Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 PM

18 posts, read 59,225 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Atlanta but have moved several times and I would prefer for my next move to be permanent and I want to go back to college and settle down and see if I can stay in one spot for more than a year. I would like to find an apartment between 500 and 800 a month. I will be transferring with my job from Phoenix, AZ. I've lived in Memphis and if Atlanta is anywhere near as bad as that please tell me now. Haha. Hmm what else. I will have a vehicle, not much into public transit so not a big deal. I dont want to live right near the city. Not much of a party girl and my schedule is kinda crazy. I did move to Memphis for the music though, and was totally bummed about what I got instead so tell me how the music scene is there. I'm not looking to be in the industry or anything but want to be able to see a good show here and there. Its pretty much I'm moving to Atlanta or Kansas City so checking out the different forums here to gain insight to what you guys experience every day. What is the general attitude of the city? Does the Georgia State University have a good reputation? I'm just starting to research the school now but if any students happen to come on here I'd like to hear about it. I suppose thats enough for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 09:21 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,100 times
I love it here. Cheap cost of living, nice weather, ALWAYS something to do especially shows, great shopping, beautiful skyline, plenty of festivals, etc.

Apartments
Atlanta Apartments for Rent - Equity Apartments 12:00:00 AM

Old 05-12-2010, 09:24 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
I can promise you that Atlanta is nothing like Memphis.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,069,284 times
The music scene here is a little sub-par IMO. But then again, I moved here after living in Nashville for 20 years so I was a little spoiled.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:16 AM

143 posts, read 346,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
The music scene here is a little sub-par IMO. But then again, I moved here after living in Nashville for 20 years so I was a little spoiled.
Well, it really depends on what kind of music she's looking for. Atlanta is a major, major city in the US music industry, but just like Nashville, it doesn't make all types of music in equal amounts. I'd probably want to rip my hair out over the music scene in Nashville, but that's because it's very heavy on the sort of music that I never listen to.

I had a roommate in Athens for several years that was from Memphis, and from the impression I got based on her stories about it, Atlanta is leaps and bounds ahead. There are plenty parts of the city that are perfectly safe, but it doesn't seem like that's so much the case with Memphis - I think revitalization there is pretty far behind what has happened in Atlanta.

If you're trying to decide between Atlanta and Kansas City, I've got to say that that sort of seems like a no-brainer. Atlanta is a much, much larger city (our metro area is about 2.5 times as populous, according to a quick Google) that is going to be more culturally diverse and, IMO, more interesting to live in. I've admittedly never been to KC, but it seems like it would be a little Memphis-y to me - not dangerous, but kinda boring.

Atlanta has a populous that tends to skew younger than average, which is great if you're a young professional, which it seems like you are (although you didn't include your age.) I went to the University of Georgia, not GSU, so I can't comment on them as a school, plus it would probably be helpful to know what program(s) you're looking at before recommending a university.

You're probably going to be at the high end of your budget if you're looking for a one-bedroom, but not wanting to be super close to the city will help with that. If you have a vehicle, being a bit outside the city shouldn't be a problem - public transportation is somewhat lacking here anyway.

I'd say give us a try - have you visited?

Old 05-13-2010, 12:27 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post

You must like Country music

Old 05-13-2010, 06:28 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,571,048 times
Try Kansas City its less competition there, less people. With your personality, you will do better there.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:37 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,069,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
You must like Country music
It's ok. I said what I said because Nashville really just knows how to do local live music. My fave genre is indie and Nashville had an abundance of that. Don't take it personally though. Nashville's music scene was better than Chicago's too. It ranks up there with New York and LA.

Believe it or not though, country music isn't Nashville's largest genre anymore. Pop/rock is with usually around 75 live show listing's/week vs country's 40 or so listings. Country is what Nashville is famous for and the city is having trouble shaking that honky tonk image despite the "Music City" branding and all of that.
Nashville Scene | Events | Music

Atlanta is paradise though if you like Hip Hop/R&B. It easily ranks up there with New York as well in that arena. Atlanta also has a few good new wave artists around here and there. You just have to look a bit harder. Honestly though, I can't imagine Kansas City having a better music scene than Atlanta. Though, the cost of living there is probably a bit less.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 AM

18 posts, read 59,225 times
Yes I am 22 and I have a great job that pays really well. Sorry I didnt mention that. I'm not much worried about competition because i'm not competitive, I just worry about myself.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:24 PM

128 posts, read 215,348 times
GSU is an awesome research university that is very much diverse. I have many friends who are graduating from there this fall, and they all transferred from other major colleges to attend GSU.

Now, housing isnt really all that much of an issue. Since you might wanna live outside the city, thats a good bet. Id try the dunwoody area, smyrna, cobb, or perhaps Apharettta areas for apartments. You'd be suprised at what kind of deal you can get.

Atlanta, is by far LIGHT years ahead of Memphis. Not nearly as grungy or as much criminal element to deal with. Traffic can be horrible at times, but our transit system isnt THAT bad, (I ride it everyday to my school from Buckhead to Sandy Springs......) We actually have trains (real subway trains) and they are quite fast. With you commuting everyday, Id give MARTA rail a try. Parking can be a real hassle at your school.

I think you will love atl. Its a vibrant, healthy, progressive metro with tons of things to do. However, you wanna make the most of Atl, get to know some friends here. Atl is sorta social-circle centered, so alot of perks you come across in atl are all about whom you know and how. But were friendly down here, and if youve got a great personality, you will do awesome here.

Also, I should mention that there are plenty of intown areas that would be perfect for you as well, such as Midtown West (Howell Station, Marietta St.,Atlantic Station, Defoors Ferry), East Atlanta (Inman Park, Lil Five Points, Candler Park, Ansley Park, Poncey Highland,) , Druid Hills, Morningside, Virginia Highlands, Rock Springs Road,and of course Buckhead. (I listed those communities so you could google em for yourself). In advance, welcome to Atlanta. Its lovely down here!

(p.s.-You might wanna stay away from these areas though.....Campbellton Rd, Old Nat'l Highway, West End, Bankhead, Hollywood Road, Bolton Road, South Atl, Cleveland Ave,.....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta