Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:18 PM

614 posts, read 1,102,199 times

Advertisements

With no announcements of any company planning on making a large impact downtown, is GHSU-ASU Augusta's best chance of spurring downtown development? For the first time in a long time, Augusta has an institution that has the money and the need for land to expand. Where they decide to build will impact the land around it and Augusta for years to come. It has been a long time since I've been excited about realistic changes for Augusta. No more pipe dream projects like the Ball park or trolley. I feel like Augusta has caught its second wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 11:03 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,110,286 times
What do you consider big? Rural Sourcing is bringing 100 IT jobs downtown... I do think the merger will provide the opportunity to bring additional residents, foot traffic, and new construction downtown and to the Medical District...

Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 PM

937 posts, read 1,802,210 times
I think people think of high foot traffic, high rises, and fancy streets.... think GSU area in Atlanta, but of course on a smaller version in Augusta.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:15 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,390,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
With no announcements of any company planning on making a large impact downtown, is GHSU-ASU Augusta's best chance of spurring downtown development? For the first time in a long time, Augusta has an institution that has the money and the need for land to expand. Where they decide to build will impact the land around it and Augusta for years to come. It has been a long time since I've been excited about realistic changes for Augusta. No more pipe dream projects like the Ball park or trolley. I feel like Augusta has caught its second wind.
You right I think this will take put augusta over the hump but we still missing a few more pieces. To me this is like JORDAN AND PIPPIN you still need some role player like a Dennis Rodman and Grant. That will bring a another dimension to the area im excited to get two star player to join together but it take team to win. If the city don't build or get them some player we will make it but not far. Because you know like I know once this merger become old news then the excitement go away then the commissioner will be back to their old ways hold augusta back. That why I think we need another player to push the new university and commissioner to keep building and developing and bring new people and businesses then we will win like the bulls that won 6 championship not like bulls that had one go to guy

Old 01-13-2012, 01:57 PM

I know everyone has read the AC by now. It appears that the GHSU-ASU merger is going to get the Ball park built, if Dr. Azziz goes along with it. It seems as though Augusta has found that other star player. My issue now is Baseball is seasonal, what else can we get down there?

Old 01-13-2012, 02:47 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,110,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
I know everyone has read the AC by now. It appears that the GHSU-ASU merger is going to get the Ball park built, if Dr. Azziz goes along with it. It seems as though Augusta has found that other star player. My issue now is Baseball is seasonal, what else can we get down there?
It's a multi-use facility(residential, restaurant, retail, concerts, etc).. I'm sure over the next few months additonal details will come forward..

Old 01-13-2012, 02:55 PM

Please forgive me nort for being vague. The main draw of the multi-use facility is going to be the ballpark. What are the other anchors going to be. Will Belk finally come over the bridge and locate downtown? Could we possibly get a kids museum or D&B? What's going to keep the foot traffic going on downtown besides the facility, TEE, and Symphony? I just thought about something....... if downtown does boom, what happens to the projects at VAR. Could downtown steal some of the proposed stores like Augusta Mall did? How about Starplex cinemas locating in the CBD?

Old 01-13-2012, 07:35 PM

I was just thinking about a couple good names for the new university tell what you think of Two State University or just Two State College

Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 AM

Downtown Augusta stadium plan gains new life
"I believe you could probably get a football field in there, is what they tell me,” Russell said. Azziz denied rumors Thursday that the new university would have a football team, saying, "We're not going to have a football team."

Downtown Augusta stadium plan gains new life | Mobile Augusta

Old 01-14-2012, 02:04 AM

I think we'll get a football team. Just not in the near future. It can go at the site of WTP. Maybe it'll spark development along I-20 on the other side of best buy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area