Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 06:39 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,170,659 times

Advertisements

This would be a big boost to the logistics industry in the CSRA if this happened.

Quote:
Augusta should be in line to get one too, as the Georgia Ports Authority wants four more intermodal transfer points to make it easier for commerce to use the port as well as reduce truck congestion on highways.
The trouble Augusta faces is that an ideal location, where CSX and Norfolk Southern rail intersect, is wetlands or the swamp.
“We need to find the right site. That’s been the thing that’s slowed us up,” said Walter Sprouse, the executive director of the Augusta Economic Development Authority. “We need to find a piece of property that will work and fit for both of them, or else, we’ll go with one of the two rail companies.”
Sprouse said there have been discussions with state and rail officials about the possibility – something that is a priority for the development authority.
Curtis Foltz, the executive director of the Georgia Ports Authority, confirmed Thursday that Augusta is “on the radar” for an inland port.
Augusta eyed as crossroads for inland port for shipping | The Augusta Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 07:10 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,914,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
This would be a big boost to the logistics industry in the CSRA if this happened.

Augusta eyed as crossroads for inland port for shipping | The Augusta Chronicle
This would be a nice addition however like many other opportunities, the state has kinda handicapped Augusta in regards to infrastructure. Even if they build this, where does the cargo go from there? To Atlanta? Augusta needs some type of north south connection or it will continue to be left out in regards to logistics investments.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:36 PM

I concur, a north-south interstate running between Greenville and Savannah would be a huge boon for Augusta. Also making interstate 14 a reality would be beneficial for Augusta.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:13 PM

I seriously don't understand why Augusta isn't connected to the third busiest port in the country and the largest MSA in South Carolina.

http://www.joc.com/port-news/us-port..._20150805.html

Old 08-07-2015, 11:02 PM

121 posts, read 109,848 times
Because of the system of Georgia,s all roads lead to atlanta

Old 08-07-2015, 11:22 PM

423 posts, read 448,370 times
Quote:
I concur, a north-south interstate running between Greenville and Savannah would be a huge boon for Augusta. Also making interstate 14 a reality would be beneficial for Augusta.
I dont see them building an interstate like that, not with interstate 26 already built and connecting Greenville to Savannah.
One from Greenville to Augusta does makes sense but from there I would actually have it go to Macon or Swainsboro though if they do Swainsboro it should also go to either Tifton or Valdosta.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:21 AM

Interstate 26 doesn't connect Greenville to Savannah. It connects Spartanburg to Charleston. As of now there is no direct north-south interstate connecting Savannah and Greenville.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:48 AM

We are talking about zero direct connection between three cities that pretty soon will total over two million people and billions of dollars worth of cargo between upstate South Carolina, Augusta and the port of Savannah.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:53 AM

423 posts, read 448,370 times
Quote:
Interstate 26 doesn't connect Greenville to Savannah. It connects Spartanburg to Charleston. As of now there is no direct north-south interstate connecting Savannah and Greenville.
I forget that you have to change over to that small section of 95 from 26 but it would probably only shave off about 45 minutes from the current travel time for those coming from Greenville to Savannah.
That is why I would recommend having it go from Augusta to either Macon or Swainsboro, if it goes to Macon they could do a connection from there to Columbus and if it were to Swainsboro they could build on from there to either Tifton or Valdosta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area