Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:58 AM

188 posts, read 594,593 times

Advertisements

Parents parking at the entrance of the subdivision is a major issue in our school district. In one subdivision I know of in particular, at least 20 cars clog up the entrance in the morning and the afternoon. Most of these parents have children in 2nd grade and older, and they still feel the need to drive them a block or so from the entrance to their house -- every single day.

Moreover, it's dangerous for the kids who have to weave in and out of the cars to get from the school bus stop to the sidewalk.

Part of this is the parents' issue, but it's also our elementary school's issue. I have been told by a staff member at the school, that children of all ages should be picked up at the bus stop by parents. And since many parents just don't want to walk, they're picking them up in cars.

The school will be shocked, I'm sure, when next year they see at least one of my kids walking to and from school all by herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
About driving your youngest the half mile to the bus stop ... when did things change in this country so that a five or six year old was deemed incapable of walking a half mile? Perhaps you're concerned about supervision and feel that no adult in the family has time to walk up to the stop with him or her, and back again.
Right now the weather is not conducive to a half-mile walk. When it gets warmer I may walk up there in the afternoon to pick her up. But in the morning a half mile walk would talk too long (especially with my child!). I already have to get her up at 6:30 in the morning: I can't imagine trying to get her up any earlier. There is no way I would let her walk that distance unsupervised, not at her age.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 AM

109 posts, read 392,390 times
My reasons are all valid. Actually every item on the list I posted earlier are reasons why I have driven my kids to school over the years and will continue to do so.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,037 times
Sigh....I'd like to think in some small way my actions are conserving energy resources and making the world a less polluted place. I don't want to beat the dead horse anymore...my grandkids might very well need to ride that horse to school someday.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
After driving a Cobb County bus for five years in the early 90s, will make my pitch for putting your children on the bus: they are exponentially safer on a school bus than in a private vehicle.

Kids are so much safer on a bus than in a parent's car. Does anyone remember the dad rushing his kids to school on a foggy day and pulling out in front of a bus at the intersection of Wigley Road and Sandy Plains Road? This was a few years back, but I remember both children lost their lives and perhaps the father as well. The bus driver was uninjured physically, but had to take a leave of absense for some time. Not sure if she could go back. I knew her from my bus driving days, a wonderful, caring, completely conscientious lady. The dad pulled out straight in front of her as she was going from Garrison Mill (her elementary route) to pick up her Lassiter route (so thankfully no students on board). She had the green light as she was coming down the hill on Sandy Plains, he turned off of Wigley (red light on his side) right in front of her. She had no time to stop. If my memory serves me right, the car was a large SUV, a Suburban or Tahoe. A vehicle that gave the false impression that they were safe.

If that dad would have put his kids on the bus, they would still be with us.

There are numerous arguments for putting your kids on the bus, but safety for their well being should rise to the top. One of the posters here made the list of arguments that these parents use of why they think it is better to drive their children to school. I think it boils down to these parents wanting to be in control of all circumstances and wrongly thinking that if they are driving their kids, they are safer than on a bus. The tragic case I mention above is proof that this is not so.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
After driving a Cobb County bus for five years in the early 90s, will make my pitch for putting your children on the bus: they are exponentially safer on a school bus than in a private vehicle.

Kids are so much safer on a bus than in a parent's car. Does anyone remember the dad rushing his kids to school on a foggy day and pulling out in front of a bus at the intersection of Wigley Road and Sandy Plains Road? This was a few years back, but I remember both children lost their lives and perhaps the father as well. The bus driver was uninjured physically, but had to take a leave of absense for some time. Not sure if she could go back. I knew her from my bus driving days, a wonderful, caring, completely conscientious lady. The dad pulled out straight in front of her as she was going from Garrison Mill (her elementary route) to pick up her Lassiter route (so thankfully no students on board). She had the green light as she was coming down the hill on Sandy Plains, he turned off of Wigley (red light on his side) right in front of her. She had no time to stop. If my memory serves me right, the car was a large SUV, a Suburban or Tahoe. A vehicle that gave the false impression that they were safe.

If that dad would have put his kids on the bus, they would still be with us.

There are numerous arguments for putting your kids on the bus, but safety for their well being should rise to the top. One of the posters here made the list of arguments that these parents use of why they think it is better to drive their children to school. I think it boils down to these parents wanting to be in control of all circumstances and wrongly thinking that if they are driving their kids, they are safer than on a bus. The tragic case I mention above is proof that this is not so.
Amen.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:07 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 208happystreet View Post
There are very valid reasons why some parents drive their kids to school..

1) Before school activities that they would not be able to partake in because the bus arrives to school after the activity commences.

2) Buses can have behavioral problems and or bullying when there is one driver with 50 or so kids who can only view them in the rear view mirror.

3) In the summer months, many of these buses lack air conditioning and driving around in an auto in 100 degree weather is nothing short of misery. I don't know anyone who drives around themselves in blazing heat without their air on but we subject our children to it.

4) Depending on your subdivisions bus schedule and what bus load a lot of time is wasted that can be used more productively. I don't see the point of getting to school 45 minutes before it commences to twittle your thumbs at the price of less sleep for elementary school children. Nor do I see the advantage of a middle schooler getting home at 5:00PM, its a late day already especially if they are involved in an after school activity, have to do homework and have a snack and dinner.

5) A bus drops off a kid at the bus stop whether or not there parent is there. If you live in a place either where there are no other kids or you are not social with your neighbors either because you are new and don't know them or what not and you have an emergency your child is left to fend for themselves. Whereas if you pick them up at school, in the event of an emergency you know your child is safe until you get there.

6) The child may not attend the school in which they are zoned for and hence do not receive bus service.

7) A parent may need to pick up their child to get to an afterschool activity or Dr's appointment on time.

Now obviously buses work for many families but one size doesn't fit all. How many people use mass transit to get to work? I find interesting people complaining about this when we have roads that don't interconnect to other subdivisions and I hear no one complaining about that, and I don't see a cry for mass transit in Atlanta.
Brilliant summary! Packing a small child into a jammed cattle car like school bus with up to 60 kids for an hour a day is child abuse!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:46 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Brilliant summary! Packing a small child into a jammed cattle car like school bus with up to 60 kids for an hour a day is child abuse!
Anyone who actually thought this would have to be a home-schooler, since the public school day tends to involve being "packed" into auditoriums, gymnasiums, classrooms and cafeterias with lots of other kids. Also on school buses when they go on field trips.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post

Old 03-23-2010, 12:04 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Anyone who actually thought this would have to be a home-schooler, since the public school day tends to involve being "packed" into auditoriums, gymnasiums, classrooms and cafeterias with lots of other kids. Also on school buses when they go on field trips.
Or a troll....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: