Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times

Advertisements

This photo was taken from an ad in a Georgia Baptist magazine dated 1972, for First Railroad Bank and Trust (I think) in Augusta ... the chairman of the bank was a member of 1st Baptist Augusta (apparently) and appealing for Baptists to "bank with us." The building looks pretty impresive for the times but doesn't resemble anything I've seen in Augusta ... was it remodeled?

Is this building still in Augusta?-garrb-t.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 01:15 PM

998 posts, read 1,550,731 times
Yep, built in the 60's. Sits at 7th and Broad Street I think... called the Wells Fargo Tower now.

That's it in the left of this picture.

Augusta Ga. Skyline from the Riverwalk | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ourviewphotography/3370868021/ - broken link)

Old 10-05-2011, 03:57 PM

120 posts, read 227,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
Yep, built in the 60's. Sits at 7th and Broad Street I think... called the Wells Fargo Tower now.

That's it in the left of this picture.

Augusta Ga. Skyline from the Riverwalk | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ourviewphotography/3370868021/ - broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
This photo was taken from an ad in a Georgia Baptist magazine dated 1972, for First Railroad Bank and Trust (I think) in Augusta ... the chairman of the bank was a member of 1st Baptist Augusta (apparently) and appealing for Baptists to "bank with us." The building looks pretty impresive for the times but doesn't resemble anything I've seen in Augusta ... was it remodeled?

Attachment 85656
I always thought it looked better with " T H E G E O R G I A " on the side in big letters. I hated the day they took it down and replaced with First Union/ Wachovia/ though Wells Fargo signage on there now is an improvement over the other 2.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:33 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
THANKS! I thought that MUST be the same building, but it sure looks like a different facade on the upper floors. That street-level plaza is SOOO '60s I'm sure that's been updated by now. Or not?

BTW: Is that ugly Penthouse thingy the tallest building in Augusta? What is the opinion of that? Shame they destroyed a historic period building with it. Looks like it should fall over in a strong breeze ...

Old 10-05-2011, 05:35 PM

998 posts, read 1,550,731 times
I know it's been renovated inside since then, maybe some minor updating outside... it is 50 years old, so it's not going to look like a brand new penny however.

Yea... the Lamar building appears to be two buildings in one. The addition to the top is definitely in sharp contrast to the rest of it's floors. The inside of the building is beautiful but the penthouse on top is up for debate depending on who you ask. Either you love it or you hate it. It's all I've ever known the building to be as i'm 28 and never knew the Lamar building in its former fashion. Nice piece of Augusta history though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area