Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:39 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,223,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Sorry...skipped over the "used" part. My bad.
If he could find a good USED R8 for, say, $60K I'd recommend that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 08:03 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,171,959 times
I think most of the cars mentioned can be found used, "certified pre-owned" if you want, or just buy them from the original owner - overall IMHO a better deal than buying a new S4. I don't think the S4 has changed all that radically in the last few years.

One thing I will say is that some of these Audi's are a bear to work on, for example having to take the front end tin all off to do a timing belt/water pump service. That and some of the front end suspensions are known to not last very long and again a bear to work on/expensive parts.

For less than half the OP's budget he can get one of the very best "real" M3's around, for a fun car it's hard to beat if you don't want to spend for an F-car. Well cared for, it won't lose any value, and may go up.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think most of the cars mentioned can be found used, "certified pre-owned" if you want, or just buy them from the original owner - overall IMHO a better deal than buying a new S4. I don't think the S4 has changed all that radically in the last few years.
A major recent change is a shift from the 4.2L V8 to the 3.0L blown V6. This apparently has improved driving dynamics by improving the weight distribution -- less weight over the snout and in particular less weight in front of the front axle.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 AM

127 posts, read 327,011 times
Hey guys thank you all for the helpful replies. I'm kinda leaning toward a cpo m5 or Audi s8 if I can find one. My question though are those cars still fun considering how heavy they are? And to better help you out the most I'm willing to spend is 75k.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
Well those cars are definitely in a different league than the S4. As for whether they can be fun, a lot of people find them so. Depends on what sort of driving dynamics you expect from a sports car. You won't mistake an M5 for a Lamborghini Gallardo, but you won't mistake it for a Lincoln Town Car either. The best way to answer the question for yourself is test-driving.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,171,081 times
Would also consider leasing a new Merc C63; test-drive any car on some interesting rds (both fast urban fwys and challenging twisties (if any nearby)...and bumpy urban roads) to really judge....lots of famous, costly cars may be fun on a dry, smooth track in Podunk but are worthless in real world

Very enjoyable exhaust note upon start-up and at any speed; strong NA tq (more tq at lower RPM than Ferrari's NA V12 599); Merc safety; anecdotally excellent reliability; daily-useability for urban commuting and wkend fun; stealth factor of a sedate-looking small MB both at office and vs cops....hand back car at end of 2-3 yr lease for another new AMG...only real maintenance costs are tires and oil changes

My sense from AMG addicts in snow regions is that proper winter tires make AMGs fully capable for daily winter use in NYC or Chicago vs any AWD (which also needs winter, not all-season, tires for decent braking/handling in cold or snow)

Old 02-03-2010, 05:49 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,580,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If he could find a good USED R8 for, say, $60K I'd recommend that!
lol You should go up to Roger Beasley in Austin and offer them that on a nice used one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi