Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Bi-racial family relocating to Atlanta from Portland Oregon, looking for information on work near Charlie Brown Airport, insurance jobs, Dacula, Millcreek school systems, lease to own housing options

Old 06-03-2007, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,885 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My family will be relocating to the Atlanta area sometime in July from Portland Oregon. We are a bi-racial family (black/white) and have 2 daughers ages 16 and 12. My spouse needs to be close to the Charlie Brown Airport and I need to find a job in the insurance industry. We would like to find a lease to own situation on a home. It looks like Dacula and millcreek have the best school systems? Is this accurate? what about commute? I have heard that the south can still have its racial areas and I would really like to know which ones to keep my children out of. Any thought and advise are greatly appreciated!!
Job Posting (insurance industry)
Lease option to own listings
school Information

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 08:35 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,670,079 times
Atlanta, while located in the south and still possesses a tiny bit of southern charm (if it hasn't been torn down yet), isn't really stereotypically southern. There are lots of different races, ethicities, etc all over Atlanta. Most people who live here aren't southerners -- though many from the NorthEast and Midwest report that ATlanta and its surrounding areas are far more integrated than where they have come from.

Not so say you won't stumble upon a bigot every now and then -- but I find most bigotry is class related not racial... my opinion and experience anyway.

I am thinking that Cobb County will be closer to Charlie Brown airport than Dacula...

once others chime in on locations, I can be more helpful about schools.

Also, Georgia has (mostly) county wide school systems -- Dacula and Mill Creek are in Gwinnett. There are a few exceptions -- Atlanta, Marietta, Decatur and Buford have their own school systems (city).. but everything else is county wide.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,906,432 times
You've got nothing to worry about - it's not too big a stretch to say that about 25% or more of the couples who have posted on here lately in the last year or so who are moving here are biracial couples. I honestly think Atlanta is a biracial couple magnet, so give it 5 more years and it'll be the norm here rather than the exception. As it is now, no, unless you move 70 miles outside of the city it won't be an issue.

Look into Marietta or Smyrna as far as locations go for where he'll be working, plus job markets for yourself. I can't comment on the school systems in those areas though - but hey, there's two Costcos to shop at!

I gotta ask though - why Atlanta from Portland? I've known several people here who have gone to Portland for vacations all the way to extended work projects, and every single one of them came back ranting about how much they loved it there, and would leave Atlanta in a New York second to relocate to Portland if they could swing it. So, it stumps me as to why someone would leave such a nice city for Atlanta (?) If I may ask... why the move here, from there?

Old 06-04-2007, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,885 times
Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions. My spouse will be accepting a position with Coca-Cola which will be a significant pay increase for him. With my insurance carreer it shouldnt be to hard to find work in Atlanta or surrounding areas! After all....It is the necessary evil! We LOVE Portland and it sadens us deeply to leave here! We are avid DUCK fans and all of our family is out West but opportunity is knocking! What do you do but take it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta