Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2007, 08:44 AM

12 posts, read 18,500 times

Advertisements

It sounds like I am in the right place at the right time. I purchase upwards of 3-5 houses a month in the CSRA, yes in Augusta too! The market has never been better to purchase homes. What do you do when stocks are low? You buy! What do you do when stocks are high? You sell! It is no different in the real estate market. You doomsdayers are going to miss the boat. My question is if Augusta and the surrounding areas are so terrible, why do you stay? Let me know when you leave, I will buy your house too. It is things like these postings and listening to the media that causes unecessary panic. But if you are willing to fall prey with the masses, I will be standing ready to scoop all of your "bad investments".

Old 12-08-2007, 09:40 AM

140 posts, read 117,326 times
Welcome to the thread.

Based on your comments, it sounds like you are a real estate agent (or related industry) that agrees that this market is declining. I agree with your statement about buying low and selling high, but timing is the key issue. Since this market has just started its general decline, just like buying declining stocks, it may be (is most likely) too early to buy. Again, I agree with your assessment that there will be some good deals in the next few months. As for the Augusta bashing statement, that is not the primary theme of this thread, I happen to like Augusta.

If you are indeed a real estate professional, I question the objectivity of the following statements:

The market has never been better to purchase homes.

It is things like these postings and listening to the media that causes unnecessary panic. But if you are willing to fall prey with the masses, I will be standing ready to scoop all of your "bad investments".

These statements seem to be subjective and somewhat emotional, rather than a professional opinion.

With your knowledge of the area, you can help this forum by providing local information about the market along with your professional opinion. Who knows, you may even get some business.

Thanks for posting.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:21 PM

38 posts, read 98,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love the Market View Post
It sounds like I am in the right place at the right time. I purchase upwards of 3-5 houses a month in the CSRA, yes in Augusta too! The market has never been better to purchase homes. What do you do when stocks are low? You buy! What do you do when stocks are high? You sell! It is no different in the real estate market. You doomsdayers are going to miss the boat. My question is if Augusta and the surrounding areas are so terrible, why do you stay? Let me know when you leave, I will buy your house too. It is things like these postings and listening to the media that causes unecessary panic. But if you are willing to fall prey with the masses, I will be standing ready to scoop all of your "bad investments".
"doomsdayers"? Quite the contrary. We are potential buyers….just cautious and research oriented. Unfortunately, our caution is elevated by the disastrous actions of speculators and subprimers. If you take the time to read the prior posts in this thread, you would see that.
So…. since you buy so many houses, please share your experiences, so those of us who are interested can play too. I hope “Looking” is correct and you are someone “in the mix” and have something to share! Hope you’re not just another speculator.
I’m a little concerned about the fact that you use terms like “unecessary panic” (sic) so frivolously given the current conditions in the market today. Reality is reality…. You can’t just plant your head in the sand.

Last edited by Redkrayola; 12-08-2007 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: font

Old 12-09-2007, 04:48 AM

25 posts, read 99,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love the Market View Post
My husband and I buy homes in that area; some of which we flip and the others we rent. However, due to the problems we have been having with renting, we have been trying to sell them which has been difficult due to the market.

We are now talking about buying and renting and dealing with the tenants by doing better screenings. This is due to the fact that now, like you said, is the time to buy, wait out the market and then sell if we need to.

Do you buy and flip or do you rent them out? I would like to talk to you about this to see if you have any advice you would like to send my way. If you buy upwards of 3-5 I don't think I am competition for you as that is what my husband and I purchase annually.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:35 AM

38 posts, read 98,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidbits View Post
My husband and I buy homes in that area; some of which we flip and the others we rent. However, due to the problems we have been having with renting, we have been trying to sell them which has been difficult due to the market.

We are now talking about buying and renting and dealing with the tenants by doing better screenings. This is due to the fact that now, like you said, is the time to buy, wait out the market and then sell if we need to.

Do you buy and flip or do you rent them out? I would like to talk to you about this to see if you have any advice you would like to send my way. If you buy upwards of 3-5 I don't think I am competition for you as that is what my husband and I purchase annually.
Hmmm...what is your average price range for your rentals?....both for purchase and the rent you ask?
The reason I’m asking is because if you read my earlier posts, I’m considering doing that when I leave Fort Gordon. I will be zero competition for both of you, I’m just looking to buy one house. Live in it for 2-3 years, then maybe rent it out when I leave….all in hopes of the current conditions eventually correcting themselves. When we get to the point of increasing equity again, I plan to sell. Not looking to be a permanent landlord. Just want to make the smartest move for my time there in the Augusta area. For me, renting just seems like a waste of my money. I really prefer to buy.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:56 PM

"Based on your comments, it sounds like you are a real estate agent (or related industry) that agrees that this market is declining. I agree with your statement about buying low and selling high, but timing is the key issue. Since this market has just started its general decline, just like buying declining stocks, it may be (is most likely) too early to buy. Again, I agree with your assessment that there will be some good deals in the next few months" -Looking for a home

Looking for a home, Thanks for your input. I am not implying that you purchase properties without doing your homework. If you are investing in anything, you need to become very knowledgeable about it. If you intend to buy today and resell in 3 months, I would caution you. If you are looking to purchase your own personal home, now is the time! If you can hang on to the properties for longer term, now is the time to buy. The Augusta and CSRA median home price was an average of 17% below the national average (before the mortgage meltdown). The good news is we have a LONG way to go before we are competing with the areas of the nation that have been hit the hardest with the decline. We did not have the spikes in our appreciation like in other areas that the media focuses on. When you have an area that appreciates superficially 40-50% in the last couple of years, you are bound to have a "crash". Augusta has been fortunate with steady growth. What we are dealing with right now is the general media inflicted panic (which fuels the slow sales). I am not denying that we are experiencing slower sales than a year ago at this time, only not for the same reasons as other areas. You have to consider that we were at our peak a little over a year ago, and it would be hard to compete with those numbers without the unresponsible lending practices. Couple that with every builder in town was mass flooding the market with spec homes because anyone that could fog a mirror was able to get financing. I dont blame them, but they are now hurting as a result of careless speculation as well. That is what has the current inventory of homes in the CSRA at the levels they are at. Once we digest through this excess inventory and the jobs manifest that are in the works (NSA at Ft. Gordon, T-Mobile, FPL Foods, Vogtle expansion) we will be able to see more "normal" housing activity.If only half of the projected new jobs purchase a home, we would immediatley be in a sellers market. Supply and demand is a wonderful thing and fortunately does not act based upon what the media presents. We are poised for a recoery long before most other areas in the nation. We did not have the huge appreciation to come crashing down, we are still well below the national average for housing prices, and the job growth in the future is spectacular. Could things be better? Sure! But we have some of the best ingredients for recovery of any area in the nation. I do in fact consider myself to be a professional in real estate. I am not an agent. I am an investor that reconizes opportunity when it is staring me in the face. I imagine I will pull my head out of the "sand" once the market shifts again, so I can go find another real estate opportunity to invest in. During your research take a look at a historical graph that shows national home values since 1900 to current. There are "dips" and spikes, but over all the graph always goes up! We are currently in a dip.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidbits View Post
I do rentals and flips. It all depends on the location, demand and equity margin in any particular property. I agree that rentals are a nusiance. I do a combination of rental and financing that has worked well. The fact that most people cannot get financing has created much more demand for my "creative" financing. Ideally, I have a buyer lined up before I purchase and close on a property. It doesnt always happen, but certainly lessens the risk. The reason I am so optimistic of our future jobs and home sales rebound, is I am dealing directly with the individuals that are relocating here. I have a database of over 300 relocation individuals (from the last 90 days) looking for particular types of homes. All I have to do is locate their dream home. It is not that difficult when there are so many to choose from on the market.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:13 PM

Sorry "Looking for a home" my previous post to you was intended for "Redkrayola"

Old 12-09-2007, 02:33 PM

383 posts, read 722,947 times
Most expensive homes for sale in metro augusta

Hephzibah beat augusta im surpised

Price: $3,790,000 City: Hephzibah

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 6 Bathrooms: 7
View Details

Price: $2,995,000 City: Augusta

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 7 Bathrooms: 7
View Details

Price: $2,980,000 City: Aiken

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 2 Bathrooms: 2
View Details

Price: $2,750,000 City: Evans

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 7 Bathrooms: 6
View Details

Price: $2,500,000 City: Martinez

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 6 Bathrooms: 7
View Details

Price: $1,999,900 City: Augusta

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 6 Bathrooms: 6
View Details

Price: $1,890,000 City: Evans

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 8 Bathrooms: 8
View Details

Price: $1,870,000 City: Evans

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 6 Bathrooms: 5
View Details

Price: $1,750,000 City: Martinez

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 5 Bathrooms: 6
View Details

Price: $1,485,000 City: Augusta

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 4 Bathrooms: 3
View Details

Price: $1,400,000 City: Lincolnton

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 3 Bathrooms: 2
View Details

Price: $1,375,000 City: Evans

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 4 Bathrooms: 5
View Details

Price: $1,350,000 City: Augusta

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 5 Bathrooms: 3
View Details

Price: $1,350,000 City: Appling

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 3 Bathrooms: 3
View Details

Price: $1,300,000 City: Augusta

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 5 Bathrooms: 4
View Details

Price: $1,288,000 City: Aiken

View Details

Price: $1,250,000 City: Augusta

View Details

Price: $1,249,000 City: Augusta

View Details

Price: $1,225,000 City: Hephzibah

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 6 Bathrooms: 3
View Details

Price: $1,209,000 City: Aiken

View Details

Price: $1,200,000 City: Tybee Island

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 6 Bathrooms: 4
View Details

Price: $1,200,000 City: Augusta

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 6 Bathrooms: 4
View Details

Price: $1,150,000 City: Appling

View Details

Price: $1,150,000 City: Grovetown

View Details

Price: $1,150,000 City: Evans

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 8 Bathrooms: 7
View Details

Price: $1,100,000 City: Lincolnton

View Details

Price: $1,049,475 City: Augusta

View Details

Price: $998,000 City: Evans

Property Type: [type] Bedrooms: 6 Bathrooms: 6
View Details

Old 12-09-2007, 03:17 PM

383 posts, read 722,947 times
Some of the most expensive neighborhoods in metro augusta

Arcadia in Hephzibah
no pics

Bartram Trail in evans

Belair Estates a black upper middle class neighborhood in west augusta

Currytowne Station in North Augusta

Deerwood Acres in evans

Forest acres in augusta

Forest Hills in west augusta

Fox chase in aiken

Furey plantation in clarks hill

westlake, springlakes, jones creek, summerville, and many more throughout augusta, aiken, evans, martinez, and north augusta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area