Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:06 AM

12 posts, read 29,394 times

Advertisements

- We had the Olympics
- Largest Airport in the World
- More new developments are coming to the city (SOB, Aerotropolis, Town Brookhaven, Doraville Redevelopment, etc)
- One of the cheapest large cities to live
- Ranked Top #5 in Future job growth
- Best looking AA women in America
- Best music scene in America
- Top 5 skylines in America
- Best colleges in America are here
- Not cold in the winters here like in other cities
- People are nicer here
- Ga was ranked #3 in movie production last year
- Every AA Celeb owns a crib here
- Only city that has besides one other that has $500k+ All AA neighborhoods
- Safer city compared to other cities
- You can still purchase a large home in the suburbs for $200k
- Several new museums are coming to the city (Health Museum, Civil Rights, Football HOA, etc)
- Lots of festivals, concerts, etc.

Best city in America, IMO Wish we had a beach. Once all these new developments are complete this will be a lovely city

Last edited by peachstate; 06-08-2010 at 06:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 06:28 AM

126 posts, read 317,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachstate View Post
- We had the Olympics
- More new developments are coming to the city (SOB, Aerotropolis, Town Brookhaven, Doraville Redevelopment, etc)
- People are nicer here
- Several new museums are coming to the city (Health Museum, Civil Rights, Football HOA, etc)

Best city in America, IMO
Not to be a negative nancy, but half of those reasons are opinionated or irrelevant.

More new developments --> 'More' than what?
Best looking AA women in America --> Opinion
Best music scene in America --> Opinion, and most of this country would probably disagree with you. Nashville, Austin, or Memphis have better shots of pulling that off than Atlanta (in my opinion).
Top 5 skylines in America --> Opinion
Best colleges in America --> Seriously? Ga Tech is good (not great), and other than that, which school can you really put on a list of top schools in the country?
Not cold in the winters --> Cold is relative. When I see people walking around with winter jackets on in May, it's not helping that claim.
Top 3 in movie production --> How does this contribute to Atlanta being a top city?
Every AA celeb owns a crib here --> Why does that even matter?
Safer City --> Seriously? I know there are worse cities, but I wouldn't characterize it as a 'Safer Large City'. That is reserved for places like Denver, San Fran, etc.
500k+ All AA neighborhood --> Glad that segregation doesn't exist anymore...

Old 06-08-2010, 06:35 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachstate View Post
- We had the Olympics
- People are nicer here

Best city in America, IMO

I like this.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akress View Post
Not to be a negative nancy, but half of those reasons are opinionated or irrelevant.

More new developments --> 'More' than what?
Best looking AA women in America --> Opinion
Best music scene in America --> Opinion, and most of this country would probably disagree with you. Nashville, Austin, or Memphis have better shots of pulling that off than Atlanta (in my opinion).
Top 5 skylines in America --> Opinion
Best colleges in America --> Seriously? Ga Tech is good (not great), and other than that, which school can you really put on a list of top schools in the country?
Not cold in the winters --> Cold is relative. When I see people walking around with winter jackets on in May, it's not helping that claim.
Top 3 in movie production --> How does this contribute to Atlanta being a top city?
Every AA celeb owns a crib here --> Why does that even matter?
Safer City --> Seriously? I know there are worse cities, but I wouldn't characterize it as a 'Safer Large City'. That is reserved for places like Denver, San Fran, etc.
500k+ All AA neighborhood --> Glad that segregation doesn't exist anymore...
You,

Georgia Tech is great. That school in Druid Hills called Emory? Don't forget Spelman, Morehouse, etc, etc, etc.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akress View Post

More new developments --> 'More' than what? (Most other cities)
Best looking AA women in America --> Opinion (Fact)
Best music scene in America --> Opinion, and most of this country would probably disagree with you. Nashville, Austin, or Memphis have better shots of pulling that off than Atlanta (in my opinion). (Fact, name a city (outside of NY) with more artist, producers, gold/platinum records, concerts, etc)
Top 5 skylines in America --> Opinion (1. NY, 2. Chi, 3. Mia, 4. Philly 5. Atl)
Best colleges in America --> Seriously? Ga Tech is good (not great), and other than that, which school can you really put on a list of top schools in the country? (Emory, Morehouse, Ga State)
Not cold in the winters --> Cold is relative. When I see people walking around with winter jackets on in May, it's not helping that claim. (Fact)
Top 3 in movie production --> How does this contribute to Atlanta being a top city? (More jobs, More Entertainment, More Opportunity, etc)
Every AA celeb owns a crib here --> Why does that even matter? (Yes because there are cities here and all across the world but they choose to move here)
Safer City --> Seriously? I know there are worse cities, but I wouldn't characterize it as a 'Safer Large City'. That is reserved for places like Denver, San Fran, etc. (San Fran is not safe with all those child molesters, drug addicts, etc)
500k+ All AA neighborhood --> Glad that segregation doesn't exist anymore...(Segregation surely exist is Denver, Seattle, Boston, etc)

Old 06-08-2010, 06:58 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I applaud the OP for actually trying to present something positive about this city, but expect in response the usual tiresome Troll-O-Rama before day's end.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 AM

37 posts, read 64,342 times
- We had the Olympics -Okay
- Largest Airport in the World - Busiest airport in the world and about 60% of the passengers are making connections, not actually arriving or leaving Atlanta
- More new developments are coming to the city (SOB, Aerotropolis, Town Brookhaven, Doraville Redevelopment, etc) - more than what?
- One of the cheapest large cities to live - yes it is - for now, until they tax the heck out of everything in order to balance their messed-up, corrupt budget
- Ranked Top #5 in Future job growth - by whom?
- Best looking AA women in America - as a straight woman, I really couldn't care less about this
- Best music scene in America - this is highly, highly debatable!
- Top 5 skylines in America - okay, that's your opinion, can't argue with that
- Best colleges in America are here - lol really? Have you ever heard of, say, Harvard? Yale? NYU? Columbia? Emory is a good school and GA Tech is a good school, but I would hardly call them the "best colleges in America"
- Not cold in the winters here like in other cities - like which cities? Miami?
- People are nicer here - lol this is also debatable
- Ga was ranked #3 in movie production last year - so what?
- Every AA Celeb owns a crib here - who over the age of 18 actually cares about something like this?
- Only city that has besides one other that has $500k+ All AA neighborhoods - Why am I supposed to care about this?
- Safer city compared to other cities - and more dangerous compared to many cities too. Definitely more dangerous than NYC and LA
- You can still purchase a large home in the suburbs for $200k - this is a good thing too, I agree with this.
- Several new museums are coming to the city (Health Museum, Civil Rights, Football HOA, etc) - Health Museum vs. the Metropolitan Museum of Art? Civil Rights museum vs. the Smithsonian? Football HOA(?) vs. Museum of Science and Industry?
- Lots of festivals, concerts, etc. - ok, but not more than other major cities

Best city in America, IMO Wish we had a beach. Once all these new developments are complete this will be a lovely city

Atlanta is a nice city in many ways, but it's a HUGE stretch to call it the best city in America. But hey, everyone has their priorities and to each his own.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:04 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
(Fact, name a city (outside of NY) with more artist, producers, gold/platinum records, concerts, etc)

Uh, Los Angeles.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I applaud the OP for actually trying to present something positive about this city, but expect in response the usual tiresome Troll-O-Rama before day's end.

Right on, Lady Lovin.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahitiblue View Post
- We had the Olympics -Okay
- Largest Airport in the World - Busiest airport in the world and about 60% of the passengers are making connections, not actually arriving or leaving Atlanta (Like I said, we have the LARGEST airport in the world)
- More new developments are coming to the city (SOB, Aerotropolis, Town Brookhaven, Doraville Redevelopment, etc) - more than what? (Other cities)
- One of the cheapest large cities to live - yes it is - for now, until they tax the heck out of everything in order to balance their messed-up, corrupt budget (When will that happen? Never)
- Ranked Top #5 in Future job growth - by whom? (check yahoo)
- Best looking AA women in America - as a straight woman, I really couldn't care less about this (I care about it)
- Best music scene in America - this is highly, highly debatable! (Not really, check the facts)
- Top 5 skylines in America - okay, that's your opinion, can't argue with that
- Best colleges in America are here - lol really? Have you ever heard of, say, Harvard? Yale? NYU? Columbia? Emory is a good school and GA Tech is a good school, but I would hardly call them the "best colleges in America" (Didnt say that, I said some of the best schools are in Atlanta)
- Not cold in the winters here like in other cities - like which cities? Miami? (NYC, DC, Chicago, etc)
- People are nicer here - lol this is also debatable (We are, the people that move here may not be)
- Ga was ranked #3 in movie production last year - so what?(More jobs)
- Every AA Celeb owns a crib here - who over the age of 18 actually cares about something like this? (The same people who care about the Real Housewives and the same people who care about LA celeb gossip)
- Only city that has besides one other that has $500k+ All AA neighborhoods - Why am I supposed to care about this? (No other city has this)
- Safer city compared to other cities - and more dangerous compared to many cities too. Definitely more dangerous than NYC and LA (Not really.. Safer than most large cities)
- You can still purchase a large home in the suburbs for $200k - this is a good thing too, I agree with this.
- Several new museums are coming to the city (Health Museum, Civil Rights, Football HOA, etc) - Health Museum vs. the Metropolitan Museum of Art? Civil Rights museum vs. the Smithsonian? Football HOA(?) vs. Museum of Science and Industry?

- Lots of festivals, concerts, etc. - ok, but not more than other major cities (More concerts than cities the same size as Atl)

Atlanta is a nice city in many ways, but it's a HUGE stretch to call it the best city in America. But hey, everyone has their priorities and to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta