Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 06:57 AM

59 posts, read 121,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Hang in there man!! Hope things get better for you.

I love NYC and Atlanta a lot, but at this point NYC is for fun, to see friends, family and enjoy what the city has to offer.

Where were you before moving to Atlanta?
I was in domincan Harlem up on riverside dr in Manhattan. I hated it but was there for a job. Once that job came to an end, my wife and I just bailed. Packed our car and moved to Atlanta. Couldn't take the NY life any longer but here I am again which I still can't believe but this is where I keep getting jobs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You can do anything you want, including rob a bank, but that doesn't make it legal or right. Owning a home has absolutely nothing to do with establishing residence in a state. Something as simple as signing a lease for an apartment or paying income taxes in that state is enough.

I'm tired of trying to debate various issues with people who essentially say...

"I plan to cheat/do something illegal, and I want to know how I can get away with it."

or

"I was just caught doing <fill in illegal action> and I want to know how I can get out of being punished"

What is with people today? Do the right thing and realize you're not a special case. If you can't or won't do that, then take the punishment and shut up.
I never meant to come off as someone who's trying to break the law. I'm rather a by the book guy but was simply curious about people's opinions on this matter, just in case I go back to GA in a few months. Is it really worth going through all of this DMV hassle? I don't drive the car here anyway due to *******s who drive too aggressively for my taste. Didn't have a prob in GA with anyone the whole time I lived there but after a week in NY I already got cursed at and got a few nasty looks after getting passed on the wrong side while I was already doing 5 over the limit. People expect me to speed 30 miles over the limit here it seems like.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:18 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,200,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonieboy View Post
I never meant to come off as someone who's trying to break the law. I'm rather a by the book guy but was simply curious about people's opinions on this matter, just in case I go back to GA in a few months. Is it really worth going through all of this DMV hassle? I don't drive the car here anyway due to *******s who drive too aggressively for my taste. Didn't have a prob in GA with anyone the whole time I lived there but after a week in NY I already got cursed at and got a few nasty looks after getting passed on the wrong side while I was already doing 5 over the limit. People expect me to speed 30 miles over the limit here it seems like.
Wasn't necessarily referring to you but venting in general. There have been threads here about silly things like window tint, which is cut and dry, yet people think they're being hassled when they get stopped and ticketed.

I get asking the question, but be prepared for the answer.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Wasn't necessarily referring to you but venting in general. There have been threads here about silly things like window tint, which is cut and dry, yet people think they're being hassled when they get stopped and ticketed.

I get asking the question, but be prepared for the answer.
I hear ya.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:09 AM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,359,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonieboy View Post
WHy would you want to come back to GA? In another thread you regretted moving here after living in Brooklyn and now you are in Brooklyn but hate it? Whats your deal? Do like to move every six months or so?

Its not that much of a hassle to just change your plate and DL over it is a MAJOR hassle if yo uget a ticket for either or if your insurance co drops you.....rack up enough parking tickets in BK and see if you dont get a call from your carrier asking questions.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:55 PM

132 posts, read 446,422 times
IMO, don't go back to GA if all the good jobs are in NY. Just move out of Bk into the suburbs like upstate, NJ or even CT and then commute. That is same reason why I left. There are multiple opportunites knocking at my door even in this recession.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:56 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
WHy would you want to come back to GA? In another thread you regretted moving here after living in Brooklyn and now you are in Brooklyn but hate it? Whats your deal? Do like to move every six months or so?

Its not that much of a hassle to just change your plate and DL over it is a MAJOR hassle if yo uget a ticket for either or if your insurance co drops you.....rack up enough parking tickets in BK and see if you dont get a call from your carrier asking questions.
Because he realized he didn't know how good things were until they were gone. It can happen to the best of us. I wish him the best of luck, finding something in GA soon. I know living in the city can be a pain in the ass, after living comfortably in the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKATL View Post
IMO, don't go back to GA if all the good jobs are in NY. Just move out of Bk into the suburbs like upstate, NJ or even CT and then commute. That is same reason why I left. There are multiple opportunites knocking at my door even in this recession.

Good, go answer the door...

Do you know how expensive the suburbs are? Even with prices dropping, most people can't afford to live on Long Island, or Westchester areas. That's why most live in Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx etc. Those areas, you can find deals on basements etc, but the burbs, not quite. Unless he goes deep on Long Island, like Coram, Port Jefferson. That's over an hour away from the city. That's crazy. Not worth it, unless he works in Queens or Long Island. (That's the only way I'd live far from Manhattan, by working far from it).

CT or NJ commute, he's not actually living in NYC anymore, is he ? It gets tiresome after a while and still as expensive. What you save on rent/mortgage, you make up for it in your commute, time, and hassles.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post

Yes I love moving every six months. And I love downgrading from a 3 bed house to a 1 bed apt with no laundry or driveway. Yes I initially regretted moving to Atl but like I said, it grew on me after 4 months and by the sixth month, I was running out of money and had to take a job offer in Bk. Once back here, I realized how good I had it in GA. Except for the job part. Living in the burbs of NY is kind of impossible, it'd actually cost more than living in Bk right by my job. I used to live upstate and did the whole commuting thing and it sucks. Figure 2 hours door to door. Not only you have to get to midtown Manhattan but then you gotta head to Bk via subway which is another half hour. No thanks. I'd much rather live in a suburb of Atl and drive to work. No matter how bad the traffic is it's still a hell of a lot better than being like a sardine and breathing in other people's germs.

Last edited by Boonieboy; 03-23-2010 at 09:04 AM..

Old 03-23-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKATL View Post
So let me get this. Were you in Bk originally then moved to Atl and back to NY? Pretty similar to my story.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Because he realized he didn't know how good things were until they were gone. It can happen to the best of us. I wish him the best of luck, finding something in GA soon. I know living in the city can be a pain in the ass, after living comfortably in the South.

Good, go answer the door...

Do you know how expensive the suburbs are? Even with prices dropping, most people can't afford to live on Long Island, or Westchester areas. That's why most live in Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx etc. Those areas, you can find deals on basements etc, but the burbs, not quite. Unless he goes deep on Long Island, like Coram, Port Jefferson. That's over an hour away from the city. That's crazy. Not worth it, unless he works in Queens or Long Island. (That's the only way I'd live far from Manhattan, by working far from it).

CT or NJ commute, he's not actually living in NYC anymore, is he ? It gets tiresome after a while and still as expensive. What you save on rent/mortgage, you make up for it in your commute, time, and hassles.
Well said, thanks for the support. I see you know your **** about what a pain NY can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta