Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2010, 04:14 PM

127 posts, read 424,230 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

We are hoping to move to Augusta from Knoxville Tennessee for a residency. We have a 3 year old and a dog. We have always ended up living in areas that are more artistic; areas with personality, (i.e. No Homeowners Associations, Cookie cutter homes, etc.) but we are open to living anywhere that is nice and safe. I was hoping that I could get some advice on what areas are safe/not safe and are family friendly areas with good preschools. I would be working at the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center and hope for an easy commute. Any and all info about any areas would be greatly appreciated.

We would be looking for a home to rent
(2bd/2ba at least) for $1000 or less per month, is this feasible? My husband has experience in personal training, management, and serving, are people hiring in these areas?

Many thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 06:56 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,351,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCStudent View Post
Hey All,

We are hoping to move to Augusta from Knoxville Tennessee for a residency. We have a 3 year old and a dog. We have always ended up living in areas that are more artistic; areas with personality, (i.e. No Homeowners Associations, Cookie cutter homes, etc.) but we are open to living anywhere that is nice and safe. I was hoping that I could get some advice on what areas are safe/not safe and are family friendly areas with good preschools. I would be working at the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center and hope for an easy commute. Any and all info about any areas would be greatly appreciated.

We would be looking for a home to rent
(2bd/2ba at least) for $1000 or less per month, is this feasible? My husband has experience in personal training, management, and serving, are people hiring in these areas?

Many thanks!!!
No commute is really bad. I lived in Evans and it was very nice. There are also good areas in West Augusta and North Augusta that will be even closer..my wife, who worked near the VA, had a commute of about 30 minutes one-way.

I *believe* you could get a 2 bed/2 bath for about that price-I am renting out my house for $1,250 a month and it's a 4-bedroom.

However, I'd drop the expectations of all the 'arty' stuff from a rental. If you want safe and family friendly and a separate house, at that price point, you will probably end up in a subdivision with an HOA and the dreaded 'cookie cutter'. Not sure if that matters, if you are not buying-it's not like you're going to spend the rest of your life there.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:14 AM

127 posts, read 424,230 times
Thanks. It is always good to have realistic expectations going in. I will definatly do some research in those areas.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:06 PM

52 posts, read 110,650 times
Olde Town outside downtown is worth researching. If you want no cookie cutter homes in view. There is a diverse group of neighbors from all walks of life.

Heritage Academy-A unique urban Christian school in Augusta Georgia

Last edited by michelinn; 12-18-2010 at 08:48 PM..

Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,115,918 times
Second the Olde Towne recommendation.... However, the houses around the Central Business District are nice as well.. District 1 commissioner Matt Aitken lives in the CBD and with his wife and young daughter.......

Old 01-23-2011, 12:15 PM

12 posts, read 39,365 times
Just wanted to tell you Tudor Branch is a subdivision that is very close to I20. It is a HOA, but the homes are not cookie cutter and there is a nature trail through out and a pool for you. The association is new, but it is an active community with lots of neighbor interaction, which is hard to find these days... anyways, it might be worth checking out... I have 3 boys and love the neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area