienced at least some level of restoration/renovation. A good house inspector will reveal the truth of it.

An extremely easy commute (about 10 min). Yes, bus #27 (Monroe Dr) runs through Morningside to Downtown, #45 (Va-McLynn) through Va-Hi to Downtown.

Va-Hi and Morningside feel very safe...I would surmise that most of what you are observing is in the very southern part of the Va-Hi district close to Ponce De Leon (a much denser area with more nuisance crime as a result).

My guess is that the 'lower' property taxes are on houses that haven't experienced a recent turnover...the city usually takes the opportunity on a recent sale or new construction to jack up taxes.

Yes. If you like the feel and location of these two neighborhoods, I would (highly) recommend:

Druid Hills
Decatur
Avondale Estates
Lake Claire
Candler Park
Inman Park

Good luck with your search!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 AM

248 posts, read 649,218 times
My wife and I lived for three years in ViHi when our son was first born and really liked the area for exactly what you mention in regard to walking proximity to parks and restaurants. We were renting, so I can't answer your questions about home buying, but I can say that the area is very family-friendly and I always felt safe walking around. There were some car break ins near us, but that didn't faze me much.

As far as the commute -- we did find that the driving commute to and from here with our jobs was more difficult than we could be comfortable with (I work near Buckhead and my wife works in West Midtown), but that's atypical for most residents. It really depends on your tolerance for traffic. Ours is pretty low. I like LovinDecatur's suggestion of the #27 bus route. That would work very well for your job.

And I second what aries4118 said -- the schools in this area are all well regarded.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:38 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,740,728 times
You will LOVE the area. That's all I have to say about this! (used to live in DC)

Old 03-03-2010, 04:14 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,262,193 times
I don't have a whole lot to add to what other have said except for one thing, commute to Ga State. I live in Candler Park (30307). If you moved to Candler Park or Inman Park (also 30307) you would live along the east (now called blue and green) MARTA lines. You could get on at the E4 (Candler Park) or E3 (Inman Park) stations and ride just a couple of stops to the Georgia State Station (E1). The same can be said for living in parts of Decatur.

MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Candler Park and Inman Park have everything Morningside/VaHi has to offer. Candler Park is probably slightly more affordable because there are less large homes there. Inman Park is on par, I think, with Morningside. Only you can get a grand old Victorian or Queen Anne house.

All that being said, you will enjoy your quality of life if you live in any of the areas mentioned.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:17 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,262,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I don't have a whole lot to add to what other have said except for one thing, commute to Ga State. I live in Candler Park (30307). If you moved to Candler Park or Inman Park (also 30307) you would live along the east (now called blue and green) MARTA lines. You could get on at the E4 (Candler Park) or E3 (Inman Park) stations and ride just a couple of stops to the Georgia State Station (E1). The same can be said for living in parts of Decatur.

Candler Park and Inman Park have everything Morningside/VaHi has to offer. Candler Park is probably slightly more affordable because there are less large homes there. Inman Park is on par, I think, with Morningside. Only you can get a grand old Victorian or Queen Anne house.

All that being said, you will enjoy your quality of life if you live in any of the areas mentioned.

Oh, one more thing, if you're an active person you can ride your bike to GA State from ANY of these neighborhoods. I bike to work from Candler Park to CDC (to a satellite campus not the main one...the main one is 3 miles away...the one I bike to is 6). The weather here is so nice for much of the year you can bike nearly year round. We had a particularly cold and wet winter this year but I think I biked to work at least once a week. Tomorrow I am running to work! And back. But I'm only doing that to get in miles while I train for a marathon.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post

I'm glad "p-less-than-.05" posted...because the more I think about it, Inman Park, Candler Park, Lake Claire, and the City of Decatur would be a little better since you will be working at Georgia State. These neighborhoods have everything that you'll find in Virginia-Highland or Morningside--plus the added convenience of the direct access to Georgia State by way of the MARTA Blue Line or Green Line.

MARTA > Schedules And Maps > Rail Schedules or Route

Old 03-03-2010, 05:26 PM

More helpful info...

http://www.atlantapublicschools.us/186110108171837253/lib/186110108171837253/Elementary_Map_FY10_2.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta