Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:39 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,312,458 times

Advertisements

Even worse, the Metropolitan Atlanta region will likely choke on its own fumes, traffic gridlock will be ever present in all directions from sun-up to sun-down, AND big businesses will pull out and find a home in upstarts like Charlotte, SC....which will likely include NCR, the vaunted prize that our current goober-natorial state executive so execessively self-congratulates himself over recruiting.

Pretty soon Georgia will be back to subsistence farming as a way of survival. Yay for conservatism, yaaaay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I bet if Marta stop letting CCT and GCT get a free transfer to Marta from there systems, things might change a bit when it comes to funding. The sad part is, im sure if you search these forum you will find that in 2008 we were discussing Marta not getting funding and going where people need it to go and probably in 2020 will will still be discussing this same issue, assuming GRTA does take over in the future when marta goes broke. There comes a point in which if the service is too infrequent, people will just drive or save up for a car and skip marta all together.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:40 PM

37 posts, read 74,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
At some point, rural Georgia is going to have to understand that Atlanta is THE driving force of Georgia's economy. As we go, they go.

If nothing else, why won't they just release the 50/50 expenditure requirement? That wouldn't increase taxes by one dime!
Those people don't care about abstract concepts like economy. Georgia existed long before modern Atlanta and part of it's culture is a reflection of an agricultural past. They may or may not go as Atlanta goes. I'm not making a value judgement, just a little context.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:44 PM

37 posts, read 74,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Even worse, the Metropolitan Atlanta region will likely choke on its own fumes, traffic gridlock will be ever present in all directions from sun-up to sun-down, AND big businesses will pull out and find a home in upstarts like Charlotte, SC....
All of that is already happening to a degree.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:45 PM

969 posts, read 1,960,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backinblac View Post
Those people don't care about abstract concepts like economy. Georgia existed long before modern Atlanta and part of it's culture is a reflection of an agricultural past. They may or may not go as Atlanta goes. I'm not making a value judgement, just a little context.
I understand, but you can't hold on to the past. Georgia, like any other place, should try to preserve its culture and history, but at the same time the state is also home to one of the top 10 biggest metro areas in the country and it needs to understand how important Atlanta really is!!

Old 04-20-2010, 02:55 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,373,515 times
It sounds like it's time for MARTA to get radical. Refuse to accept free transfers from CCT, GCT & GRTA. Spend the money in the reserve fund on operations while not only thumbing their nose at the State, sue them for good measure. Enough is enough.

Hopefully, this will hit the national news big time. Perhaps these goobers can be shamed into doing the right thing if it threatens their precious development-at-all-costs model, or our supposed "image" when it comes to attracting corporations. Shame would appear to be all we have left - until November, that is.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:56 PM

314 posts, read 639,852 times
This makes me so upset. The article in the nytimes summed it up pretty well... Marta is the 9th largest transit system in the country, and the only one not to receive funding from the state its located in.

Atlanta Rally Leads Protests of Transportation Cuts - NYTimes.com

I have no idea how Atlanta got to be such an amazing city with such an undermining and short-sighted group of people fighting its success tooth and nail all these years. Just imagine how great it, and its institutions, would be if they weren't so resented by the rest of the state (which happens to benefit from its existence, whether it knows it or not).

Last edited by spotch; 04-20-2010 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM

314 posts, read 639,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Solution is simple. Raise fares and those who use the service can pay for it instead of taxpayers. Problem solved.

Lets get rid of the fire department while we're at it. We can all just buy really big hoses! I think we should stop having the government fund medical research too... I mean I don't have cancer, and if I did, and I wanted to live badly enough, I would just pay someone to cure it for me!

*brushes hands off* problem solved!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 PM

969 posts, read 1,960,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Even worse, the Metropolitan Atlanta region will likely choke on its own fumes, traffic gridlock will be ever present in all directions from sun-up to sun-down, AND big businesses will pull out and find a home in upstarts like Charlotte, SC....which will likely include NCR, the vaunted prize that our current goober-natorial state executive so execessively self-congratulates himself over recruiting.

Pretty soon Georgia will be back to subsistence farming as a way of survival. Yay for conservatism, yaaaay...
LOL I get what you're saying, but honestly Charlotte, NC (not SC) is not a threat. I'm from Charlotte, and Atlanta has a lot more going for it and a lot more to offer. Don't get confused by all the hype in Charlotte: Many of the highways are still two lane each way rural highways, rural roads carrying urban/suburban traffic, outdated interchanges, and a 9 mile light rail line. Mass transit is the only thing holding Atlanta back and I feel certain something will happen in the next few years.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:15 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,589 times
What is the penalty if MARTA decided to just ignore the 50/50 rule? I mean it's not like the state can take away its funding.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:17 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,714,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
What is the penalty if MARTA decided to just ignore the 50/50 rule? I mean it's not like the state can take away its funding.
LOL....

That is true...Guess, we have to dig into the law one of these days for the penalty stature.

I saw alot of the busses today with the X on them. I saw one with the x in the window but most of the rest was the big X on the outside..

Funny thing, the X remind me of the V show on ABC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta