Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,318,048 times

Advertisements

Please see stats below. Atlanta's population has grown at a rate faster than Dallas and Houston. But its private sector employment growth has been closer to that of northeastern cities. This disparity between Atlanta's population growth and employment growth is enormous (this seems to be the case throughout the 2000s, not just after the recent job losses).

One thought I have is that -- Policy makers probably need to work very hard to solve quality of life issues (especially transportation) in Atlanta, to make it an attractive option for employers. In the sunbelt, TX perhaps has a natural advantage (with or without Quality of Life issues being addressed).

Looking to hear analysis/opinion from others.

---
Atlanta
10 year population increase: +28.89%
10 year private sector employment % change: -4.2%

Houston
10 year population increase: +24.43%
10 year private sector employment % change: 10.7%

Dallas
10 year population increase: +24.92%
10 year private sector employment % change: 1.1%

Philadelphia
10 year population increase: +4.94%
10 year private sector employment % change: -3.3%

Boston:
10 year population increase: +4.49%
10 year private sector employment % change: -6.5%

Employment stats from:
Business First of Buffalo: At least Buffalo is not Detroit
(same organization as Atlanta Business Chronicle)

Population stats from:
Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 11:50 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
I think a lot of Atlanta's population growth since 2000 has been fueled by both natural disasters and housing crises in nearby states. After the 2004 and 2005 hurricane seasons, many people from Florida and Louisiana moved to Atlanta to get away from them. The housing crisis in Florida also benefited Atlanta to a degree. Conversely, Delta Airlines has shed lots of jobs since declaring bankruptcy in 2001, and many large banks in Atlanta were taken over by other banks.

Basically, Atlanta is sort of becoming a victim of its own success. It has an enviable brand equity, which is why lots of people move there. Unfortunately, the business reality in Atlanta hasn't lived up to the brand equity since 2000, and if this continues, then I expect growth to slow down this coming decade. It won't come to a screeching halt like it has in cities like Phoenix, but if job growth doesn't improve, then the population trends will eventually have to reflect this more closely. It's possible that natural increase and international immigration might be the only components of population growth in Atlanta this decade if job growth continues to lag.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Atlanta has up to 52 Headquarters and thousands of jobs coming here

Old 05-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Basically, Atlanta is sort of becoming a victim of its own success. It has an enviable brand equity, which is why lots of people move there. Unfortunately, the business reality in Atlanta hasn't lived up to the brand equity since 2000, and if this continues, then I expect growth to slow down this coming decade. It won't come to a screeching halt like it has in cities like Phoenix, but if job growth doesn't improve, then the population trends will eventually have to reflect this more closely. It's possible that natural increase and international immigration might be the only components of population growth in Atlanta this decade if job growth continues to lag.
Phoenix's stat is interesting. There was an actual gain in private sector employment, but the population swelled by a third in the past decade!
10 year population increase: +34.20%
10 year private sector employment % change: 6.4%

I think Atlanta's future success will depend on its "Quality of growth" (business increase), and not so much on the quantity of growth (population increase).

Old 05-05-2010, 10:08 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Is this Atlanta or metro Atlanta? If the city of Atlanta, then this is all moot because most of the employment is in the core suburbs.

Keep in mind that children don't work. Many stay-at-home parents don't work or are self-employed.

Much of the new development was residential. On the other hand, most of the commercial buildings in Atlanta were built in the 90s or earlier. Aside from a few exceptions, more high-density residences are what's new (along with some associated coffee shops, gardners etc, which don't employ many people).

Anyway, labor is a market. What happened could be a sign that the labor pool was too small in the past and had to grow to accommodate new businesses.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Is this Atlanta or metro Atlanta? If the city of Atlanta, then this is all moot because most of the employment is in the core suburbs.
This must be for the metro, as the number of pvt sector jobs is in the 2 million range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Anyway, labor is a market. What happened could be a sign that the labor pool was too small in the past and had to grow to accommodate new businesses.
You make a very valid point, and it made me think of this a bit differently. I looked at the data, and what I get is that --

10 yrs back Atlanta had 2.13 people per pvt sector job (4,247,981 people, 1,998,500 jobs). This is probably indicative of a red hot job market. Anyone with a pulse gets a job.

Today Atlanta has 2.86 people per pvt sector job (5,475,213 people, 1,913,700 jobs). This is probably indicative of a more mature job market. I suppose there is no cause for alarm. But when I checked against a few other cities, Atlanta's ratio was slightly on the higher side.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:40 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
stop putting on

Old 05-05-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
stop putting on
I think his 52 headquarter statement is based on:

"The state Department of Economic Development confirmed that it has 52 headquarters projects in its pipeline of economic development deals. The headquarters represent the potential for 20,518 new jobs for the state and $216 billion in investment, according to the department."
Atlanta̢۪s in the sweet spot for corporate locations - Atlanta Business Chronicle:

However I am not sure that the above blurb translates to :
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta