Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:16 PM

446 posts, read 678,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd33 View Post
GAP closing in a mall is a big deal of Mobile, with a metro area over 400,000? Wow, I didn't know the city was struggling that much.
if you count Baldwin County into the metro area(CSA) it pulls it just over 600,000 but any store closing in Mobile is a big deal. A couple family dollars opened in Mobile and it was like the best thing that ever happened. Its a couple folks praying for upscale shopping(Macy's is considered upscale) and dining in Mobile but i have told them Mobile is not on a list of desirable places. Since Airbus is about done building the plant down there alot of people believe its a go to place for work/life in the south. Walmarts and shipbuilding and the Mobile County school system is the top jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 07:08 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
I think the mall craze is kind of over anyway. Augusta Mall is very large and nice and adequate for a market the size of Augusta. Now people are more into the open air lifestyle centers and town center type developments than the big bulky enclosed shopping malls that were all the rage of the 70s and 80s. I just don't think you are going to see anothe big enclosed mall in the area like Augusta Mall.
As for Regency, I think location was the primary reason it closed. Not because it was on the Southside but because it was too far off the I520. It should have been built around I520 and Windsor Spring. At the time it was built in the late 70s Tobacco rd was pretty sparsely populated. That area was pretty much countryside back then. A large mall really needs to be near an interstate or freeway. I have heard that a big outlet mall may be coming to the Grovetown area. Any word of confirmation on that?

Old 01-28-2015, 07:34 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,765 times
I may be wrong but arent there future plans for Dean Bridge Road in relation to the Fall Line Freeway? Could the Regency get 2 bite at the apple? Malls are still popular with people. that may not be the case with developers because of cost. When its 30 degrees outside or 95 degree outside, you would want to go inside a control climate environment.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:39 PM

The Fall Line Freeway is not an actual freeway. They just widened existing highways with a median.. but you still have stop lights. The part in Augusta is pretty much already finished anyway. The gap is between Macon and Wrens.. They jave finshed most of the section between Augusta and wrens.. but I do not see this having a major impact on Regency. It's been completely gutted anyway. the building is now just a shell. Fewer and fewer malls are being built.. in fact I cannot think of any new enclosed shopping malls built in the last 5 years. the concept is passe'. Here is an interesting article on the subject.http://www.businessinsider.com/shopp...extinct-2014-1

Old 01-28-2015, 07:48 PM

I wonder rather have a thriving downtown than a mall anyway

Old 01-28-2015, 07:49 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
I may be wrong but arent there future plans for Dean Bridge Road in relation to the Fall Line Freeway? Could the Regency get 2 bite at the apple? Malls are still popular with people. that may not be the case with developers because of cost. When its 30 degrees outside or 95 degree outside, you would want to go inside a control climate environment.
The Regency Mall area is dead sadly. No developer is going to touch that area especially with Columbia County exploding. At this point that area should serve as a large regional park, with plenty of greenspace.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:01 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,765 times
Developers dont think the cost is worth it to build, so i understand why none have been built lately. but if the Regency was to open up tommorow with decent tenants the parking lot would be jammed packed. Thats a fact. My theory is 2 enclosed malls are better than 1.... Outdoor lifestyle strip mall are ok but an enclosed mall is a better experience overall. As long as its still standing it can be a viable mall in the future. I dont think the community will allow the doors to close again.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:07 PM

That is the problem.. the only malls that are doing well are the more affluent ones with the more affluent stores. Augusta Mall is still not safe considering their main tenants are Macy's, JC penney's, Sears and Dillards. I guess you could say Dillards is the most ipscale anchor tenant but if you had two anchors like Sears and Penney's close together, then Augusta Mall would be in jeopardy. To survive Augusta Mall is going to need to attract more high end tenants and anchors. Otherwise its days may be numbered ling term. I see regency Mall being good as some type of vocational center or maybe office space, but it wont ever be a mall again for the same reasons it failed the first time. I am sure if Augusta Mall have it to do all over again they would have chosen a location off I20.. Say at Wheeler Rd o

Old 01-28-2015, 08:18 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
That is the problem.. the only malls that are doing well are the more affluent ones with the more affluent stores. Augusta Mall is still not safe considering their main tenants are Macy's, JC penney's, Sears and Dillards. I guess you could say Dillards is the most ipscale anchor tenant but if you had two anchors like Sears and Penney's close together, then Augusta Mall would be in jeopardy. To survive Augusta Mall is going to need to attract more high end tenants and anchors. Otherwise its days may be numbered ling term. I see regency Mall being good as some type of vocational center or maybe office space, but it wont ever be a mall again for the same reasons it failed the first time. I am sure if Augusta Mall have it to do all over again they would have chosen a location off I20.. Say at Wheeler Rd o
I get what you are saying. I believe as the urban area expands closer to McDuffie and Burke Counties a second mall could survive maybe at Tobacco Rd/Windsor Spring in South Augusta and or at Appling Harlem Rd and I-20 in deep west Columbia County say 15 years from now.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:02 PM

why a mall? It's an outdated concept. the trend is to open air lifestyle centers. There is a reason there has not been a larger enclose shopping mall built in the US since 2006
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area